After a reset I can't log-in on set-up so no option to restore from backup

TrampCorpse

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I have been having a horrible time with my battery (20% average discharge rate) and I'm currently in a back and forth with HTC which is outright ridiculous. Telling me to basically turn off all services bar calls and text to improve battery life. But I'm doing the things they say to see if my battery improves. SO I've backed up my phone and done a hard reset. From what i read when i log in to my MS account during the set up it should give me the option to restore. However my phone won't log-into my account during set-up. I have decent reception (H+) at this point but it just won't log-in. It brings up a message saying " Can't Connect - We're having a problem with signing in. Make sure that you have good reception. If you do, the problem may be at the other end. Wait a little while and try again." then the option to Skip or Close. I can sign in once i gte passed this bit but by then it's too late. I believe you have to restore during set-up or not at all.

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
This will be because the phone is trying to connect to MS before the data settings for your network have been correctly configured. The only solution is to have access to a local wifi network instead.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
This will be because the phone is trying to connect to MS before the data settings for your network have been correctly configured. The only solution is to have access to a local wifi network instead.

But there is no way to connect to a WiFi before the option to restore from cloud backup appears -another weird design decision by Microsoft

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
D'oh yes of course you are right. I might be doing a reset on a phone later tonight so if I can spot a way around this I will let you know.

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Ok, did a reset tonight. At first I couldn't sign in, so I left the phone for about 5 minutes and then tried again and it worked. Wonder if it just takes a few minutes sometimes?

TrampCorpse

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Just to update. I went right into the centre of Belfast where the 3G is full blast (where i live is touch and go) and still couldn't get this restore to work. I've given up trying because everytime i want to try i have to wipe my phone again.:angry: Does anyone know why we can't do restore over Wifi?

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Yep, it has to be connected to the data for your network before it can get your backup from your MS account. On Verizon, it picks the network up pretty quick and you are able to log in to your account. Don't know why you don't have the option for that soon, but it must be something in the OS design. Because if you don't sign in to your MS account at the very first, then go back and sign in and try to get a backup, you can't do it. Yeah, the only thing I can say is reset, get to the sign-in screen, and wait for a while.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I know your pain. I reset my phone in a place with no service but wifi, and I had to drive, sit in my car, in the rain, and wait for my phone to restore from backup. To be honest, Microsoft overlooked a LOT of stupid things in WP8.

dol4er

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
How can I backup everything on the phone at once - phonebook, text messages, all settings and photos? Also, can I backup a list of my apps?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa