Straight Talk APN settings HTC 8X T-Mobile unlocked

akharveywp

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
After a frustrating amount of searching, configuring, and useless (Straight Talk) tech support, here are the APN settings that work for my HTC 8X.
Note that I bought the 8x from T-Mobile when it was first introduced (unsubsidized full price), and recently unlocked it via an unlock code provided by T-Mobile. I purchased a Straight Talk "T-Mobile compatible SIM card" and used a SIM cutter to make a micro, as they don't provide micros any longer (per Straight Talk email).

Settings/Cellular/add internet APN fields:
APN: wap.tracfone
Username: blank
Password: blank
Proxy Server: 216.155.165.40
Proxy Port: 8080
IP type: IPv4v6

Settings/Cellular/add MMS APN fields:
APN: wap.tracfone
Username: blank
Password: blank
WAP gateway: 216.155.165.40
WAP gateway port: 8080
MMSC (URL): http://mms.tracfone.com/
MMSC port: blank (it is then auto-filled with 80)
Maximum MMS size: blank
IP type: IPv4v6

Note the network shows up as "Home". I also changed Network selection from "automatic" to "HOME". In my area (So Cal), I get T-Mobile's version (and therefore Straight Talk's version) of "4G".

MMS worked, I magically got my emails, but no internet or Bing App searches. I was about to give up until I found a thread on this forum for the HTC titan, which reminded me of an HTC app called "Connection Setup". I ran that and got three networks: "Roam Mobility", "T-Mobile US", "Walmart Family Mobile". Changing it from "T-Mobile US" to either of the other two made it all work. Amazing. A big shout-out and thanks to WP Central forum for being an excellent resource.

All of these APN settings can be inferred from the "Activation Card" that came with the SIM. Straight Talk tech support is a useless resource with Windows Phone 8, WP Central rocks. Thanks.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the information. We have an ambassador working on a APN settings guide. I pointed him to this thread to see what you have posted.

Clark de Leon

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
mine didn't work, I can call and Text but no mms and internet i tried to do the htc connection set up, its telling me about database missing.
please Help.
phone is unlock, but was from AT&T

keith_s_d

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much for posting this. Your info about the Connection Setup was key also! Going through your instructions exactly as you laid them out I was able to get everything going, including tethering!

ASisshore

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
THANK YOU!!!

OMG I had been so frustrated, had new Tmobile phone, using it on myfamilymobile (walmart) then suddenly Tmobile "upgrades" the phone and boom no more internet sharing. I unlocked the phone, did a hard reset, but still the same... then this post-- I though I'd have to do the whole APN fix posted earlier, but tried the HTC Connection Setup app--- voila, I can use it again! You rock.

ready answer

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Thank you. This saved me hours of frustration. Worked first time. For everyone else this allowed a T-Mobile 8x to work perfectly on Straight Talk with a T-Mobile SIM. Internet and MMS were the non working and work great now.

Aaron Brunero

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I am using all of these settings and can not get mms to work still. I have been using internet and regular text messaging on this phone for a few years. When I got the update about a year ago I had to redo all of the APN settings. After that, I can not send/receive any group messages or picture messages.

I have tried so many combinations of mms setting with no luck.

Right now I have the settings listed above in for both Internet and MMS. Only internet works.

Anyone else struggling with this? Annoying to miss out on things because of my phone... Maybe it's time to upgrade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea