HTC 8X appears to have just died; won't turn on again...

Roger Lopez

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Mine works, but its behavior is rarely. When battery is 100%, works for two hours and turn off. Then I plug and the battery is 1%. Immediately I reset the phone and battery is 98% por example. This is recursive.

My version is 8.0.10211.204.

PatrickDSP

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Guess My htc 8x is dead, help me!

I experienced exactly the same problem today. I have an HTC 8X phone, and installed the GDR2 update a couple of days ago. Whilst playing some music, the phone suddenly stopped working completely. I have tried all of the recommended methods to bring it back to life (factory reset etc. etc.) but nothing works. This is a shame, since it has been a really nice phone.

Shaikh Aaftab Ahmed

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

patrickDSP for u patience is the only key
Better wait or just forget ur phone for 2 to 3 days , let the baterry drain till the last breathe . And then plug the charger . Don't lose hope . it helped me and 2 others members also of the forum . else no solution . also please dont flash any rom , u will loose all ur data .

Shaikh Aaftab Ahmed

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

follow the instruction of milkytee and ur phone will be back alive ...

As I've already stated, my phone was plugged in numerous times since it died on Friday approx. 10.30AM GMT. The battery app that accessed when the phone rebooted yesterday (Monday) showed that the battery level had been falling at a very steady rate since the phone went belly up. This, remember, was in spite of the phone being plugged into several different power sources.

To put it as simply as I can, TODAY(Tuesday) was the day the UPS guy was coming to collect my phone to send to a HTC repair centre and I had pretty much resigned myself to this fact; I was going to be without a phone for up to two weeks and would have lost all my data upon it's return. YESTERDAY(Monday), at around 5.30PM GMT, I plugged the phone into my laptop to see if anything changed, not expecting anything. At this point, the battery level on the phone was at around 10 or 15%. Bear in mind, I didn't know this, the battery could have been at 100% or 1% for all I knew.

As I said, nothing happened for at least two hours after that (I had pretty much forgotten I had even plugged the phone in), as the phone steadily decreased in battery level, eventually hitting zero or close to zero at around 7.20PM GMT. I suspect this was the time the phone actually sprang back into life. As I said above in earlier posts, I heard the telltale *bleep* of the laptop as it tried to recognize new hardware. Shortly thereafter, the familiar red LED began blinking, which, as well all know, is indicative of a charge. And basically, from then on, it charged as expected, although I did note that it took an unusual space of time to build to the halfway mark.

Furthermore, I've noticed some peculiar behaviour by the battery. The Battery App I use (which I highly recommned, link here), showed that between 10.00PM GMT last night, and 02.00AM GMT, the battery did not decline AT ALL, it was stuck at 61% for FOUR HOURS. This was despite me using it for at least 2 or 3 hours of the 4. No, I very much doubt that's a sign that battery life has dramatically improved since the update, I'd imagine the battery has been compromised in some way. So that's a worry. Pic attached.
https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

I should also note, that I had a random reset today, where the phone rebooted, but I may have pressed the power button in my pocket. Unlikely though.

SO, to recap:
*Leave your phone for as long as possible off a charge

*DO NOT have it unplugged if you suspect the battery to be running dry (I'm not sure of the implications of that, but it's best not to take the risk)

*Maybe have it plugged into a computer rather than a wall socket, the PC might aid you in recgonising the phone

*When you belive the battery to be at 10 or 15%, even slightly more, plug it into your PC. From there, you just have to play the waiting game. Bide your time while the battery eventually runs out of it's own accord, at which point, it should be kickstarted by the connection to your PC.

*Hopefully, the phone will slowly reboot. Bear in mind, it'll still be a brick for at least 30 mins or so, while the battery accumulates enough of a charge to power the screen and hardware.

*After this, your phone should be back to normal, with perhaps a few irregularities.

AS A SIDE NOTE; I estimate that my phone took in and around 72 hours to completely discharge from an initial 90% charge on FRIDAY. Obviously this will vary dependant on the phone, but use that as a rough guide.
----------------
Hope this helps. by MilkyTee...

PatrickDSP

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

Hey Shaikh Aaftab Ahmed,

Thanks for this. I will let the phone run down and see what happens. Really don't want to send the phone back for repair.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Yet another update from my end, and it's not good news unfortunately...

My phone went dead about half an hour ago while I was listening to music in the gym. Same story as the first time it happened, not a single solitary sign of life.

I half expected this, but I'm still majorly pissed off. Suppose there's nothing I can do except wait for the battery to run down again and give it one last shot. Failing that, I'm going to fly to Taiwan, confront HTC's CEO and plant my stupid broken phone squarely on his face and buy a Lumia.

Stu Malin

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Progress, randomly held the power button down after phone being out of action since 09:00 yesterdsay morning, I have a vibrate and USB recognition. Seems to be staying on the battery icon for longer than usual - let's see

Stu Malin

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Yep, it's up, but now too scared to lsten to any music! I've emailed HTC on my support ticket with links to forums on this and also the MS site link I posted above. They need to resove this ASAP as the sole purpose I got the HTC8X was the Beats audio.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Yep, it's up, but now too scared to lsten to any music! I've emailed HTC on my support ticket with links to forums on this and also the MS site link I posted above. They need to resove this ASAP as the sole purpose I got the HTC8X was the Beats audio.
Support ticket... Good luck with that. Tried twice last week and never got a response. Unless you own a HTC One, they don't wanna know you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)