Did the GDR2 Update Break Your Phone?

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
My L920 is working fine, enjoying the Radio but the only setback on the radio is that you can't name the stations, no RDS

sportrckr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I got the GDR2 update for my Verizon 8X, and I haven't been experiencing any issues. In fact it's an improvement since I now have group text and the missed call tone is no longer present when on vibrate. I can't comment too much on battery performance right now since I've been using it more than usual since updating, but it does still last a full day for me at least.

I had a few slowness issues right after updating, but I restarted the phone and it seemed to clear it up. The only thing that doesn't seem to be working is the "clear temporary storage" function of the HTC Make More Space app, I click on "schedule a cleanup" and it doesn't do anything.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I wish each post would contain the name of the carrier. I believe that each carrier, may make adjustments to the GDR before releasing it to their customers. I'm on Verizon and haven't updated the HTC 8X yet. (My Lumia 822 worked fine for a day and a half after updating to GDR2 and then black screen and "Can not find boot sector ...". I have read of 6 other similar cases of this, but they span over the last 8 months, so it may not have been GDR2?)

Does anyone have a HTC 8X on Verizon and have any comments. I'm not going to update until I have read up more.

DOS76

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Verizon HTC 8X seems to be working fine after GDR2 on my phone. When I installed it the phone restarted at first then came on as usual but then went black for a minute or two then installed the rest of the update. I wonder if any of the peoples who were bricked started fooling with it right away before the install was finished and that froze it up. I was busy on my tablet while the phone was updating and when it first came back on I didn't touch it or try to open anything just noticed that it had booted back up then it turned off finished up and has been working solidly ever since. I would like to see a repolling that separates the data by carrier also eliminate the last option since it throws off the results when people answer they don't know but they just want to fill out polls.

mdunworth

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Kevin,
My case is HTC8X on Verizon. The GDR2 update has broken my Bluetooth device operation on calls. My research reveals several others with the same issue at this point. Unfortunately for me, taking and making calls with my handsfree is what I do all day everyday from the car. I am regretting my decision to apply the update and wishing I had waited until the issues began to be reported in the various forums. Hoping for a fix asap.
Mike

jz78817

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Verizon 8x. After GDR2 I'll have random occurrences of not being able to send text messages. Immediately after tapping Send it'll barf back "Can't send message Try again" and as far as I can tell requires a reboot to fix. Never once happened prior to GDR2. For as long as we had to wait for this update, this seems like a really basic thing to miss.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Nope, it didn't break my phone. In fact, I gained back over .7 GB in Other Storage when I did a Hard Reset after loading GDR2.

42674d1378783658t-011.png
42675d1378783658t-024.png

mikey2toes

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
If you haven't done it already do a hard reset and that will sort out any issue you have. I did one and have had no issues with my phone since.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
it's not acceptable to expect me to wipe out my phone to fix a stupid issue like this.

Get over yourself.

Just make sure all the backups are enabled. About all I had to do was arrange my tiles the way I wanted them and log into my email accounts after the reset. It's not that big a deal. If you're having issues and haven't done a reset, then stop complaining until you do a reset.

jz78817

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
horse****. I've had iOS and Android phones and tablets. The 8X is my second Windows Phone (first was a Trophy.) none of them have forced me do do a pave and re-install because an update broke basic functionality.

Keyan Reid

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes... Battery performance plummeted from 2 days to barely lasting a day. After a thorough analysis it turned out to be standby drain - no apps whatsoever; I even performed a hard reset to be extra sure. On top of that, phone heats up from even the slightest use (e.g. 5 mins of browsing). Worst of all, you can't revert a firmware update unless you want to void your warranty. Definitely disappointed by HTC.

Question: If I send it back at the service, will they be willing to revert the firmware of my device - at least until a fix is released? I mean seriously, it's unbearable for a device with no background tasks to drain 30% battery overnight (with 2G on).

HTC 8X T-Mobile (Branded/Carrier) here, west coast US.

I've been going nuts trying to figure out what the issue was before finding this thread. My HTC 8X has only been in use for two months now tops, bought new and up until recently running fine. Now, I'm seeing a steady battery drain of 16%/hour even in Airplane mode and with Battery Saver active (locking out all background apps). Heaven forbid I do something like running an app with moderate power-needs under normal circumstances, because right now that ends up with me killing a 100% battery charge within 2-4 hours. I can just sit and watch the meter drop a percent every three to four minutes or so while idle.

I used to be able to go 1-2 days without needing to recharge depending on usage, and now I can literally have a 100% charge before going to bed only to wake up with the 8X completely dead and at 0% charge, requiring that I let it revive itself by charging again for a while (an uphill climb with that steady 16%/hour drain still going on) or just leave it plugged in all night every night.

This super accelerated drain guarantying a dead battery before morning was a real blast when I was using it as my alarm clock and hadn't realized the extent of the issue. What a bunch of BS.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
The GDR2 updated didn't break my phone... twice.

I did, however crack the Gorilla Glass on my 8X. Having bought the service plan at Best Buy, I simply took it in and they replaced the phone. When I got my new (refurb) 8X (which looks better than my 2-month old one), it didn't have GDR2 on it yet. Within a day it loaded, and it works fine, thanks.

alfabatsi

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I have unbranded phone. After update the phone works fine (the same as before update). But I noticed the leds (for charging) are not working....

FrodoBaggins

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Just a real quick update, I've noticed a high pitched whine coming from the back of the phone while running intensive applications such as games. Not sure if this was present in previous version, but I've only noticed it now. I can clearly hear it with my ear to the back of my phone, but it is faintly audible from arms distance. Anyone else getting this, or RMA time?

sabotage

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I hear something from my 8X too; I don't think it's related to GDR2. It's very soft electronic sounds; maybe originating from the speaker on the back. Whistles, tones, kind of like an old modem but not really noticeable. My guess is the speaker isn't completely isolated from the other electronics in the device.

sabotage

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Anyone experiencing a "SIM Card Error" after GDR2 on Verizon HTC 8X on waking the phone? Sometimes LTE reconnects other times I'll need to reboot as it falls off the Verizon network. Though phone will just be sitting on my desk, when it does reconnect it will have like three bars of service (normal).

My wife's 820 was bricked by GDR2 they sent her a replacement phone; but it arrived without GDR2 so she refuses to update it.
I turned off auto notifications for her; which lasted a few weeks. I think someone at Verizon wants it updated as it appeared to have been forced to download GDR2
Now every morning it still prompts her to installs; then reboots when she hits Cancel.

My current experience is my phone was more stable before GDR2, though lacked a fm radio which I have used once.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs