Major problem with my phone. Verizon saying I need to get a different type phone!

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Please help me. I am at my wits end and I do not want to get rid of my windows phone.

I am on my 4th HTC 8x and my 3rd SIM card. I have had big problems with the data connection and also SIM card errors. 2 days ago I got my 4th phone due to connection and phone problems. (SIM card error, random reboots, etc.) My new phone now will not connect to 4g. Example: I turn my phone off and back on and it connects to 4g. But while being connected no data services work. I can make phone calls. After 5-10 minutes the phone will revert to 3g but only a couple bars and the data sucks and is slow and intermittently working.

I spent a couple of hours with Verizon today trying to figure this out. With Verizon we contacted HTC and Microsoft and still no resolution. Verizon has now recommended I look for a new type of phone. This can not be the only resolution. I want this phone and I just want it to work.

Yes I am in an excellent coverage area. I've side by side tests with my friends HTC 8x on Verizon and while he has full 4g I am stuck with 2 bars on 3g.

What do I do?

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Ask for a Nokia Lumia maybe... But I don't really no another solution sorry
that's a very biased response. I know 4 people with an 8X on Verizon and it works fine. Try contacting HTC, sounds like software problems with the most recent update I heard about.

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I've been having this problem for 4 months. This is my 4th replacement. Its not the most recent update. I'm wondering if getting a completely new phone number would fix it. Although that's a bummer, but I would do that before getting a different phone.

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I downloaded the hardware tests app and when my phone is on 4g lte I have no GPS and it says I am not connected to a network. Although text and phone calls work. When I am on 3g those all show connected. I got stuck on LTE for the past hour finally after multiple reboots my phone is on 3g now.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Quit telling him to get a Nokia. He wants the 8X and it should work correctly.

This is pretty weird, and I have a number of 4G phones on my Verizon business account but have not seen this. It's unbelievable that Verizon can't fix this and I can only believe that it is something in your account settings, not the phone. If it were me, I would try posting this on HowardForums. There are a number of Verizon employees on there. I would also call Verizon tech support and talk to a supervisor and see if they can get you to a level 3 tech.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
For those saying get a Nokia, Verizon switched me from the 822 to the 8X after having problems with my original 822 and its replacement. A properly working 8X shouldn't be experiencing these problems (or any other phone for that matter).

OP hopefully someone with Verizon can get you a working 8X. It is a really nice phone when working properly.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Are you trying to resolve over the phone with Verizon? or are you actually taking the phone into a Verizon store?

Have you installed any applications? If so which one?

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi palandri,

I've done most troubleshooting over the phone. The only time I went into Verizon was to swap a sim card awhile ago. I put a new sim card and had it activated last night and still I am stuck on 3g. While on 4g I have no data signal and my GPS doesn't work either. Phone calls work.

Yes I've installed apps. But I've also tested with and without restoring apps after fresh reboots. The problem exists either way. I really don't want either the 822 or 928.

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I am wondering if a new phone number would fix this? Deleting this number completely and adding a new number to my business account. Although that would suck too as I've had this number for years.

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
First thing to do is swap the SIM card. Make sure you tell them you want a recently made SIM. I had all kinds of problems with my 8x. Older LTE Sims don't play well with the newer hardware. They might be using year old SIM cards. I had mine replaced with a new shipment card months ago! Bingo! Now its the best phone I have ever used.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Foroplex

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
First thing to do is swap the SIM card. Make sure you tell them you want a recently made SIM. I had all kinds of problems with my 8x. Older LTE Sims don't play well with the newer hardware. They might be using year old SIM cards. I had mine replaced with a new shipment card months ago! Bingo! Now its the best phone I have ever used.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Foroplex

Yeah, but better yet, swap the sim with your friend who has an 8X and see what happens. That would tell you for sure if it was your phone or your account.

robotaholic

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Are you completely sure that you live in Verizon 4G area? You might be in a 3G area where they are only testing 4G and they will not allow customers to continuously connect to the 4G signal at that location yet.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Step 1) Connect to wifi and check for software/firmware updates. The newest 8X firmware update fixes the SIM card issues
Step 2) Go into settings and try switching the roaming modes and network modes. I've found that with the 822 that switching to Roam and making it CDMA/LTE has fixed connection issues. Sometimes switching to Global from CDMA fixes it. Really strange, but my 8X works 100% so I imagine it's something in your settings as opposed to an issue with the phone.

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Ok this is fixed. Just had a string of bad luck. Got a new phone at Verizon today, new SIM card, and its working fine. Just had bad luck with the refurbished replacements I suppose. Everything is good now.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Exactly why i don't do refurbished phones or deal with carrier nonsense. I go around ATT and straight to the manufacturer. Sounds like your local Verzon store is better than my ATT one. Theyre useless. Grats though, enjoy your phone sir/madam!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb