Verizon 8X not sending texts? You might be able to get a Lumia 928 for free!

txDrum

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 928.jpg
There is a disclaimer at the bottom. Don't yell at me if you aren't successful :p But this did actually happen, and it only took me two minutes to convince the rep to swap out my 8X for a Lumia 928!

So, like many of you, GDR2 broke text messaging on my Verizon 8X. It's unbelievably frustrating, and I went through about 4 or 5 phones trying to avoid the patch but having it install on accident, as well as having other problems with the phones and trying to get a working phone. After five times I told the rep (in a store) that I'd been through five phones, and I asked him if there was any way to get a replacement phone or something within a reasonable price difference and he said he wasn't sure but initially recommended I talk to Tier 2 tech support.

He asked what kind of phone I was interested in, and I pointed out the Lumia 928 which has (atm) a $50 price difference between it and the 8X. I mentioned I'd be willing to pay the $50 difference, but he said the tech support couldn't charge me, so he'd see if it was possible to order me a Lumia 928 instead of my 8X. Ten minutes later (and a tense moment in which a manager who denied that to me my first replaced phone asking him a question in front of the computer screen) I was good to go! I now have a Lumia 928 en route, and at no charge :)

You may have similar luck doing the same thing! I definitely went into a store, I don't know how likely this would be over the phone. And if you complain enough and point out that it was GDR2/Verizon's own patch that caused the problem, you may get lucky. Note: HAVE EVIDENCE. If you don't, they'll at best force you to waste time doing a factory reset (which won't rollback GDR2 so it obviously won't work), or at worst take your phone so their "engineers" can reproduce the problem. I've had instances where I just did a factory reset then they sent me a new one, and then once they wouldn't give me a replacement unless I let them reproduce it. So today I went in with it broken and about 15 screenshots. Have your ammo ready!

Disclaimer! YMMV: I do not profess to this working every time. I had an extremely helpful and understandable employee helping me out, and I think if I'd gotten the manager it might have at least been harder. But if you complain enough you might get lucky! Good luck! Also, the color defaults to black, so if you want white (which I don't know if it's possible) you might want to mention that. I'm personally happy with black, and I can't wait for my own Lumia :D

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you were able to get a new 928 from VZW due to the issues with SMS on your 8X. I hope your new device will be problem-free.

txDrum

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm just telling people in case they are fed up like I was :p I liked my 8X but the 928 camera is really nice and its not broken xD

txDrum

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but gdr2 didn't break text in my 8x, of course Verizon branding.
I'm actually honestly surprised (and good for you!) to hear that. GDR2 gave me that can't send message on every single one of the four devices I had within one hour of updating. I know I've seen at least two, maybe three threads about it here so I figured it was worth posting my brief experience :p

Lumia 8x

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually honestly surprised (and good for you!) to hear that. GDR2 gave me that can't send message on every single one of the four devices I had within one hour of updating. I know I've seen at least two, maybe three threads about it here so I figured it was worth posting my brief experience :p

Ouch sorry to hear that. It might be your specific Verizon account. If Verizon broke it with gdr2 update, we would have had an article here ha. Glad you got a new phone!

lmatt05

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

How long did you have the 8x? I've had mine since late Nov...tempted to try this...

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
3 HTC 8x's in my family and they all have the can't send issue since gdr2 so I'm also surprised to hear someone that isn't seeing it. The problem for me is that I love the form factor of the 8x and have zero desire to get a 928 replacement. Just installed gdr3 yesterday and keeping my fingers crossed that it will fix the problem.

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I also installed GDR3 yesterday and did a factory reset. I still get the can't send errors. They seem to have changed a bit though. Now I get them much more frequently, but pressing try again a couple times usually ends up actually sending the message successfully.

soaringthor

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I also installed GDR3 yesterday and did a factory reset. I still get the can't send errors. They seem to have changed a bit though. Now I get them much more frequently, but pressing try again a couple times usually ends up actually sending the message successfully.
I am also still getting the same behavior on GDR3, but I don't have the same luck as romant56 with retries and still have to toggle airplane mode to get them to send.
(To clarify, this started after GDR2 and has persisted through GDR3)

Last edited:

Joshywahloves

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Yep, same issue my way mates. It's quite frustrating because I was so content with my 8x, and then the update swept in and burned my joy to the ground. I talked to Verizon support, and the fellow reset my connection to the cell towers and that seemingly worked for like a day. Then the issue persisted. I called HTC support and they could only tell me to have Verizon do what they already did, even after I explained that Verizon already performed that action. So I'm basically in a rut. I've also experienced some random lagging that was not around before the GDR2 update. I'll be doing anything on the device and it will simply lock up and be unresponsive for several seconds before functioning again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon