HTC 8X - 6 months since purchase, worst phone I've owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willyman

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, I don't know where to begin to express how disappointed I am in this phone. Thoroughly regret not getting the Lumia 920 at the time. I chose the 8X as I liked how it felt in my hand better and reviews were (in general) very positive. But once again, I was proven that reviews don't tell you anything about long term use. I really like WP8, despite its flaws and don't plan to go back to iOS anytime soon, but this will have been my last HTC phone.

I bought the phone in January this year, so pretty much 6 months ago and the list of stuff that is malfunctioning, performing sub-par or straight up broken is long.
  • Black coating has come off all 4 corners, revealing the shiny black plastic underneath. Hideous.
  • The loudspeaker started rattling and sounding distorted a few months in.
  • The loudness level when making a call is waaaay to low. Never had this issue with other phones.
  • Screen scratches very easily, dispite never placing it in my pocket near keys or coins
  • Still suffers from random reboots... seriously, they had enough time to fix this.

Buying a Lumia 925 or the new 1020(?) as soon as I can.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your bad experience! I have had my 8x since day 1. Haven't had a major issue. Maybe I'm lucky. Hope you enjoy your Nokia Lumia when you get your hands on it!

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That does suck. My 8x has been favorite. Had the reboots for only two weeks about four months ago, then they just stopped. You're right; the screen does scratch easily. I think gorilla glass 2 is better than 3. The only complaint I have is no Nokia apps. My next phone will definitely be a high end Nokia, but not for awhile. I doubt you'll be disappointed by a Lumia 1020.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Odd. I've had the black 8X since launch and don't get these issues. I had the random reboots, but that largely disappeared with the portico update.

You should still have manufacturer warranty, so why not get another device?

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your experience, but surely it's still under warranty and you can taken it in for repair?

The speaker issue alone is enough to cover that and who knows, you might e lucky and get a replacement device.

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
My experience has been the other way around. The 8X is (by far!) the best phone I owned.

After 8 months my phone still looks like brand new, mainly because the soft coating gives me enough grip to be almost impossible to drop it without doing it on purpose. On hands feel of this phone is 10/10, better than anything else. No reboots (I reboot it manually every few weeks anyways whenever I deploy a new app - I'm a developer). Screen has very few hairline scratches but looks like it's on the oleophobic coating, not the screen itself. Battery has enough juice for a full day. Loudspeaker is fine. Sound quality is just fine, but sound levels are awesome.

My only complaint is the Beats Audio notification that pops in whenever I plug my headphones. And of course the lack of support from HTC - seems they have thrown the towel on the WP8 platform while Nokia is at full throttle with its exclusive apps and Amber update.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I also own this phone since last year and I've had only one major problem: The famous "Sim Error" errors with corresponding reboots. After HTC showed me a very cold shoulder I applied the "tape fix" and the problems were gone.

I still have a reboot about every two weeks, but else the device works fine. I always carry the phone in my pocket with no case, and I only have one minor scratch on the screen. Apart from that the phone looks like new.

I have never regretted the purchase within the Windows Phone "realm" (speaking of Nokia as an alternative), only the very slow pace of Microsoft in general is frustrating me.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I love Windows Phone but I would agree this is the last HTC product I will likely ever own. I wish the Nokia phones came in a better form factor when they were first released. My blue coating is coming off on at least one corner, I have light leaks on the bottom the screen, and somehow a couple cracks have appeared in the screen near the very bottom. I will say the phone stays in my pocket 95% of the time and I do not use a case or screen protector.

I have had a few of the SIM errors and after 6-7 months I've only had maybe two random reboots. So I've been pleased with the software/reliability aspect of things but not so much the physical phone itself. I love the form factor of it though. And it's definitely not the worst phone I've owned.

Sharukh Bhoelan

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
my htc is acting like ****e! I only have like 500MB of free space because everything goes into the other %$%#& thing! and my screen has a internal crack after a week(note that my phone never drop on the floor or something), if i plug in my htc headphones I can't hear anything!

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Love mine! Perfect size, great battery life, near zero problems. Love the wireless charging (Verizon edition). Sorry to hear your experience has been otherwise.

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been lucky to have owned my 8x since release day with no cosmetic or functional issues. Been actually trying to find reasons to get a 928. :wink:

DJRedLine

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
i'm on my 3rd now and starting to have issues again

1st: power button stopped working correctly, had to either hold camera button to unlock or repeatedly press power until it worked.
2nd: microphone and speakers did not work correctly. sound was awful
3rd: started having SIM errors, losing network coverage and randomly unable to send SMS (receiving ok)

Rem97

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, I don't know where to begin to express how disappointed I am in this phone. Thoroughly regret not getting the Lumia 920 at the time. I chose the 8X as I liked how it felt in my hand better and reviews were (in general) very positive. But once again, I was proven that reviews don't tell you anything about long term use. I really like WP8, despite its flaws and don't plan to go back to iOS anytime soon, but this will have been my last HTC phone.

I bought the phone in January this year, so pretty much 6 months ago and the list of stuff that is malfunctioning, performing sub-par or straight up broken is long.
  • Black coating has come off all 4 corners, revealing the shiny black plastic underneath. Hideous.
  • The loudspeaker started rattling and sounding distorted a few months in.
  • The loudness level when making a call is waaaay to low. Never had this issue with other phones.
  • Screen scratches very easily, dispite never placing it in my pocket near keys or coins
  • Still suffers from random reboots... seriously, they had enough time to fix this.

Buying a Lumia 925 or the new 1020(?) as soon as I can.
I've also owned an 8x since January and I haven't experienced any of them problems with my 8x. The only minor issue i have is with the OS, the 'other storage' issue. My other storage is above 7GB leaving me with below 100MB.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
My HTC Titan also suffered from random reboots. You'd could try calling HTC to see what you're options are but I don't think anything on your list will warrant a full replacement.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm a HTC owner too but with Android. I see that no matter what OS the same complaints follow HTC. Some have no issues, but others are like you. I didn't have any issues until my first replacement. Now I can't wait for my upgrade to the NEO.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

walter1832

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunatly, the only thing HTC is good for is nice LOOKING devices, not nice WORKING devices. With WP, the only way to go is Nokia.:eek:rly:

umovies

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
my first real smart phone was the htc hd2 it was the best id ever owned, only flaws was its os, which i hack win7 on it I probably would still have it except I dropped it face down on a tile floor and it shattered the screen , I took it to a shop but that make it worse, left stuff off of it, I eventually gave up on it and got the lumia 900. Its been great but isn't upgradable to win 8 so im gonna have to get a new phone soon, its probably gonna be a Nokia the reason why other than the obvious reasons is, Nokia seem to more into win 8 than even ms is, they constantly doing stuff to improve the win 8 ecosystem to me even more than Microsoft seems to be doing. none of the other oem seem to take win 8 seriously except Nokia. I never even seen the samsung win 8 phone in person and it was announced first before Nokia. And when htc releases there to me they are like here it is , but your own your own with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss