HTC 8x Worth it?

emckai

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Is it worth getting the HTC 8x. I've been going around the internet research whether or not I should get the phone and it seems like there are problems with the softtouch coating peeling off and the corners turning black? Is this happening with most devices or just some devices are defective?

If anyone got the HTC 8x recently, I'd appreciate the feedback.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
The 8X is a very nice phone. I used one for about 5-6 months with no case and the top corners started to wear. The plastic under my blue phone was blue so it wasn't too bad, but I think if you use it without a case long enough, the corners will wear. You could use it until they do and then get a case. I'll tell you, the 8X feels great in the hand and the music is just awesome on it. The screen is beautiful, but it's very hard to see outside.

slap0rama

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I love the phone. I have had a case on it since day 1 and the coating has never peeled off. I think it will be fine if you have a case on it.

mrdeeds_72

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
It depends on what else is available. I love my 8X, but I really wish HTC would put half the effort Nokia is into their WP 8 support. Heck, even Samsung seems to be doing more now without really even trying.

The 8XT could've been a superior device, but instead it's a half-baked one imo. I hope to God that that HTC pushes the new camera apps to the 8X.

I truly believe momentum is finally gathering and am excited for the future.

Klaric

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
It's a wonderful phone! I would recommend the Incipio Dual Shine Pro case so the edges don't peel. It has a silicone case with a plastic outer shell, but it doesn't add too much bulk. Overall a good case for this phone (and the wireless charging still works thru it). I would also recommend the Nokia wireless charger to go with it. Audio is awesome, screen is awesome, camera is awesome (not too many professional camera options, but still a great snapper), FFC is better than on any other phone. I would not trade it for an iPhone 5 or Galaxy S4, or a Nokia windows phone for that matter considering how many manufacturing defects they have.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
The device itself is fine. The feel in my hand and in my pocket is great; I like the coating on it. It's slim and I actually feel it less prominently in my pocket than my old flip phone. The touch feel on the screen is great; it's wonderful for running Win8. The downsides for me include the lack of enthusiasm for Windows 8 on the part of HTC. My phone has been great but I wonder about support down the road if HTC doesn't get more involved in Win8.

The buttons are "meh." I seem to inadvertently hit the Search button (which brings up a Bing window) without trying on a regular basis. I sometimes hit the volume buttons while holding the phone and turn it all the way up or down. Battery life is not the best but I bought extra cords on Amazon, less than $10 shipped for three coords- a USB cord, a car cord and a 120V cord so I can keep it plugged in at the office, in my car, on my nightstand or at my computer at home.

Also, there is no way to add storage such as a micro-SD card. If you plan to store a lot of music or something, this could be an issue.

I've had my phone for almost two months. It works great, it looks great, I like to use it. If I had it to do all over again, though, I'd at least look at a Nokia because they seem more committed to Windows 8.

jenni122701

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Im new to the phone and Im loving it! The ONLY issue I was having was due to the buttons being so flush and easy to press I would often turn my phones volume down or cut the ringer off without knowing. However, that was before any cases I ordered arrived for it and it was naked. I have not had those issues since putting a case on it. The case gives you area to grip without accidentally hitting the buttons. Also I suppose keeping cases on it will protect the soft covering of the back of the phone that can wear or peel.

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using Tapatalk

jwpear

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had it since it was first available and love it. Have never used a case and it looks as good as the day I bought it. I easily get through a full day on one charge. Love the wireless charging. Screen is great. I think it's even pretty decent in sunlight.

The downside is simply that HTC is struggling and they're not investing in WP as much as Nokia. I don't think Verizon will do much with it either. I had a Trophy and felt VZW and HTC abandoned it too quickly. I'm worried the same will happen with the 8X.

I just picked up a 928 because Nokia is investing so heavily in WP. I had an open upgrade and could get the 928 really cheap. I'm surprised that I find I really like the finish, weight, and 16:9 form factor of the 8X over the 928. The 8X just feels sleeker. And oddly, I prefer the blue color of my 8X over the black. Black seems boring and conformant now. The 928, with it's Clear Black display is just too black. But I love the software Nokia is putting out. I just got the gdr2 and amber update. It's awesome. I have kids and the camera is really important to me. The 928 is clearly better in the camera hardware and software department.

It is a great phone. It's just too bad HTC makes it.

jenni122701

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
All this worries me as a new HTC 8X owner. I don't want it to get left behind to quickly. As much as I love it now I'm thinking I should have went with the 928. Well, its gonna be like 20 months before I will be able to change phones, so hopefully it will work out ok. :-/

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using Tapatalk

engdustrial

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm on my second 8X (the first having fatally dropped) and I don't regret it.
However, if I had the choice, I would move to the Nokia camp, simply for the support Nokia's been giving WP8.

JayW68

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I have had my 8x for about 3 months. I am on Verizon. I was able to get it for free at the time I up graded. I have also had a case on it since day one. No issues with wear on the soft touch. Overall pretty happy with it. A few issues, such as Beats audio is really not working. When on it ends up causing crackling issues in the Audio, this is after two updates to the Beats software since I got the phone. I also worry about HTC support of WP going forward as others have mentioned. I love the screen and the blue color of the phone is eye catching. I would say it is a good choice.

anotherlab

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 8X for about 10 months. The upper corners have worn smooth, but it's held up pretty well. I had it in a Otterbox Commuter case for while, but it gripped the phone so tight that the SIM card kept unseating. I view that as more a HTC flaw than it being Otterbox's fault. I like how it feels in my hand and the sole app that I did for it more than paid for it. The battery life has been great and the only essential app that I was missing at launch was Nokia's Drive app and we have that now.

The Qi charging is a nice feature, but since it easily fits my Droid 2 charging dock, I haven't bothered getting a wireless charger. I am disappointed that HTC is concentrating more on Android than Windows, that does not bode well for future updates. I'm on Verizon, so we never get the Nokia models than we want until after AT&T's exclusivity period expires. I would get another WP8 phone, but the next one will be a Nokia. It would be nice to see the HTC One hardware used for Windows Phone, but I doubt that we will see that happen.

Kyorin

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Had my 8X for a couple of months now, I previously have owned several Nokia handsets, most recently the 820 and 620. I loved the 620 and was going to stick with it but the screen kept becoming unresponsive several times a day and in the end I just got fed up with it. The 820 I had was just too heavy and the brick-like shape just didn't sit comfortably in my pocket. The tapered edges and general slimmer dimensions of the 8X are far more comfy, also the screen has a higher resolution than most Windows phones (apart from the very top end Nokias). The one app that would have forced me to stick with Nokia was Nokia Drive (now known as Here Drive), but as others have mentioned, this is now available on HTC handsets as well.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that the HTC8X is (in my opinion) better than all of the Windows phones I've had previously by quite some margin. Also I've had zero problems with it, the latest updates came through yesterday and installed without issue. It was buttery smooth before, but if it's at all possible, it seems to be ever so slightly quicker now...

The update activates the FM Radio hardware, and on my handset I now have Data Sense too which is a bonus. It's true that Nokia has more resources and does have some nice exclusive apps, but as I mentioned the only one of importance to me personally is on my HTC too now. The only other Nokia app I would like is "PlayTo", but I'll take the reliability of the HTC over the "PlayTo" app thanks.

Ivaylo Badinov

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I do not regret having 8X, I did in the beginning, because I wanted to go with 920, but was not available from my operator back then. My regret was the camera, wanted the Nokia one, but 8X happened to shoots good enough pictures. I have some complains though: My screen got light scratches and it supposed to be a Gorilla Glass 2. I never had scratch problems with HD7 (still have it). I also take good care of the phone, never put keys or stuff in the same pocket. Do not know how that happened. Also my hands are very dry and the smooth coating does not provide good grip. I got a Chinese case ($4) which has very good grip areas and makes the buttons easier to click. Although it weights 20g more, but it worths it. And does not change the design much. So these are my complains everything other is good.

clindhartsen

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Owning the device since December I overall haven't had that many issues with it physically. I haven't seen the soft coating coming off that some have noted, nor have I seen color wear. I personally own the purple (okay, California Blue) model on Verizon, so it includes wireless charging which works like a charm. I dropped the phone awhile back from pocket-level on the streets of Seattle and have two corners bumped in but they visually aren't that noticeable a problem. I don't use a case personally, so maybe the issues arise on that side?

On the software side, the 8X can be called a mixed bag. While they've mitigated most of its issues, I've suffered from the spontaneous rebooting problem, as well as there are minor visual hickups in spots that still haven't been cleared up, but aren't that severe a problem. Going with HTC means you miss out on Nokia exclusives, which may or may not be that good, but with the advantage of a really slim phone. There's also the camera, which is good, but isn't Lumia-level quality.

Would I recommend it? I would, especially if you want a thin Windows Phone that feels really good in the hand. If you're wanting the top camera, or know of a Nokia exclusive you can't live without, you may want to go that route.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa