"Other" still 7-8 gigs after GDR2

Thimbro

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know what the deal is? I read that they fixed this issue with the update. I've had the GDR2 update more than two weeks now and its barely gone down. Do I really need to reset my phone?

And what is up with the Make More Space app HTC???

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Try moving those uploaded pictures from that upload folder location and put them in another folder. Do this from a desktop. Not from your phone. See if that helps.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Do you have any of the offline maps installed? Doesn't matter if it's Here Maps or the built-in Maps app, they share the same file and it's included in the "Other" category.

Thimbro

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Yep but my offline maps are only 600 mb.

Yea I have tried storage cleaner and two other similar apps to no avail.

Would be nice if the Make More Space app worked HTC 😞

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The other thing that can hog the "other" storage is streaming radio/video apps.

If you have any, try deleting them (or see if they have a "clear cache" setting) and see if the space decreases.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I have both an 8X and ATIV S both updated and the 8X is still horrible with the "other storage" and my ATIV S is awesome with it (which is is funny cause the ATIV can add storage)

Wondering if the Beats Audio or the dedicated Image chip has a factor in it?

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
From this article (I trust Paul Thurrott to get it right): "GDR2, finally, provides a fix of sorts: It will automatically clear out space in the "Other" category. Unfortunately, it will not do so until your phone storage fills up. But that's certainly better than the original situation."

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Paul is wrong in this case. My Other category has remained static at around 2Gb for many months now.

I'm not sure what Paul based that comment on, that was how the Other category was rumoured to work before GDR2 (temporary storage in Other was supposed to diminish as you filled your phone with other stuff).

EdSherriff

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Firstly HTC's Make More Space app can clear some files from "Other" by pressing "tap to schedule temp file removal", this is new to GDR2. Note that this doesn't immediately remove any files, it can't do that, it just asks the OS to remove the files which usually takes a few minutes (the app won't necessarily refresh either you should just schedule a removal then close the app, reopen it after a couple of minutes and see if it did anything). Usually only a small amount is cleared in the tens of megabytes, don't expect gigabytes. Prior to GDR2 the installers for previous versions of apps were kept on the phone even when new updates were downloaded resulting in Other storage creeping up over time. This supposedly has now been fixed too, although even in prior versions of WP8 these installers were cleared out by any OS or firmware update installation (any update that gets the phone "cogging").

Then there's all the app data which could be anything, if an app is hogging memory you won't know, since the app by app breakdown in "Make More Space" is just a list of the size of the app's program it doesn't include temporary files (the OS won't necessarily "know" that the data is temporary either because only the app really knows that hence why Make more space cannot clear it out). The only guaranteed way to clear it out would be to uninstall the app, start off with anything that accesses streaming media or heavy online content.

Then there's all the Skydrive related stuff. Basically the phone will keep a copy of everything uploaded and downloaded to SkyDrive in Other storage, this meant it was pretty much essential to turn off syncing of photos and videos to SkyDrive. I don't know if this was fixed by GDR2 but it's best to assume not. There are existing guides for how to reduce SkyDrive's Other storage footprint. Also bear in mind your people hub social media feeds are caching into Other storage ("What's New" etc).

Also I believe that syncing music can occasionally create orphaned duplicate files that end up in Other storage, not showing up on the music and video hubs. This can be a result of changing metadata or playlists on the PC. Fortunately any orphaned music and video files will still be visible through USB mass storage. So you should check what's going on there.

Basically trying to get a grip on an Other storage of that size may end up with you completely clearing out the phone (uninstalling all apps and deleting everything you can find), to the point where you may as well have hard reset the device.

Michael pugh

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I understand, I need some adv too. How can I delete the streaming media memory? It's killing my memory. I deleted all the apps I thought could use it but it's not helping, any advice besides reset...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999