GDR2 Update for 8X

ricocchet

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
despite all these warnings I see pop up, I am pretty sure I am still going to install the update.

Call me stubborn, but I just can't not do it.

Actually it hasn't permantly bricked the handset because that has magically revived itself after being dead for 24hrs..........

Just don't listen to any music!!!

ricocchet

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
So I guess we won't be seeing gdr3 or wp8.1 all because you said to not update. Not going to happen, I'm updating even if it breaks my phone, right now it only seems to affect unlocked devices.

If you don't listen to music on your phone then you *should* be fine - and hopefully by the time you update MS would have sorted out the issue with the update.....

My phone has now magically revived itself after being dead for 24hrs......please see the other threads regarding this.

ricocchet

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
So I guess we won't be seeing gdr3 or wp8.1 all because you said to not update. Not going to happen, I'm updating even if it breaks my phone, right now it only seems to affect unlocked devices.

I am only talking about this GDR2 update, you would hope Microsoft would sort out this mess before GDR3 wouldn't you?

rysliv

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
If my device does somehow break, I'm sure that T-Mobile will just give me a new phone that they state they will replace with their protection plans even with accidental damage.

ricocchet

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
You always have an opportunity to restore the original firmware in case of bricking after the GDR2 update!

How is this achieved then? How do I uninstall GDR2? tia

Afaik once you update the device and have rebooted it a few times and used it for a couple of weeks, there is nowhere that gives you the option to revert back to the previous firmware, unless you know something I don't Svetoslav :)

ricocchet

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
partly it seems like its on HTCs side to fix the problem, not Microsoft. It is after all affecting only their 8x devices.

great if its up to HTC then it will never get fixed, with their zero input approach into supporting WP phones once they are released.....guy at HTC I spoke to yesterday basically blamed Microsoft as it was there update, I did explain surely Microsoft techs liase with HTC techs to test these updates incase of bugs and he didn't really have much to say on the matter, tbh though he is just a guy answering the helpline, the majority of forum users here are more technical.

He was a nice dutch guy, extremely polite but information wise totally useless tbh.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Well it's decision time; I've received the notification that an update is available.

I think I'm going to do it. If it works it works and I can go on with life. The phone is working fine as it is, but I wouldn't mind having an FM radio; it would be handy for listening to ballgames at work (where streaming is disabled over the company net). If it doesn't work and the phone bricks, I have a warranty with Best Buy; I bet they'll exchange it for a Nokia if I ask. I still have my old flip phone, so even if they want me to send my 8X in for repair, I can get that turned back on and at least have phone service while it's in limbo.

I will sally forth fearlessly. :sweaty:

rysliv

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Well it's decision time; I've received the notification that an update is available.

I think I'm going to do it. If it works it works and I can go on with life. The phone is working fine as it is, but I wouldn't mind having an FM radio; it would be handy for listening to ballgames at work (where streaming is disabled over the company net). If it doesn't work and the phone bricks, I have a warranty with Best Buy; I bet they'll exchange it for a Nokia if I ask. I still have my old flip phone, so even if they want me to send my 8X in for repair, I can get that turned back on and at least have phone service while it's in limbo.

I will sally forth fearlessly. :sweaty:
you must have the at&t version. Sadly T Mobile still hasn't released the update yet. I wish they would hurry up, there isn't much or any difference at all between the at&t and T Mobile 8x except probably preinstalled apps.

jenni122701

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I am pretty new to Windows phone. I guess I don't have the update? I have Verizon htc 8X. My OS version says 8.0.10211.204.

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using Tapatalk

rysliv

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty new to Windows phone. I guess I don't have the update? I have Verizon htc 8X. My OS version says 8.0.10211.204.

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using Tapatalk
Verizon has yet to release the update for the 8x. Lucky Nokia users seem to get things earlier than everything else. Spoiled little users.

Svetoslav Enkov

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
For restoring a pre-GDR2 firmware:

Search for RUU_RIO_U_APO_00_HTC_Europe_1.04.401.03_1.11b.3054.25_10.13.30_RETAIL_ENC_RELEASE.exe - this is an original stock 8X European firmware with update tool and instructions. I have not tried it, to be honest (just because my 8X is not bricked but I have it kindly ready in case of failure).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel