Thinking about getting n 8X

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello there:smile:

I'm an SG3 owner who's thinking about jumping platforms. I have a Surface RT and adore it. I know Windows 8 and Windows phone 8 are different, but I'm a big fan of the metro UI. A store near me is selling HTC 8Xs pretty cheap unlocked, and I'm wondering if some owners of this phone could give me some info/advice and share their thought about whether this phone is worth getting. I've watched a few reviews on youtube, but its good to hear from people who actually own the device.

Please share your experiences/thoughts.

Thanx in advance.:wink:

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
You will have some people, like me, who love it and have not really had any problems. You will get others that don't like it and are sorry they got it. You could go to verizonwireless.com and att.com and read the reviews. There are a lot of people like you who moved from a SG3. For me, I love the ergonomics and look. The storage for me is plenty, as I have xbox music and stream most of my music. The battery life will last all day for me with moderate use and everything on and four active email accounts.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree with "gapost". This phone has been the best. When you take the time to configure everything right; tiles, accounts, people, groups, etc, it is by far one of the easiest and efficient os's out there.

The camera is great and lowlight is too (using Proshot).
It does lack the Android openess and alot of Android features, but none of those features affected me, so I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

How much are you getting yours for?

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
So, in this forum you'll see ppl with different needs met by the many WP 8 devices out there. To be fair, most Windows 8 phones are manufactured by Nokia, so you'll see plenty of diehard Nokia fans here, but that's not to say that other devices aren't great...its just that Nokia offers more devices. Just wanted to clear that up in case you were wondering.

Now, I chose the HTC 8x over any of the other Nokia windows devices (The Samsung Ativ s was not offered here.) because when I went to a local store and I saw both the HTC and Nokia phones, I knew immediately that the Lumia was too thick and bulky for me. I immediately fell in love with the 8x! The soft touch feel, the slim pillowy build was sooo well done and unique- I've never seen or felt a phone like it. The Windows OS is fluid across the board, so you should have no worries there. The exclusive apps that the Lumia has, I found that I have no use for. Nokia offered a free turn by turn voice navigation for every Windows Phone owner, so I have that also! :) After I purchased the phone, I started noticing many threads of the manufacturer issues that unfortunately alot of Lumia owners were facing. I felt bad for them, but I was glad I made the decision to purchase the 8x.

To conclude, any issues (minor) that I have seen were OS related and not build quality or manufacturer related. Don't get me wrong, every phone in the world has owners with some issues, but for me its been pretty close to perfect....and I have no regrets at all! :)

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I've had the 8X since December. Honestly, I wish I would have waits for the 928 (I'm on VZW). The 8X is great but I wish I had more memory and the Nokia camera apps.

Other than that, the 8X is great. Its fast and feels great in the hand. Its the best looking phone out there IMO. I get lots of questions about it. I have the blue one. The bottom corners are getting dirty but its holding up well considering I am a heavy user.

The battery life is excellent unless I'm playing lots of games.

If you can get it for a good deal, I highly recommend grabbing it.

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses ��

I've read a lot of contradictory stuff about battery life. Is it a problem? Also, how much storage is available to the user on the phone? Thanks again.

Westiemom

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Peaceful Berry, my 8x has been close to perfect. I am a long-time Android user and just got an impulse, don't know why, to make a big switch last January. I think I was a little bored with Android. I have been very glad I did and have had absolutely no regrets. That is just my experience....I can't say if you would like it because we all like or need something different. As for apps, I have found all I want in the Windows store. Of the bijillions of apps available for Android I always found you had to be careful because quantity doesn't always equal quality. I had quite a few mess up my phone.... Not so with Windows apps. And the Here Drive has been a great voice guided navigation app! And you can download maps so that you can use it offline, which means even if you end up in one those areas with a gap in service, you can still use your navigation.
I think I would have trouble going back to Android because I would miss the live tiles and constant feed of information too much. An Android home screen looks so boring in comparison with those little lifeless icons. Plus the call quality and reliability have been so much better than the last Android I had, which was the Galaxy Nexus.
I have had no problem with battery life since the Portico update. I go all day easily and that is with steaming Pandora at work for around 3 to 4 hours a day and again for another hour when I walk (for exercise) after work. I usually have 35 to 45 percent left around 8:00 in the evening, and that is after taking it off the charging pad around 5:30 a.m.
So from my experience I recommend the 8x. It's a beautiful phone!

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Pros:
* Cheap, high-end, high-quality phone
* Probably the best looking mobile device ever created
* Quick and zippy, without a single instance of slowdown anywhere (for me)
* Fantastic screen; colours, pictures and video really pops.
* Some people may consider the Beats Audio software a little gimmicky, but I've definitely noticed great differences in audio and music quality when compared with another phone. A plus for me anyway.
* Excellent, responsive camera
* Perfect size and weight, very ergonomic, feels natural to hold

Cons:
* Battery life isn't AMAZING. I could probably go 8 hours of heavy use in a single go, but isn't that true for most power-hungry smartphones these days? A normal person could easily squeeze a day of life out of the phone.
* Only 16gigs of internal storage with no option to expand. Thus far, it's been plenty for me, and I've not even half filled the phone (this includes music, pics and vids) Plus, you have 7 GBs of Skydrive storage to play around with, which should be more than enough for all your media.
* The hard buttons (power, volume rocker) are a little too flush to the device, making them sometimes tricky to press. You get the hang of it though.
* HTC don't seem as committed to WP8 as Nokia are, especially since the great critical reception the HTC One got. That's not to say they'll abandon the 8X; just don't expect the same love and adoration Nokia lavish upon their Lumia range.

All told, I'm definitely happy with my purchase. It's not often people stop and ask questions about your phone in this age of cookie-cutter iPhones and copy and paste Galaxy S3s and 4s. The striking design of the hardware and the elegant operating system attract many a curious eye :wink:

Best phone I've ever had.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses ����

I've read a lot of contradictory stuff about battery life. Is it a problem? Also, how much storage is available to the user on the phone? Thanks again.

I have to say that most of the Windows 8 devices have not so great battery life, with the exception of maybe the 521, because its only 8GB of storage. But I've learned to turn off services that I don't need, like NFC, location and some background tasks that I don't need. You learn to get used it. I would say between 12-14+ GB of storage out the box. I think I had closer to 14 GB, but each carrier may be different.

papahood

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
this is my first windows phone coming over from a galaxy s2. I've had several android phones and one iphone and I can honestly say i like this one the best so far. I don't get any lag in the phone, the battery life is pretty good, ( off charger at 6am and back on at 11pm with moderate use and still at 40%), and it's easy to figure out. I know some people will say there's just not enough customization, and so far, as far as I can tell, they are right. BUT, I did all that with android phones, even as far as putting on a custom rom on and all that and I just got bored with it. I love the live tiles and the how everything ties in with my pc and skydrive. Storage is not an issue yet as I still have over 9gig of free space plus like someone mentioned above you still have skydrive space too. Overall I am extremely pleased with this phone and from what I've been reading they are going to keep rolling out the updates to keep this bad boy running good.

Elephant2000

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Pros:

* HTC don't seem as committed to WP8 as Nokia are, especially since the great critical reception the HTC One got. That's not to say they'll abandon the 8X; just don't expect the same love and adoration Nokia lavish upon their Lumia range.

All the Nokia exclusive apps and support make me feel left behind. As much as I like mine, I am disappointed in the lack of support from Htc. As an owner of an 8x, I cannot recommend any Windows Phone not made by Nokia.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I loved my 8x! Best looking phone I have ever seen! Feels awesome in the hand, everybody stops and asks about it! It really in beautiful. If your not familiar with Windows Phone, it doesn't really matter the specs, the cool thing about Windows Phone is that every single one of them are fast! Single core or dual core, you can't tell.

I just upgraded from my 8x to the 928 and I miss a lot of things about the 8x. The size, weight, Beats audio, and just the attention I got from everybody saying how beautiful it is! Lol

It's a great phone though, 9/10 times if somebody is talking smack about it, they never even owned it! Ps: I'm selling my blue one in perfect condition for $300 if your interested! Just pm me

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I would go to the store and handle the phone. Many claim that it is comfortable to hold but the tapered edges feel horrible in my hand. Its a great looking phone but I decided to wait for the 928. If it feels good to you go for it. Many hate htc but my trophy has served me well.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I would go to the store and handle the phone. Many claim that it is comfortable to hold but the tapered edges feel horrible in my hand. Its a great looking phone but I decided to wait for the 928. If it feels good to you go for it. Many hate htc but my trophy has served me well.

I agree the tapered edges are a bit awkward, I'm assuming he'll throw a case on it which turns it into the prefect size imo

anon5658834

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Windows phone battery life is far better than Android. I had the Nokia Lumia 620 running with a mere 1,300mAh battery and with average daily usage sometimes heavy it got me through the days easily. It also is great on standby as the S4 chip is efficient. On Wi fi also battery lasts ages on 620

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again for the insights.

So I was playing with an 8X in store today. I have handled one before, but not with the mindset of a potential buyer. It feels amazing in the hand. Its a little worrying that the screen ripples when you squeeze the phone.

What's audio playback like?

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again for the insights.

So I was playing with an 8X in store today. I have handled one before, but not with the mindset of a potential buyer. It feels amazing in the hand. Its a little worrying that the screen ripples when you squeeze the phone.

What's audio playback like?

Listening to Music on it as I type this.
I have to say, the phone can make a cheap pair of headphones sound decent. Crystal clear audio.

My phone has totally replaced my iPod.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
How's durability? To be honest its so pretty I don't really want to cover it.

Well I managed to drop kick mine across the floor screen down and it hasn't got a scratch on it - I have also dropped it a couple of times from a couple of feet onto a corner and luckily have only had a little chip appear on the black coating in the top corner.

That's not to say that its unbreakable. I know someone that smashed the screen after a two foot drop, so guess its just luck. There were reports of the soft touch covering wearing thin and not to put the phone in a jeans pocket. To be honest my phone spends 5-6 hours a day in my pocket and since I got the phone in November I haven't got any fading or discolouration on my coating.

I do think its down to luck of the draw though - obviously there are devices out there with faults and my first 8x had to be replaced in the first month I had it but I think they are in the minority now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)