HTC 8X appears to have just died; won't turn on again...

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, DL'ed the GRD2 update yesterday and everything seemed to be fine, no issues with the installation.

Then today, not five minutes ago, I was listening to a song and then it just stopped dead. Thinking I was receiving a call, I pulled out the phone only to be met with a totally black screen.
Pressing buttons yielded no response. Holding down the power button to reboot didn't work.

I've now left it on charge, eve though the phone was just taken off charge 30 minutes ago. I really, really need this phone to work. Has anyone else come across this?

Might this have to do with the recent update? Is my phone bricked for good?

Thanks.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Might be worth contacting HTC via twitter - they usually respond pretty quickly - if you've tried all the obvious there's nothing I can think of doing to help you out. Just hope it doesn't become a widespread issue.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Same happened to my phone a couple of weeks ago (before the upgrade).

Try pressing and holding the power button for about 30-45 seconds. That's what kicked mine back into life again. I have no idea what happened (wasn't low on juice)

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Same happened to my phone a couple of weeks ago (before the upgrade).

Try pressing and holding the power button for about 30-45 seconds. That's what kicked mine back into life again. I have no idea what happened (wasn't low on juice)
Doesn't that perform a hard reset though?
I'd like to avoid losing all my data if possible. That'd be a last resort.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Luck o' the Irish. :wink:

Apparently not, no change...
This is ******* frustrating. Bought it unlocked from the UK using a very roundabout method, so I can't just roll up to the shop I bought it in and demand a new one. I'm going to have to go through very complex channels as I'm not sure where the buck stops with this one...

If the worst does indeed come to the worst and it's completely dead, can I claim a new one form HTC directly?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Apparently not, no change...
This is ******* frustrating. Bought it unlocked from the UK using a very roundabout method, so I can't just roll up to the shop I bought it in and demand a new one. I'm going to have to go through very complex channels as I'm not sure where the buck stops with this one...

If the worst does indeed come to the worst and it's completely dead, can I claim a new one form HTC directly?

Yeah ignore your carrier and go straight to HTC. I did that with my 8x back in December when I had loads of issues - they couriered one out to me and took my old one away.

David Horn

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Give it time. Mine did the same thing - left it for a day and it completely discharged the battery. Then the next time I plugged it in it fired up normally.

I too thought it was knackered until it sprang back to life.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Give it time. Mine did the same thing - left it for a day and it completely discharged the battery. Then the next time I plugged it in it fired up normally.

God, I really goddamn hope so. It's probably a little sad to admit, but I'm lost without my phone.
I feel...handicapped. First world problems...:cry:

Shaikh Aaftab Ahmed

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
yesterday i updated my htc 8x , and today suddenly while watching movie on it , went dead , but the lcd led is on . confused ....
before update all was merry and fine , is this a bug in the GDR2 update

Shaikh Aaftab Ahmed

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

will try this for sure , god knows when the battery gets discharged completely , it was 90% full .

sonardude1

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Same to me.... Battery nowhere near dead. Power button didn't seem to respond. Kept at it with the button. Finally held it long enough to finally vibrate and boot. Hasn't happened again.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)