Did the GDR2 Update Break Your Phone?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've seen plenty of threads where people have experiences lockups/dead handsets after applying GDR2.

Personally, mine has been acting perfectly fine.

In the interests of examining the scope of the issue, I thought I'd set up this poll.

When you answer, it might be useful to declare your carrier and whether you have a "branded" phone in case any similarities come to light.

Mine is an unbranded handset on EE.

Trevor Jones2

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I voted something happened.
I have an unbranded 8x in the UK, got GDR2 the day it went live. Phone seems ok except for the odd occasion where the screen would hang requiring a reboot, and battery life seems worse (at least 15% more drainage than before GDR2)

PatrickDSP

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes, my phone has crashed twice now since the update. Always when I am playing music. This update is a disaster. My phone will now be out of action for 3 days while the battery discharges. Is it possible to roll back the OS to an earlier versio prior to GDR2?

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes, my phone has crashed twice now since the update. Always when I am playing music. This update is a disaster. My phone will now be out of action for 3 days while the battery discharges. Is it possible to roll back the OS to an earlier versio prior to GDR2?
Nope, you're stuck with your expensive paperweight.

Though you could flash the phone to an earlier build I'm sure, but that involves losing all your data, and probably your warranty.

PatrickDSP

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Just called HTC tech support. They were hopeless. Not even aware of the problem. All they suggested was "Try turning it off and on again"...

Tainted Clone

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I voted for

Something happened, but I'm not sure whether it was due to the update

I have an unbranded phone which shut itself down once on the the day of the update. (never had problems with it before), but managed to get it back on after holding power button in for 30 seconds or so.

Cant say for certain that it was because of the update, but seems very likely.

PatrickDSP

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I voted for

Something happened, but I'm not sure whether it was due to the update

I have an unbranded phone which shut itself down once on the the day of the update. (never had problems with it before), but managed to get it back on after holding power button in for 30 seconds or so.

Cant say for certain that it was because of the update, but seems very likely.

It's gonna fail again. Trust me,

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not for certain. My 8X did this a few weeks before the update. After it powered back up, it's been fine and I've not had any problems since.

Samst22

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I seem to be one of the few people on here with a working gdr2 update on an 8x. I'm surprised that there are more votes for bricking than for fine, although it is early, we'll see how it averages out in a few days.

What's the largest number of days anyone has gone after the update before the bricking? Had my update since the first day it was available for the 8X (like a week?). Should I still be worried or do you think it's fine now? I've been listening to music plenty and have whatsapp installed (but not using it).

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I seem to be one of the few people on here with a working gdr2 update on an 8x. I'm surprised that there are more votes for bricking than for fine, although it is early, we'll see how it averages out in a few days.

What's the largest number of days anyone has gone after the update before the bricking? Had my update since the first day it was available for the 8X (like a week?). Should I still be worried or do you think it's fine now? I've been listening to music plenty and have whatsapp installed (but not using it).

Your best backing up while every day to be honest, from what i've seen and heard it's random. A cousin of mine bought a 8X pretty pretty damn cheap off Gumtree for ?50 quid today running GDR2, That Fool didn't listen! lol. He got it and tried to change his ring tone.. bricked!. He is extremely pissed of right now, I offered to buy it off him but I guess that annoyed him even more.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Settings->backup. Tap the options to enable or force backup as desired. Play with the settings, its pretty straightforward

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs