HTC 8X appears to have just died; won't turn on again...

ricocchet

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Well mine is bricked as well after listening to XBox Music.

So incredibly annoying, we update our phones with official update, and then it bricks our phones..................must do better HTC and MICROSOFT!!!! Smart Phone that isnt smart enough to receive and update and play music..........on the verge of dumping Windows Phone 8 and thats from a BIG Microsoft Fan, this is not acceptable though.

And if i get my phone back with same update installed on it, i am going to be VERY upset, i want my phone RID of this GDR trash, the only thing it added was a Radio which i would never use.

I reckon this Radio update that has been installed into the Music portal of the phone is the problem as its obviously audio related........

steven fritts

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I appear to be having the same probs with my phone and have never listened or even downloaded any music to mine!!

Are your sure you have the same problem? It sounds like your phone starts working as soon as you plug in the power. Mine for example stayed off until the battery fully discharged even though the power was plugged in. After the battery eventually charged it hasn't had the same problem since. I can't play music though.

Have you tried resetting your phone to factory default? That will erase all of your data though.

Broslowski

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
This is HTC problem not Microsoft. Other Phones got GDR2 and it work fine :) so blame HTC not Microsoft pls :) At all, HTC dont give a s.it about it, Totaly ignored their flag WP device. Hope Microsoft stop cooperate with them soon...

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
So did any phone that's come back from HTC Repair die again?

And have HTC in any way acknowledged this, over the phone or internet etc.? Can we expect a fix, or will we have to wait until GDR3?

Shaikh Aaftab Ahmed

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
hello everyone ,
welcome me back , bricked my phone again last night after bringing it to life 3 weeks back , all was well going , thought to give it a try so watched movie ( cant resist without movies ) and hunged , bricked , screwed .
have become a laughing stock for my android dedicated family members .

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
hello everyone ,
welcome me back , bricked my phone again last night after bringing it to life 3 weeks back , all was well going , thought to give it a try so watched movie ( cant resist without movies ) and hunged , bricked , screwed .
have become a laughing stock for my android dedicated family members .
Did "watching movies" extend to Youtube videos and the like?
As in, if I avoid watching movies that I DL'ed to my phone, yet keep watching Youtbe/Vine etc. videos, there's a risk the phone will brick again?

And sorry to hear about your phone bro, take some consolation in the fact that'll it'll almost certainly come back, it's just a matter of time. Unless you've had enough and just want to ship it off to those idiots at HTC. Which would probably eb a wise move. I myself tried it FOUR TIMES. And the delivery guy NEVER came to collect and HTC can do very little about it. Luckily my phone turned on again the other day after being dead for nearly two weeks, so I want to exercise every possible measure to avoid yet another bricking and just ride it out until a fix emerges.

x0rsist

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Good evening Gentlemen and Dear Ladies,

I myself, today whilst driving down the M1 in northern ireland, on my way home after a weekend saturday working my *** off, was listening to some absolutely glorious melodic metal as loud as my eardrums could take from my phone through my aux cable, have fallen victim to this foul issue.

The phone charge level is relatively unknown. I had taken it off the charge thit morning fully charged, used it for music for half an hour on the way into work, listened for about 40 minutes while in work, and then about 10 mins before the crash happened on the way home. (right at the best bit of the song as well...Sylosis-Oath of silence, right at the end when the guitars make some of the best melody in a metal song ever)

This was an MP3 not XBOX music. Beatsmusic was turned ON.

I installed the update about thursday of last week, as i wasnt bothered with updating my phone. I actually accidentally hit the update button while trying to unlock my phone.

When the crash occurred, there was no user input. There was simply a loud *ZZZZZZZT* which ripped the eardrums out of me at +25 volume on my car stereo, and then absolute darkness. No light, no back light no nothing. No vibrations and no response to button combos.

I have also removed the sim multiple times.

I estimate the battery to be possibly 70%. this should be, according to a qucik calculation of others times posted in here, just under 3 days while ht ebattery drains.

I shall keep you informed!

We need to vanquish this ghastly update from our phones!

Jasper Boot

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Hello Guys (and Girls),

My phone got bricked saturday evening with 24% when I started listening music aswell. At the second song it turned into the famous brick.. Started to freak out a bit when it didn't respond to any form of charging. Now, after a few days, it vibrates as said by others... It worries me tho that my batt life was already 24% and it doesn't respond as we speak. It comforts me that MilkyTee and Shaikh Aaftab Ahmed got theirs working multiple times by now.

Still, can we conclude that just plugging it in on our PC's will eventually unbrick our phones?
And, are there stories where it didn't came back at all? It's been a while now since the first few persons encountered this problem...

My apologies for my grammar, I'm from The Netherlands.

Thanks for any response!

Best regards,
Jasper

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't need to be a PC necessarily, any power outlet will do.
Seeing as your phone was only at 24%, you shoudn't have to wait more than a day for it to drain and come back. Just remember not to play any music for the forseeable future(until they release a fix). I'm not sure if that also applies to YouTube videos, but I'd keep playback of them to a minimum just in case.

steven fritts

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Just manually checked for updates on my phone and I am installing one as I type this. It's still migrating my data but i'll update with a version number as soon as the install is ready. Fingers crossed that this update will solve the problem.

*Update* after the update my OS version is 8.0.10327.77, Firmware version is 3030.0.34101.401. This doesn't seem to be a newer version number but lets hope it is a fix.
I'm going to run my battery down to a minimum before testing Xbox music.

More info, my phone is an unbranded one I bought in the Netherlands. No further updates have been found after this one installed and no updates were found yesterday.

Last edited:

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Just manually checked for updates on my phone and I am installing one as I type this. It's still migrating my data but i'll update with a version number as soon as the install is ready. Fingers crossed that this update will solve the problem.

*Update* after the update my OS version is 8.0.10327.77, Firmware version is 3030.0.34101.401. This doesn't seem to be a newer version number but lets hope it is a fix.
I'm going to run my battery down to a minimum before testing Xbox music.

More info, my phone is an unbranded one I bought in the Netherlands. No further updates have been found after this one installed and no updates were found yesterday.

Thanks Steven, keep us up to date!

steven fritts

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Well I ran my battery down too about 6% before testing and started up the music app. Still had some mp3's on my phone that I was playing last time my phone bricked. Successfully played some music and radio for about 7 - 10 minutes. Tested using the phone speakers and with my earphones plugged in. Also tested having the screen turned on and off and having the app in the back- and foreground. It all seemed to work fine this time.
Last time my phone bricked it happened within a minute after starting the first song.

I know this is not the most extensive test but my battery ran out of juice. Has anyone else been offered the update yet? Possible when manually searching. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up but this update seems to have solved the problem on my phone (knock on wood). Although longer and more extensive test are needed.

Please let us know if you been offered the update and what your experiences are.

Let's hope this is the fix and it'll be rolled out to everyone soon.

listeningtree

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Well I ran my battery down too about 6% before testing and started up the music app. Still had some mp3's on my phone that I was playing last time my phone bricked. Successfully played some music and radio for about 7 - 10 minutes. Tested using the phone speakers and with my earphones plugged in. Also tested having the screen turned on and off and having the app in the back- and foreground. It all seemed to work fine this time.
Last time my phone bricked it happened within a minute after starting the first song.

One quick question: Is Xbox Music integration turned on for you? It's in Music > Settings > Connect with Xbox Music.

We have the same OS version, different firmware revision number. Another poster here had the same OS version as us but his bricked anyway. Haven't had trouble with my 8x since I updated to GDR2, and I'm a little confused that I haven't had problems with mine while others are having it. T_T

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I have the update sitting there, but am afraid to install for the time being. I'm going to hear reports of what other people have epxerienced first, before I do anything.

All of this could be solved if HTC decided to release a simple and brief rundown of what the update includes. Would take them 10 minutes :/

steven fritts

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
One quick question: Is Xbox Music integration turned on for you? It's in Music > Settings > Connect with Xbox Music.

We have the same OS version, different firmware revision number. Another poster here had the same OS version as us but his bricked anyway. Haven't had trouble with my 8x since I updated to GDR2, and I'm a little confused that I haven't had problems with mine while others are having it. T_T

Yep mine does have "Connect to Xbox music" turned on.

steven fritts

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I have the update sitting there, but am afraid to install for the time being. I'm going to hear reports of what other people have epxerienced first, before I do anything.

All of this could be solved if HTC decided to release a simple and brief rundown of what the update includes. Would take them 10 minutes :/

I understand your hesitance but I'm wondering, can it get any worse 😉

Now here's where my phone bursts into flames when I try to make a phone call :p

x0rsist

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Phone returned form the dead last night, was prompted about an update myself but wasnt near wifi or charger.

3 days it took my phone to come back.

Will also install update and test music.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb