8x Buy or die?

Alex trebek

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
OK. So I currently have a 2 year old Android phone. I really like android and contribute over at Android Central. Now upgrade time is coming, so I was wondering, make the switch? I need: good keyboard, a nice interface (customization, not overly complicated) decent battery life, a nice looking phone, and a good UI. Camera really doesn't matter to me. I know this is the 8x section, but I was just wondering if any previous Android owners have had a good time.

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
i haven't had an android but i would at least go with a nokia lumia 820 and of course if you can get a 920 because nokia will always be supporting you unlike htc and samsung, keyboard is great, and everything else is good th only problem might be battery it really depends on your luck lol, but i get around 7 hours before i get to 40 percent

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, Windows Phone 8 arguably checks off all your boxes, but there are some gripes that avid users of Android consistently bring up... Notifications for example are handled very differently on WP. We have live tiles as opposed to a centralized notification center. If an app's notifications matter to you, better pin it to your start screen. A native notification center is rumored to be coming to WP in a future update, but it still could be several months away. Also I'm a firm believer in getting the phone that best meets your needs right out of the box.

More importantly, there is a fundamental difference in philosophy between the two OSs. Android is kind of app-centric. (ie: what do I want to do? I want to Facebook somebody? Skype somebody? Check out a friend's webpage? Then you open the corresponding app and do that thing) Windows Phone is people-centric. (ie: who do I want to connect with? Select them from the people hub, and then chose how you want to connect with them-write on their wall, Skype, check out their site, call, text, IM etc from the people hub)

WP does offer some customization, but it's severely lacking in comparison to Android, especially in some areas that are arguably very basic, like separate volume profiles for music, ringer, games, etc or the ability to make custom alert tones.
Ultimately what I recommend is this: if your carrier has some sort of trial period, take advantage of it. Test drive the WP of your choice and decide for yourself if it's really for you. Everyone I know who made the switch is happy, but even as a devout ****** I recognize that WP isn't for everyone. If your carrier doesn't have a trial period, consider picking up an inexpensive device like the Nokia Lumia 620, which can be purchased for around$225-$250 outright. This will allow you to get familiar with the OS without blowing your upgrade.

I love WP, and I'm fairly certain you will too! If you decide to take the plunge, keep us posted!

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Since you mentioned keyboard, please be aware that there is no skpe. You can't change the keyboard layout or customize like its in android. That said, wp8 is a nice lag free OS.

Try out wp before making the decision.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I came from Android. If you want a short answer as to my experiences with WP8, it can be summed up in one sentence:

I completely erased my Google account and switched to Hotmail 100% a few weeks ago.

If that doesn't tell you enough, allow me to explain:

I was a huge Google ******, and I always recommended an Android phone over anything else simply because it was awesome for me! Didn't even think about WP at the time (2010). Then, six months into my Fascinate, I noticed lag. A LOT OF IT. I was frustrated, but I had to deal with it. I eventually rooted it because that was the only way out of the lag. Then, my upgrade came and I got WP8. Boy, am I satisfied! Six months into my new 8X, and it's still going strong. It has everything i need, and then some. I didn't use all the features of my Android device, so WP is perfect for me (not to mention my extreme devotion to Microsoft's products). Furthermore, it helps to be delved into the MS ecosystem, i.e. without Xbox Live, SkyDrive, Outlook, or Xbox Music, WP might be hard to use, for lack of a better term. But it always helps to give it a try first. It is different, but if you're like me and hate the mainstream consumer, go with WP. That said, it is solely your decision.

oosagi

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I was a huge Blackberry fan, and Android fan. I will second the post above that after I got my windows 8 phone I actually dumped google and went full on hotmail.

I have never been the type of person that was ever satisfied with the tech that I had..i was always looking at the next greatest thing.

Ever since I have had my 920....i have nit even been remotely inclined to look at Android....or any other phone / OS.

Windows 8 phone has been that good for me.

chomsky11

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I'd been Android ever since the OG Droid Incredible came out, then when my Verizon contract ended I tried out the Focus S on AT&T. I loved it, so much fun to use as opposed to the relatively boring interface w/Android. I then promptly lost it, and couldn't afford to replace so I went back to a cheapie Android phone. A couple weeks ago I picked up the 8X and I'm loving it. I've gotten a lot of comments on the design and am loving the updated WP8 functionality. Apps are still an issue, but like a couple of the above comments I've never wanted to weigh down my phone with dozens of apps I seldom use and there are enough core quality apps to get you by with daily use. Would I love to have a native Google Maps app? Sure, but in my case it doesn't interfere with my daily life. Give the 8X a try, though it DID just basically go EOL on T Mobile.

Westiemom

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Android gal here.....owned quite a few and always said I'd have nothing else. It was about as bold as jumping out of a plane for me, but I decided to risk trying another OS. All I got to say is, LOVE my 8X and can't imagine going back to Android. Don't miss a thing and enjoy using this phone so much more than any other I've had.

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Rooted and flashaholic thunderbolt user here. I am extremely satisfied with my 8X! Have had it many months, and still am in love.
I tried to use my daughters old Droid to work on some apps for her. Oh my freaking God, it drove me nuts! The lag, the keyboard, the ugly screen, all those apps, ugh! Gave it back to her and leaned to my wife, and told her "now I see what you meant about my old android phone"
She hated my old android, but actually likes the windows phone OS, and she is an apple fan girl!
So it is a whole different world, but one that you will find good to be in.
Sent from my wicked sexy HTC 8X windows phone using Board Express

NickNick43

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Was a long time Gmail user and I also now use Ms everything. Had wp7 for 9 months then back to android and when I switched carriers there was some wavering but no doubt that I would be using a wp8 device. Loving the slick black 8x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro