HTC 8X appears to have just died; won't turn on again...

steven fritts

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok, txh, cause, since 6 days my phone is off and the LED in on constantly. Its not going off.

Have you tried to reset your phone by holding down your power button? I know that I had the WiFi turned off during this ordeal and it took about 4 days for the battery to discharge and it was at about 95%. So I guess it might take bit longer if you had airplane mode turned on.

Does your computer recognize your phone at all? If so you might try a hard reset.

steven fritts

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
If you have the time and a spare phone I'd say give it some more time. My guess would be that discharging in airplane mode may take a long time. I would say that when your led turns off your batteries dead and you can plug it in and recharge it.

Another option would be to contact HTC for a service repair if your phone is still in warranty.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
@steven fritts

Be warned, your phone will almost certainly turn off again and you'll have to repeat the procedure. Playing music seems to be the cause, or it at least expedites the process.
My phone has turned off and on again THREE times since the 19th of this month. It's dead as we speak, but I expect it be be rechargable at some stage tomorrow. I'm not going to play any music AT ALL and see if the bricking is repeated.

If so, it's going back to HTC, if not, I'm just going to hold out for a fix (that'll likely never come, rendering my year sub to Xbox Music pretty useless...).

Moral of the story, buy a Lumia as your next driver.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: Frozen Htc 8x with GDR2 Update, Plez Help !!!

Hi Milkee Tee, Was it always playing music when your phone dies? Did it have Beats audio on? I've just got the HTC 8x to try out Windows Phone 2 days ago. Updated to Portico but now considering whether to risk GDR2 after reading this forum. Heard that GDR2 solves the "others" storage issue though. Thanks.
Each time I was listening to Xbox Music tracks. The third time, I had Beats Audio turned off.

And I noticed next to no difference in my Other storage, was still sat at 2.67GB when I last checked.

steven fritts

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Still working (knock on wood). Until and update or statement comes from HTC/Microsoft I plan on not playing any music at all.

@Milkytee,
Not very reassuring that the phone continues to reboot. After how long did this happen and were you playing music?

I'll update if my phone bricks again. I plan on filing a complaint with HTC as soon as I get back from vacation. Not that it will do any good.

qsr786

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes i wait till the battery will drain, I dont want to give it to repair, it takes so long. In the meanwhile I have bought a Nokia Asha 501, which will come in the next days.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Still working (knock on wood). Until and update or statement comes from HTC/Microsoft I plan on not playing any music at all.

@Milkytee,
Not very reassuring that the phone continues to reboot. After how long did this happen and were you playing music?

I'll update if my phone bricks again. I plan on filing a complaint with HTC as soon as I get back from vacation. Not that it will do any good.
Yeah, sorry to be the bearer of bad news bro. Music will play fine for a while, but after twenty minutes or so it'll stop dead and phone would be f*cked. Once at home whilst browsing new tracks, once at the gym and once on my lunchbreak at work (music was playng in each of these cases).
There's no telling that Xbox Music is indeed the culprit, but it's very coincidental that every time the phone broke I was listening to tunes for at least twenty minutes.

steven fritts

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, sorry to be the bearer of bad news bro. Music will play fine for a while, but after twenty minutes or so it'll stop dead and phone would be f*cked. Once at home whilst browsing new tracks, once at the gym and once on my lunchbreak at work (music was playng in each of these cases).
There's no telling that Xbox Music is indeed the culprit, but it's very coincidental that every time the phone broke I was listening to tunes for at least twenty minutes.

Strangely enough it is reassuring to me to hear that the problem mostly occurs when listening to music. In my case it's not that big of a sacrifice to wait for an update if all I have to do is stay away from music for a while (as long as it doesn't take too long).

I do find the problem troubling seeing that many buy the phone for its beats audio attributes.
I am curious if the problem also occurs with other music programs like spotify.
Time will tell.

koray turhan

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
while ı was updating my phone two wheels are turning for nearly 2 days :( than ı couldn't open my phone
ı am trying to install the system files but zune couldn't see my device . my phone stuck in a white screen which is three barcode on the screen .
what can ı do after this ?

steven fritts

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
while ı was updating my phone two wheels are turning for nearly 2 days :( than ı couldn't open my phone
ı am trying to install the system files but zune couldn't see my device . my phone stuck in a white screen which is three barcode on the screen .
what can ı do after this ?

Was the update finished?

You could try a soft reset (hold down the power button until it reboots) or a hard reset with the power and volume down button (there are a few more steps after that)? That will format your phone though.

Scary thing is if the update isn't finished I'm not sure what a reboot will do. You might want to call HTC and see if they know the correct procedure.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Re: Frozen Htc 8x with GDR2 Update, Plez Help !!!

I am a HTC 8x user and I am on Verizon. Dont think I got the GDR2 update yet. I guess this one one advantage on being on a network slow with updates. I am sure the issues will be corrected before Verizon rolls it out.

Shaikh Aaftab Ahmed

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys , mine too handset bricked for 4/5 days and recovered back last Thursday . After recovering the phone i made a full reset of my phone after backing up my pics and documents , and since then no issues with basic operations . Also using whatsapp with ease no issues but is still lags a bit , not as smooth as before .
Also haven't heard music or watched video since then . So better use it as a phone for basic purpose unless there is a fix from HTC .

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
At least there is some sort of fix!

Pity the problem is Xbox Music. Most people who own the device will most likely have music on it!

steven fritts

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
At least there is some sort of fix!

Pity the problem is Xbox Music. Most people who own the device will most likely have music on it!

Wouldn't even call it a fix seeing that you loose your phone for a few days/week and all you can do is wait and pray/hope. I think a better definition would be luck.

Big shout out to HTC and Microsoft for being so helpful and informative about the problem.

listeningtree

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Maybe, since most cases regarding this issue is involved with the "music" playing things, I may suggest that you try to avoid playing music by now, and I guess until MS or HTC releases an update/fix for this issue.

Wow that's weird. Same version and yet you experienced the problem while I haven't. I've been playing music on my phone since I updated to GDR2.

The only difference I can see is that I have only one app allowed to run in the background; a simple battery app.

steven fritts

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys , mine too handset bricked for 4/5 days and recovered back last Thursday . After recovering the phone i made a full reset of my phone after backing up my pics and documents , and since then no issues with basic operations . Also using whatsapp with ease no issues but is still lags a bit , not as smooth as before .
Also haven't heard music or watched video since then . So better use it as a phone for basic purpose unless there is a fix from HTC .

Same here, although mine only recovered this morning. Haven't had much lag problems though. I've been using whatsapp, camera and IE since it fully recharged.
I've to chicken to try to play music or watch video. Has anyone played video's though Youtube yet?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)