Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, my phone broke

29 28.71%
  • No, my phone is working fine

40 39.60%
  • Something happened, but I'm not sure whether it was due to the update

12 11.88%
  • Other (I have no opinion, I just like voting on polls)

20 19.80%
10-01-2013 09:46 PM
64 123
tools
    If you haven't done it already do a hard reset and that will sort out any issue you have. I did one and have had no issues with my phone since.
    it's not acceptable to expect me to wipe out my phone to fix a stupid issue like this.
    09-11-2013 08:08 AM
    it's not acceptable to expect me to wipe out my phone to fix a stupid issue like this.
    Get over yourself.

Just make sure all the backups are enabled. About all I had to do was arrange my tiles the way I wanted them and log into my email accounts after the reset. It's not that big a deal. If you're having issues and haven't done a reset, then stop complaining until you do a reset.
    Chief_Adu likes this.
    09-11-2013 12:24 PM
    horse****. I've had iOS and Android phones and tablets. The 8X is my second Windows Phone (first was a Trophy.) none of them have forced me do do a pave and re-install because an update broke basic functionality.
    09-11-2013 07:31 PM
    Yes... Battery performance plummeted from 2 days to barely lasting a day. After a thorough analysis it turned out to be standby drain - no apps whatsoever; I even performed a hard reset to be extra sure. On top of that, phone heats up from even the slightest use (e.g. 5 mins of browsing). Worst of all, you can't revert a firmware update unless you want to void your warranty. Definitely disappointed by HTC.

Question: If I send it back at the service, will they be willing to revert the firmware of my device - at least until a fix is released? I mean seriously, it's unbearable for a device with no background tasks to drain 30% battery overnight (with 2G on).
    HTC 8X T-Mobile (Branded/Carrier) here, west coast US.

I've been going nuts trying to figure out what the issue was before finding this thread. My HTC 8X has only been in use for two months now tops, bought new and up until recently running fine. Now, I'm seeing a steady battery drain of 16%/hour even in Airplane mode and with Battery Saver active (locking out all background apps). Heaven forbid I do something like running an app with moderate power-needs under normal circumstances, because right now that ends up with me killing a 100% battery charge within 2-4 hours. I can just sit and watch the meter drop a percent every three to four minutes or so while idle.

I used to be able to go 1-2 days without needing to recharge depending on usage, and now I can literally have a 100% charge before going to bed only to wake up with the 8X completely dead and at 0% charge, requiring that I let it revive itself by charging again for a while (an uphill climb with that steady 16%/hour drain still going on) or just leave it plugged in all night every night.

This super accelerated drain guarantying a dead battery before morning was a real blast when I was using it as my alarm clock and hadn't realized the extent of the issue. What a bunch of BS.
    09-11-2013 08:24 PM
    The GDR2 updated didn't break my phone... twice.

I did, however crack the Gorilla Glass on my 8X. Having bought the service plan at Best Buy, I simply took it in and they replaced the phone. When I got my new (refurb) 8X (which looks better than my 2-month old one), it didn't have GDR2 on it yet. Within a day it loaded, and it works fine, thanks.
    09-14-2013 10:54 PM
    I've had GDR2 installed for 24 hours now, and no issues, will report if anything happens
    09-15-2013 04:34 AM
    I have unbranded phone. After update the phone works fine (the same as before update). But I noticed the leds (for charging) are not working....
    09-18-2013 04:42 AM
    Just a real quick update, I've noticed a high pitched whine coming from the back of the phone while running intensive applications such as games. Not sure if this was present in previous version, but I've only noticed it now. I can clearly hear it with my ear to the back of my phone, but it is faintly audible from arms distance. Anyone else getting this, or RMA time?
    09-18-2013 06:17 AM
    I hear something from my 8X too; I don't think it's related to GDR2. It's very soft electronic sounds; maybe originating from the speaker on the back. Whistles, tones, kind of like an old modem but not really noticeable. My guess is the speaker isn't completely isolated from the other electronics in the device.
    09-18-2013 08:56 AM
    Anyone experiencing a "SIM Card Error" after GDR2 on Verizon HTC 8X on waking the phone? Sometimes LTE reconnects other times I'll need to reboot as it falls off the Verizon network. Though phone will just be sitting on my desk, when it does reconnect it will have like three bars of service (normal).

My wife's 820 was bricked by GDR2 they sent her a replacement phone; but it arrived without GDR2 so she refuses to update it.
    I turned off auto notifications for her; which lasted a few weeks. I think someone at Verizon wants it updated as it appeared to have been forced to download GDR2
    Now every morning it still prompts her to installs; then reboots when she hits Cancel.

My current experience is my phone was more stable before GDR2, though lacked a fm radio which I have used once.
    09-18-2013 08:57 AM
    GDR2 definitely broke my BT connection to my car. Constantly drops the connection, and frequently causes my 8X to reboot. Never had any issues using BT with my car for calls before the update.
    09-19-2013 07:10 AM
    I just updated my GDR2 late yesterday night, deliberately. Took a long time. But its fine now. So my firmware is
    3030.0.34101.61 Does anyone know if this has the post GDR2 update for the Brick fix? Cause im scared to play music on my device
    09-25-2013 08:20 AM
    Wife finally updated her second phone Nokia 820; Worked flawlessly no issues. My 8X still receives sim card error and last night just restarted it's self, so still being wonky after GDR2.
    09-25-2013 09:03 AM
    I don't think the sim card error is related to the new update from what I've been reading.

I've read elsewhere to contact htc about a new sim card tray but I haven't done it yet. My phone constantly resets or says that error.
    I had it periodically before the update but more frequently after the update , however I think its a separate issue.
    10-01-2013 09:46 PM
64 123