The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    So I knew the horror stories from my Android fans who had bad experiences with their HTC Android phones, and I was so excited to get the latest WP8 hotness at launch that I grabbed an HTC 8X. Everyone talks about how fantastic it is, and honestly, if it I didn't have so many damned issues with it later on, it would still be fantastic. However, it's been about 7 months in now, and I'd like to post this disclaimer.

1st - SIM Problem. Will not go away. My phone constantly thinks the SIM is bad. Phone constantly needs rebooted. At first it didn't happen at all. Then it started happening only a couple of times. Now it happens constantly. Really annoying.

2nd - Phone powering itself off. Again, didn't happen before. Now it's constantly. Phone persistently turns itself off in my pocket. Annoying as all Hell.

Work phone, and I have *multiple* of these phones deployed, so I am quite pissed at HTC over this. Luckily, our work plan allows upgrades each year as opposed to every 2 years, so I can get everyone moved to 928s fairly cheaply.

Disappointed. I really loved my HTC for awhile, but I can't deal with these issues constantly. I'd rather have something a bit more solid. Next time, going with Nokia.
    06-23-2013 09:09 PM
    Its a pretty phone and i have a htc phone too (android) i really like the beats feature cause im always listening to music but the nokia camera is so nice. Kinda waiting on sprint to release something :P
    06-23-2013 09:37 PM
    So I knew the horror stories from my Android fans who had bad experiences with their HTC Android phones, and I was so excited to get the latest WP8 hotness at launch that I grabbed an HTC 8X. Everyone talks about how fantastic it is, and honestly, if it I didn't have so many damned issues with it later on, it would still be fantastic. However, it's been about 7 months in now, and I'd like to post this disclaimer.

1st - SIM Problem. Will not go away. My phone constantly thinks the SIM is bad. Phone constantly needs rebooted. At first it didn't happen at all. Then it started happening only a couple of times. Now it happens constantly. Really annoying.

2nd - Phone powering itself off. Again, didn't happen before. Now it's constantly. Phone persistently turns itself off in my pocket. Annoying as all Hell.

Work phone, and I have *multiple* of these phones deployed, so I am quite pissed at HTC over this. Luckily, our work plan allows upgrades each year as opposed to every 2 years, so I can get everyone moved to 928s fairly cheaply.

Disappointed. I really loved my HTC for awhile, but I can't deal with these issues constantly. I'd rather have something a bit more solid. Next time, going with Nokia.
    The Portico updates didn't fix the reboot problems?
    06-23-2013 09:38 PM
    Using the latest version. No dice. I might have to call up Verizon and see what can be done. It didn't help that I had to hand off a *beautiful* 928 to another employee, which I just drooled over. Again, when it worked, I liked my phone a lot, but the two problems listed above have really been bogging me down.
    06-23-2013 11:06 PM
    Just want to state here that I love Windows Phone 8 as an OS, and I'd really love to see it pass over that 10% marketshare metric so that app developers would wake up and start developing for it. This is more of an HTC issue I'm having.
    06-23-2013 11:07 PM
    My story is the opposite to yours... I have had nothing but problems with my 920 (I have been so disappointed by my experience) but my 8X hasn't given me any problems.
    Kon Stanze likes this.
    06-23-2013 11:24 PM
    Personally, I've been happy with my 8X. Only reboots itself about once a month. With all the news, I'd be a little wary about a jump to Nokia.
    06-24-2013 05:49 AM
    I have a Verizon business account and multiple Windows Phones. My phone is a Verizon 8X and I love it and it doesn't have these issues and neither does my wife's. You really need to contact Verizon business and they will replace it. On the 928, I ordered one on my last week and tried it and am switching back to my 8X. 928 is a nice phone, but I missed the sleekness of the 8X and the Beats audio.
    06-24-2013 05:54 AM
    i loved my 8x and kinda miss it. :( the size and Beats meant a lot to me
    06-24-2013 10:12 AM
    I've never had a smartphone without problems, but my 8X has been pretty kind to me thusfar.
    Westiemom likes this.
    06-24-2013 10:49 AM
    I also have issues with my phone. I've had my 8X for almost one month. I really liked. It's the prettiest device I've ever had. Love its color, design, sleekness, and even Beats Audio. However, last week I noticed it started to get those damn black corners... I love HTC, but come on! It's always been in a case, and I'm a f***ing germ-phobic, so I prevent any external material from reaching my device. *sigh* However, I still like it. I found a thread where people experienced this same problem and solved it (hand sanitizer and rubbing continuously. Haven't tried yet, though...) But make no mistake, this is my first WP device, and I really love it. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing these issues with your 8x. I haven't had any of those issues with mine.
    06-24-2013 10:14 PM
    Since I put tape on the backside of the SIM card in my 8X the SIM issue went away forever. Never experienced the random shut offs.
    06-25-2013 01:04 PM
    Which problems? I need to make a choice soon as well.
    06-25-2013 02:04 PM
    Best Windows Phone on Verizon is Nokia 928. And its not even close.
    06-25-2013 03:06 PM
    In my opinion the only clear advantages the 928 have over the 8X are storage and camera. I've found the 8X to be more reliable than the 822 I had before and most of the Nokia apps aren't that important to me. Now if both phones are the same price definitely get the 928 because the extra storage is nice.

To the op: have you discussed your problems with Verizon? Sounds like you could get a warranty replacement to me. Hope you can get a good phone, it is really frustrating to have one that doesn't work as it should.
    06-25-2013 03:13 PM
    I picked up an ATIV S and beyond love it. Only downsides are the lack of beats and speed of the camera due to the HTC 8X having a dedicated imaging chip (the ATIV takes a sharper picture though)
    Last edited by eric12341; 06-29-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: removed unconstructive statement
    06-26-2013 03:28 AM