HTC 8X anyone had problems with the USB connector ?? What case do you use ???

anon(5408460)

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi
I am unable to charge my phone due to the usb socket being damaged. O2 in the UK are refusing to repair it under warranty saying it isn't covered as its accidental damage, which as far as I am concerned is a load of bull droppings ( at first they said it was due to water damage but then admitted they had lied!!) I am 200% certain my phone has not suffered any accident that could cause this problem.

Anyway my main reason for posting this question is this if anyone else has had similar damage to the usb socket they cant understand, what sort of case are they using ??

I have one of the authentic HTC C810 hard cases on mine from new, and when my phone was returned this morning, unrepaired as I intend sending it to HTC now, I decided to check if the case could be a problem in causing the damage, and it may well be true. The case covers the usb socket, having a hole in it that the usb plug must go through.

On inspection I measured that the case stops the case going in at least 3.5mm less than it is intended to, which considering how small mini usb sockets are is a considerable amount, especially if as I do one uses the phone while it is being charged in an horizontal position as the lead exerts a sideways force on the connection. This could well be a design flaw with the case.

I do a lot of amateur electronics and am used to soldering these sockets and using them and can easily imagine the above causing problems for people.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Does the USB connector seem loose or off center due to the issue with the cable not being fully seated as you mentioned?

anon(5408460)

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
No, but there is increased play in it, especially in to and away directions from you when looking at the phone

*edit Just checked it in comparison to some cheap Chinese ebay import sockets I have. Using the same plug there is considerably more play in in all directions than there is in the imports

Last edited:

rysliv

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have never had an issue, except with low powered (under 200mA) usb chargers. Sometimes it wouldn't charge, or just take a minute to even show the charging light.
Using Otterbox commuter.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs