What will i miss if i get HTC 8X over Nokia 820?

imbasaurus

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
hello there, i know that this is HTC 8X forum but i just want to ask what am i gonna miss if ever i opt to buy HTC 8x over Lumia 820?

changing cases, battery and microSD is not an issue for me as i will not use the phone as my main music player.

i will probably use the phone for email,social media, manga reading and the likes.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
You'll miss on rock solid warranty offered by Nokia, HTC is knowing for showing its bum when it comes to warranty at times.
Don't trust me, just do a Google :).

Remember that 820 has a poor battery for its hardware.

Roobesh Thumiah

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
You will miss most probably the dedicated Nokia apps but since you'll be using it for reading manga, I suggest you go for the 8X because of the resolution.

dcurtis

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
You'll miss having a big chunky brick instead of something so thin it sometimes feels like you're holding a playing card.

Seriously, I think the Nokia cameras may have some advantages but the HTC has a lovely thin profile. I think it's a real shame that Microsoft seems to have turned its back on other manufacturers in favour of Nokia. The HTC 8X is simply the best phone in the world but I worry that it might also be HTC's last phone for Windows.

Ktysai

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Probably you'll miss the Nokia Apps and its updates. Perhaps the fact that 820 has a more ergonomical position for power button. You'll win a phone with a better resolution, that was been the main reason for me for ditching 820 :) Try to go a little higher ..920 maybe.

Aditya Shanbhag

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
With the advent of fiddler I honestly can't name one thing the 82x has over the 8X.

Nokia exclusive updates such as Lumia Amber and the fact that Nokia wont give up on your phone which HTC has done with a number of their phones.HTC also didn't release the GDR2 update for the 8X and the ones which did experienced freezes and reboots which HTC stated they wont fix and will directly release GDR3 in Nov again which I am doubtful of so take the 820 over the 8x.Fiddler is a "hack" used to install Nokia exclusive apps on HTC and Samsung WP and vice versa

Roobesh Thumiah

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Know what you are saying. I have the 8X and also updated to the GDR2 update with the latest update. Till now I have had any problem with the phone; no heating, no freezes or restart. =)

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Same here- GDR2 eliminated the few minor bugs my 8X had. The update was withheld for some people but they're supposed to get everything in the next one.

I'm not familiar with the 820 but the 8X is very fast with a great display. For me it's a better smart than phone since I'm on T-Mobile and have spotty coverage at home.

Roobesh Thumiah

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Fiddler is an app that can make you download restricted apps like ProCam from Nokia. With the right codes, you can make the HTC pass as a Nokia or Samsung and then download those restricted apps.

josepmanel1983

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Fiddler is an app that can make you download restricted apps like ProCam from Nokia. With the right codes, you can make the HTC pass as a Nokia or Samsung and then download those restricted apps.

Hey there, I downloaded some Nokia apps but I can't install Pro Cam or Panorama (amongst many other Nokia exclusives) because it says the screen resolution of the 8X is not supported. Is there any way around this?

Also, imbasaurus, I think you might miss the the fact that you can't change the back covers, that's what I miss anyway, I like to change!

Roobesh Thumiah

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps something is wrong with your codes. At the start I also got some problems, but finally it was ok. Installed procam but later uninstalled it because its manual focus is not working on the 8X.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
The 8X was my upgrade and probably the biggest device regret I made.

If its colored... Ita going to look dingy and the coating over the glass along with the glass curled and raised makes it very scratch pron and seems to eat other storage more for some reason.

Positives are.... Beats audio is exceptionally good regardless of people saying its all marketing and the 8X camera is extremely quick in comparison to other WP8 devices which is due to having its own dedicated imaging chip.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Like others have said, you'll definitely miss all the array of quality 1st party apps that Nokia deliver for Lumias that add extra value to your purchase and continue to add value long after. But also the exclusives and tie-ins that Nokia strike with 3rd party apps and games in hard to take sometimes for us non-Lumia WP users. You might also miss the fact that the 820 has expandable storage 8GB + upto 64GB, the 8X is stuck with 16GB max.

I have an 8X and all I can boast about is the beautiful unibody design, the feel of it in your hand and its relative lightness in weight. I can't think what might be tempting you otherwise. The 8X rear camera is average at best, does not have all the Nokia bells and whistles in software, the ffc does have a handy wide-angle lens which makes taking self portraits a joy but that's about it. The screen is good and the high resolution makes for excellent viewing of photos and websites with fine text but the battery life is average but since I charge every night like clockwork, it's not a problem for me.

The only HTC feature worth talking about is Attentive Phone and I think Nokia have now caught up with similar settings. The HTC app is the only other highlight and only then because of its large clock/weather Live tile. HTC have not innovated at all since releasing the 8X. Their paltry set of stock apps are an embarrassing afterthought of product development and in fact they've gone backwards since WP7. On my old HD7, I had DLNA which was really cool. Where is that on WP8? Stick with Lumia, I would suggest, it will definitely be my next phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs