Verizon unlocked HTC 8X cannot use Internet Sharing on T-Mobile

JHinOC

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
My friend and I both got an unlocked Verizon HTC 8X recently. He plugged in a SIM card from T-Mobile and it works fine with voice and internet access. However, Internet Sharing does not seem to work. He called T-Mobile tech and was told that the functionality is not possible with a phone from Verizon. Is it true and is there a way around this limitation?

It doesn't seem logical why an unlocked phone can do voice and internet but NOT internet sharing.

Thanks, JHinOC

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
My friend and I both got an unlocked Verizon HTC 8X recently. He plugged in a SIM card from T-Mobile and it works fine with voice and internet access. However, Internet Sharing does not seem to work. He called T-Mobile tech and was told that the functionality is not possible with a phone from Verizon. Is it true and is there a way around this limitation?

It doesn't seem logical why an unlocked phone can do voice and internet but NOT internet sharing.

Thanks, JHinOC

It makes sense. The tethering function is locked to Verizon.

JHinOC

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Really? Internet Sharing is a functionality available to all phones. My company's T-Mobile Lumia 810 has internet sharing. The phone we bought is unlocked Verizon, so IS should just be a functionality based on which cellular provider the SIM card is from.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Really? Internet Sharing is a functionality available to all phones. My company's T-Mobile Lumia 810 has internet sharing. The phone we bought is unlocked Verizon, so IS should just be a functionality based on which cellular provider the SIM card is from.
Dual CDMA/GSM phones tend to not work optimally on US GSM networks. An unlocked international 8X would be a better option than a Verizon-branded device.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

If you don't like the phone return it.

I always buy unbranded/unlocked phones. You bought an unlocked, dual band CDMA/GSM phone from Verizon which is a CDMA/LTE carrier. They are not a GSM carrier. The GSM function is unlocked and your phone works for making calls and SMS. Does the MMS function work? I think people with your phone were also having trouble with the MMS function if I remember correctly.

JHinOC

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! The phone is fine for me since I am on Verizon. My friend wants to use it on his T-Mobile network. I will ask him to check out the MMS functionality and see if it works. As for myself, I got a Lumia 521 as a backup for my T-Mobile phone. Lesson learned and in the future we will be more careful and do our research before buying a phone to use on a different network.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12