Bing Button is a pain

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
The search button is in an unfortunate location on the 8X, in my opinion. I kind of touch that portion of the screen accidentally all the time. Is there a way to disable/change that button so that, maybe, you have to press it twice or press and hold to get to Search?

The other buttons on the bottom seem to be fine, but the Search button seems to be in the way in the sense that I accidentally hit it frequently.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
The search button is in an unfortunate location on the 8X, in my opinion. I kind of touch that portion of the screen accidentally all the time. Is there a way to disable/change that button so that, maybe, you have to press it twice or press and hold to get to Search?

Not that I have heard of. It's baked into the OS to function with just one touch.

The other buttons on the bottom seem to be fine, but the Search button seems to be in the way in the sense that I accidentally hit it frequently.

I think once you have some more handling time it will be easier to manipulate without hitting.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
things like this makes me miss the remappable buttons of the older OSes. but then again it could be a moot feature, since phones have some much less buttons these days.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I guess that's why it irks me. Not that many buttons, yet they put them in the wrong places... at least for me. I also am not a fan of the buttons on the side- On/Off, Volume Up/Down, Camera. They are pretty much flush with the edge of the phone, so in just handling the phone I accidentally hit them. It would be better if they were recessed or stood out further or something, just so I could at least know they are there.

I like the phone, but this aspect of the design does not seem well thought-out.

One solution I've considered is getting a case for the phone, so the buttons would be recessed somewhat, but I like how the phone fits in my pocket. It's much bigger than my old flip phone, but slimmer and less noticeable than the old phone.

creanyo

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

Agree, same happens to me with my Ativ S..no way to deactivate?

shobhan03

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
under advanced internet explorer settings you can change your search provider to Google

That wont change from accessing bing using the search button.
The explorer option that you mentioned is only while you type in IE bar, it will search over google .

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
You might be right on the Bing button vs internet explorer bar. I have a Lumia 928 and until GDR2 the option was not available. It depends on whether it was disabled in the ROM or not

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Its a love/hate thing for me. I love it when I want it, hate it when I hit it by accident. After a while you do get better about not hitting it by accident, but it never fails when your showing another person a picture they hit the bing button when you hand it to them.

jenni122701

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I am still hitting that dang bing search button several times a day. Def love/hate relationship now for me too.

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using Tapatalk

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
At this point, it just IS. I'm not gonna change it and I'm done complaining. I like the phone and I'm not going to let that ruin it for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234