12-01-2015 01:55 PM
301 ... 56789 ...
tools
    My phone came back to life, works normal. Just leave the phone for few days for battery to get drained and then plug into the socket as normal
    It'll go again tbough. My phone has died and risen from the dead three times now.
    07-29-2013 04:12 AM
    @Patrick Jason Lim
    Hi, when it died, was the red LED on? Because since Monday my phone is off and the red LED is on, now I will connect it to PC.
    When it died, same as with most who had this issue, was all OFF, not LED light, no vibrations when connected to the charger. Only until some 14~ hours when my phone started to have its LED while connected to PC.
    07-29-2013 04:35 AM
    I have a couple of questions:

1. Were you playing music that came from Xbox Music? Or the ones you put in the phone yourself?
    2. Do you have WhatsApp installed? Were you using it when it died?
    3. Do you have apps that are allowed to run in the background? If yes, what app(s) are those?
    4. EDIT: Also, what's your OS version?

I had the GDR2 update too, but so far I haven't had any issues with it, thank goodness. My OS version is 8.0.10327.77
    These were my case:
    1. Phone's collection of songs. I don't have XBOX music pass anyway
    2. Yes installed, but I don't use it, and I am not using it by the period my phone died
    3. I do have, but disabled most since my phone really is notorious to quick battery drain. Apps are
    • Advanced English Dictionary
    • Dev Center
    • Engadget
    • Foursqure
    • Hardware Tests
    • MapQuest (did not open it yet)
    • WeChat

* THese are the apps which appear as background tasks that are still able to be disabled

4. OS Version: Same as yours, 8.0.10327.77

Maybe, since most cases regarding this issue is involved with the "music" playing things, I may suggest that you try to avoid playing music by now, and I guess until MS or HTC releases an update/fix for this issue.
    07-29-2013 04:45 AM
    Ok Thx.
    07-29-2013 06:56 AM
    I can report that Internet Sharing has started working again. I've performed numerous restarts of my 8x and guests with no luck over the last two weeks and then today, suddenly, it's started working again. I can't explain it but I'm glad it's back so no complaints from me.
    07-29-2013 08:35 AM
    It'll go again tbough. My phone has died and risen from the dead three times now.
    Hi Milkee Tee, Was it always playing music when your phone dies? Did it have Beats audio on? I've just got the HTC 8x to try out Windows Phone 2 days ago. Updated to Portico but now considering whether to risk GDR2 after reading this forum. Heard that GDR2 solves the "others" storage issue though. Thanks.
    07-29-2013 09:03 AM
    It's alive !

After about 4 days the battery ran dry and rebooted. I can confirm what milkytree wrote that the battery does not seem to recharge at all when plugged in. My battery app recorded a stable decline since the phone switched off even though I had it plugged in after 2,5 days.

I had my phone plugged into the wall socket for power. So it seems that the computer and wall socket both work.
    qsr786 likes this.
    07-29-2013 09:42 AM
    @steven fritts, hey one question when you plugged in your phone to wall socket, was the red LED on or off? Txh in advance!
    07-29-2013 10:03 AM
    My led was turned off. It came on when the battery drained and the phone rebooted.
    Hope that helps.
    07-29-2013 10:12 AM
    Ok, txh, cause, since 6 days my phone is off and the LED in on constantly. Its not going off.
    07-29-2013 10:38 AM
    Ok, txh, cause, since 6 days my phone is off and the LED in on constantly. Its not going off.
    Have you tried to reset your phone by holding down your power button? I know that I had the WiFi turned off during this ordeal and it took about 4 days for the battery to discharge and it was at about 95%. So I guess it might take bit longer if you had airplane mode turned on.

Does your computer recognize your phone at all? If so you might try a hard reset.
    07-29-2013 11:06 AM
    The computer dont recogizes it at all, i think it was in airplane mode, i tried to hardreset it, but nothing happens.
    07-29-2013 11:10 AM
    If you have the time and a spare phone I'd say give it some more time. My guess would be that discharging in airplane mode may take a long time. I would say that when your led turns off your batteries dead and you can plug it in and recharge it.

Another option would be to contact HTC for a service repair if your phone is still in warranty.
    07-29-2013 11:40 AM
    @steven fritts

Be warned, your phone will almost certainly turn off again and you'll have to repeat the procedure. Playing music seems to be the cause, or it at least expedites the process.
    My phone has turned off and on again THREE times since the 19th of this month. It's dead as we speak, but I expect it be be rechargable at some stage tomorrow. I'm not going to play any music AT ALL and see if the bricking is repeated.

If so, it's going back to HTC, if not, I'm just going to hold out for a fix (that'll likely never come, rendering my year sub to Xbox Music pretty useless...).

Moral of the story, buy a Lumia as your next driver.
    07-29-2013 12:24 PM
    Hi Milkee Tee, Was it always playing music when your phone dies? Did it have Beats audio on? I've just got the HTC 8x to try out Windows Phone 2 days ago. Updated to Portico but now considering whether to risk GDR2 after reading this forum. Heard that GDR2 solves the "others" storage issue though. Thanks.
    Each time I was listening to Xbox Music tracks. The third time, I had Beats Audio turned off.

And I noticed next to no difference in my Other storage, was still sat at 2.67GB when I last checked.
    wb3052 likes this.
    07-29-2013 12:28 PM
    Still working (knock on wood). Until and update or statement comes from HTC/Microsoft I plan on not playing any music at all.

@Milkytee,
    Not very reassuring that the phone continues to reboot. After how long did this happen and were you playing music?

I'll update if my phone bricks again. I plan on filing a complaint with HTC as soon as I get back from vacation. Not that it will do any good.
    07-29-2013 12:49 PM
    Yes i wait till the battery will drain, I dont want to give it to repair, it takes so long. In the meanwhile I have bought a Nokia Asha 501, which will come in the next days.
    07-29-2013 01:05 PM
    Ppls saying that beats audio causes the problem.
    07-29-2013 01:06 PM
    Still working (knock on wood). Until and update or statement comes from HTC/Microsoft I plan on not playing any music at all.

@Milkytee,
    Not very reassuring that the phone continues to reboot. After how long did this happen and were you playing music?

I'll update if my phone bricks again. I plan on filing a complaint with HTC as soon as I get back from vacation. Not that it will do any good.
    Yeah, sorry to be the bearer of bad news bro. Music will play fine for a while, but after twenty minutes or so it'll stop dead and phone would be f*cked. Once at home whilst browsing new tracks, once at the gym and once on my lunchbreak at work (music was playng in each of these cases).
    There's no telling that Xbox Music is indeed the culprit, but it's very coincidental that every time the phone broke I was listening to tunes for at least twenty minutes.
    07-29-2013 01:14 PM
    Ppls saying that beats audio causes the problem.
    Not so sure, I had it disabled but my phone still kicked the bucket.
    07-29-2013 01:15 PM
    Yeah, sorry to be the bearer of bad news bro. Music will play fine for a while, but after twenty minutes or so it'll stop dead and phone would be f*cked. Once at home whilst browsing new tracks, once at the gym and once on my lunchbreak at work (music was playng in each of these cases).
    There's no telling that Xbox Music is indeed the culprit, but it's very coincidental that every time the phone broke I was listening to tunes for at least twenty minutes.
    Strangely enough it is reassuring to me to hear that the problem mostly occurs when listening to music. In my case it's not that big of a sacrifice to wait for an update if all I have to do is stay away from music for a while (as long as it doesn't take too long).

I do find the problem troubling seeing that many buy the phone for its beats audio attributes.
    I am curious if the problem also occurs with other music programs like spotify.
    Time will tell.
    07-29-2013 02:03 PM
    while ı was updating my phone two wheels are turning for nearly 2 days :( than ı couldn't open my phone
    ı am trying to install the system files but zune couldn't see my device . my phone stuck in a white screen which is three barcode on the screen .
    what can ı do after this ?
    07-29-2013 02:05 PM
    while ı was updating my phone two wheels are turning for nearly 2 days :( than ı couldn't open my phone
    ı am trying to install the system files but zune couldn't see my device . my phone stuck in a white screen which is three barcode on the screen .
    what can ı do after this ?
    Was the update finished?

You could try a soft reset (hold down the power button until it reboots) or a hard reset with the power and volume down button (there are a few more steps after that)? That will format your phone though.

Scary thing is if the update isn't finished I'm not sure what a reboot will do. You might want to call HTC and see if they know the correct procedure.
    07-29-2013 02:58 PM
    I am a HTC 8x user and I am on Verizon. Dont think I got the GDR2 update yet. I guess this one one advantage on being on a network slow with updates. I am sure the issues will be corrected before Verizon rolls it out.
    07-29-2013 03:22 PM
    Hey guys , mine too handset bricked for 4/5 days and recovered back last Thursday . After recovering the phone i made a full reset of my phone after backing up my pics and documents , and since then no issues with basic operations . Also using whatsapp with ease no issues but is still lags a bit , not as smooth as before .
    Also haven't heard music or watched video since then . So better use it as a phone for basic purpose unless there is a fix from HTC .
    07-29-2013 04:27 PM
301 ... 56789 ...