Official HTC 8X GDR2 Thread

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I used the backup on the phone: Settings > backup and enabled app list+settings, text messages and photos backup. When you do the reset and the phone comes to its senses, there is an option to restore from backup (I think right after you log into your Microsoft account). Most of the apps just loaded. There were a few that are no longer available (such as Facebook Beta, which sometimes is there, sometimes isn't; if not I just use Facebook), and the Samsung folder app that someone posted a hack to get it to load on phones from other manufacturers. A bit of advice: As soon as you can, turn the Wifi on; it will make the apps load faster (assuming you have Wifi in the area). After that, the most time consuming thing is getting your tiles arranged the way you want.

The picture folder actually got smaller, going from 2.08 MB to 0. When I take pictures, I offload them onto my computer when I get a chance, so my pictures folders are generally empty or nearly so.

If you did the GDR2 update and your Other Storage is the same size, it's worth a try to do a hard reset.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Received grd2 for htc 8x on o2 UK last night. I have data sense, fm radio and all the other goodies that come with the update.

My Other storage dropped down to 1.3gig also.

No issues so far.

Camaroon

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
@doohickie, thanks for the explanation. People around here talk about doing a hard reset all the time like it's fairly easy but I can just picture myself doing something that wipes out all my photos, videos, music, and everything else. My Other Storage didn't budge after I installed the update so I think the hard reset might be in my near future.

Ktysai

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Doohickie, other folder is 1Gb or so. I'll play few weeks with the phone and afterwards I'll wipe it down. WP8 is new for me, so lots of new thing to test.

Why Datasense is such a hard thing to obtain? If I have an UK phone SIM card it will appear, it is really GSM operator dependable?

anon(5562316)

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Just got the GDR2 update on 3 today. No data sense but most 3 price plans are unlimited so I guess they thought it wasn't needed. Cant say Ive noticed much difference to be honest.

Sean Cohen

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I keep getting multiple text messages, can't send errors and Download Content text messages for group text. The whole things seems messed up since GDR2

AnilJassi123

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I just updated mine on 3 now (they took their time), it took a good 40 mins. So far I like the radio but it needs more settings. I don't think I really need data sense but otherwise I need more time to be able to judge the rest of the update.

anon(5408460)

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Another O2 UK user now happier !!
I don't seem to have the option to select a lens to load automatically when you press the camera button. When I press to choose the lens, there are non showing and I have a few installed.

Bryan Sayas

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I think my phone is possessed by a spirit of a pikachu, this happened to my phone after getting the update. Tried restarting it, still it stays like that, full charge is up to 2 days compared to 1 day & 12 hours before gdr2.
wp_ss_20130916_0001.png

Camaroon

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Wow, how in the world were you even getting a day and a half before? I can't make it more than 10 hours without having to recharge, and I swear battery life has gotten slightly worse since the update.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting about the same as i did before GDR2...16 hours. I run a VZW model on t-mo. I could get about 19 hours if I push it, but I often run it down with I'm home to charge it before bed.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Erm having some issues with mine since GDR2 and the following firmware update.

My 8X is turning itself off. Its also rebooting and the dreaded Sim errors have started coming back.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

My 8X is turning itself off. Its also rebooting and the dreaded Sim errors have started coming back.

probably why HTC & some of the other carriers skipped this for GDR3. It is a shame though as I was thinking of getting another 8X to customize...

Camaroon

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
If I leave my house in the morning with 100% battery I could get to the point where I wouldn't have to charge it until I got into bed, somewhere between 10 and 11. But it would be down to the 20's by then so I usually charge it while at work too. Not terrible, but definitely not a day and a half!

Also definitely understanding why this update has been cancelled by some carriers. Mine hasn't been turning off or anything like that, but I have this text bug that pops up where it just won't send texts until I either restart the phone or wait for the problem to stop. It's also been somewhat unresponsive for a while now, with lag when I try to open something or even scroll the screen.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah forgot about this one - after a reboot it pops up with a message saying you are now in GSM mode. Never had that before.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
That's one of the reasons I opted for the VZW model. This thing runs smooth as silk. If I could send + receive mms and internet sharing, I'd be happy as a pig in fresh slop. I'd be very curious as to why the software is being so buggy with the pure GSM models...

Bryan Sayas

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I usually charge my phone full before going to sleep, after 7hours my battery says 97%, usually, after 7 hours mine will be about 90-91%. I don't know what's happening to my phone, but I like it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I was on track for some seriously good battery life tonight and then my ex decided to talk my head off...still, enjoying the battery life on the 8X. Makes me almost want to give us removable batteries on phones...

Last edited:

Danijel B

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site

Same with my phone, at first it was once a week problem now it almost daily... and it always resets when I press unlock button.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb