10-05-2013 06:53 PM
41 12
tools
    Both a friend of mine and me combined have owned several phones from HTC. They all look good, but the quality.... "well... Its HTC..." as my friend would say.

I had only one problem with my Lumia and it was a pretty major issue. My phone was bricked after a reset to factory settings and I don't know if its an issue with the OS or the phone itself, but my Lumia never seemed to be flawed until that day.

It's a mix of build quality and bad luck that decides whether your phone will last or not. Nokia definitely has an edge over HTC on quality, but any phone can be defective.
    metalchick719 likes this.
    07-06-2013 02:39 PM
    Little bit over 6 months with my 8X and my experience is quite the opposite. I would say that you just have a defective unit which can happen despite OS,OEM or carrier.
    07-06-2013 03:36 PM
    That sucks. I have had my 8x for about 6 months as well and I haven't experienced those problems. I usually keep my phone in the case so I never had that "peeling" issue. and I don't have a screen protector on mine and I do not have any scratches on the screen. I do get the random reboots as well which can be very annoying but other than that all is well. I hope everything works out for you.
    Last edited by slap0rama; 07-07-2013 at 11:07 PM. Reason: I wanted to add something
    07-07-2013 11:05 PM
    I've had my 8x for about 6 months. Previous to that I owned a Blackberry 9900 and before that a Blackberry 9700. I think the phone is great. Overall, the best phone I've ever had. As far as the bugs that people are reporting, I am not having those issues as much. I have seen the phone do a random reboot maybe 4 times since I've had it. Seems normal to me. I've had the static sounding speaker issue once, rebooted and it went away. I like the windows platform alot and though it doesn't have many apps, it has the apps that matter. And that makes a world of difference. I never had a screen protector on it and never had one scratch on the phone. I do have an outside case which keeps the phone looking brand new.

My two complaints would be........no expandable memory.......I have to transfer stuff off my phone to my computer to free up space.
    The battery life/none replaceable battery......I wish the battery lasted longer

It's a great phone and the beats audio is a huge plus for me........and I purchased my phone form Craig's list and it still works great.....so much so that I convinced my girlfriend to get an lumia 810. She had hers for about a month. She absolutely loves it. Prior to that she had a sensation. I still think my phone looks better and has a better display than hers but her phone has a much better battery life, more apps and expandable memory (thats the big bonus),
    07-08-2013 06:51 PM
    I bought the phone pretty much instantly upon release. There were some hints on this forum suggesting they made changes to the coating to eliminate the issue I had there in later batches (bummer).

Regarding the warranty, that one's my fault. Bought the phone while staying temporarily in Hong Kong. Warranty only covered HK & China (bummer).
    07-10-2013 12:53 AM
    I had same problem with my HTC 8X !!!!!!!!!!! i am so dissapointed of this telephone everytime i use call my screen was on and off and its really difficult to take off call because i cannot see the screen. here in norway its costing much!! i think i just wasting money to buy HTC X8!
    07-10-2013 03:38 AM
    I love the operating system and I love the feel of the phone, but the MMS/group text issues are still killing me and that is specific to Verizon, not the phone. I did have an issue with the power button last week, but was under warranty and was able to send it back for a "new" phone. That also took care of the peeling corners.
    07-10-2013 07:23 AM
    Damn that sucks. The call quality is awful though. I got my 8X in release day, never replaced it, got few microscratches, dripped it numerous times and never used a case and its still up and running with only fading on corners, still barely visible. Few nicks but no peeling whatso ever. Its been a tank and a beauty.
    07-10-2013 07:32 AM
    Bought the phone in February. Already switched back to my 3 year old iPhone 4.

Call quality was terrible and although many are claiming big name apps are coming or are already there most of them are just garbage compared to the same apps found in the iPhone app store.

Really upset I didnt go with the iPhone 5.
    07-10-2013 11:36 AM
    That's another point I completely forgot to mention indeed. The phone quality sucks. Not loud enough by a long shot.
    07-12-2013 07:18 AM
    I just wanted to say that I got my black Verizon 8X in early January and I've had none of these problems. I don't have a case and keep my phone in my pocket a lot, and I have absolutely no peeling. Call quality is fine, never had a random reboot, no scratches, and the speaker works fine.

I guess HTC (as well as some other manufacturers) really have to work on quality control.

And I guess I should feel lucky I got one of the good ones. Sorry to hear about everyone else's problems!
    07-12-2013 11:57 AM
    I bought 8X last year a November. Liked design, screen size and weight. I didn't go to Nokia that time, phone looks too heavy, too big, but it was my biggest mistake. Two months ago I switched to Nokia Lumia 920.
    HTX 8X was last product I bought from HTC! Even if no other vendors will be alive, except of HTC, I won't buy anything from them! Biggest ZERO support!
    Stupid idiots behind some parts of design! What ***** put power button of the top of phone!??? Why volume button should be such hard-to-find things when you in call? 16Gb of storage and no SD card? Are you kidding? Camera quality is awful. Especially in indoor environment.

I know you guyz can say a lot of good words about 8X, and I still own it, but be a realist. Nokia is the only vendor who cares about Windows Phone! Yes, Lumia 920 also not ideal phone, but its far far better that 8X.
    07-13-2013 10:58 AM
    agreed. day one loved my blue 8X and shortly after is looked worse than a 5 year old device... then HTC saying "cell phones shouldn't be carried in your pocket and should always have a case" put a nail in the coffin for me... picked up an ATIV S and seriously I am 100X happier.
    07-14-2013 05:50 AM
    Hello,

I've had mine since March and touch wood had no problems with it, I do have an official case from HTC, since the update from Three UK, I have had no issue with signal or connection like I did beforehand, If I was to choose again though I would go for Nokia the only reason I didn't this time was it was a little too expensive for the 920 when my contract was up for renewal
    07-15-2013 03:02 AM
    Bye bye 8X, hello 1020 :)
    10-02-2013 08:49 PM
    10-05-2013 06:53 PM
41 12