Thinking to buy HTC 8X

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys!
Ordered my 8X
:D!

Can't wait to try WP8!

one thing though dude i would definitely get a htc double shot case for it. If you ever worry about messing it up or as most have reported the paint coming off this if you are getting a blue version is the same colour and fits perfectly as its a htc made one. I have one and wouldn't be without it. Got it on ebay for about ?10

Raghav94

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
one thing though dude i would definitely get a htc double shot case for it. If you ever worry about messing it up or as most have reported the paint coming off this if you are getting a blue version is the same colour and fits perfectly as its a htc made one. I have one and wouldn't be without it. Got it on ebay for about ?10

Could you link me to it? I do want a case but can't find a good one.
Mine is going to be a Black version.
Blue one was out of stock :(

ni28

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Bought a HTC 8X for the miss's, she loves it, but finds the app store a bit lacking compared to Android and iOS. It's a shame, but some of the most basic apps are missing (since I last checked, youtube (keeps getting taken down off the store), dropbox, VLC (in development) stuff like that). To many, that's a bit of a deal breaker. Other than that, we have a few issues with the phone freezing... I assume that's not our network's fault rather the phone. I am not sure what the cause of that is. Other issues that you may want to look up include the paint/colour rubbing off on the matte backing. I am not sure how that happens but I've read a lot of people report it as an issue (I bought the miss's a hard cover so no issue there, you may want to do the same).

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Bought a HTC 8X for the miss's, she loves it, but finds the app store a bit lacking compared to Android and iOS. It's a shame, but some of the most basic apps are missing (since I last checked, youtube (keeps getting taken down off the store), dropbox, VLC (in development) stuff like that). To many, that's a bit of a deal breaker. Other than that, we have a few issues with the phone freezing... I assume that's not our network's fault rather the phone. I am not sure what the cause of that is. Other issues that you may want to look up include the paint/colour rubbing off on the matte backing. I am not sure how that happens but I've read a lot of people report it as an issue (I bought the miss's a hard cover so no issue there, you may want to do the same).

There are good third party dropbox and youtube apps. Mobile website of Youtube also works fine.

ni28

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
There are good third party dropbox and youtube apps. Mobile website of Youtube also works fine.

Oh, I hear you, but the moment you start making excuses, is the moment I'm losing faith in a potential phone option. Those two things are not make or break things for me but its just a convenience thing if that makes sense (though, the VLC thing may be make or break as I do like to watch things on the go, as does the miss's).

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I hear you, but the moment you start making excuses, is the moment I'm losing faith in a potential phone option. Those two things are not make or break things for me but its just a convenience thing if that makes sense (though, the VLC thing may be make or break as I do like to watch things on the go, as does the miss's).

The full desktop Youtube works great for me. MetroTube is so much better than YouTube mobile.. If you're streaming at home while on WiFi, there's a variety of apps that allow this. I had a VLC player/streamer, but don't remember the name. This is the newest RDP client/streamer..

Check out "Splashtop Personal" for Windows Phone http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=7422bd18-219e-4d20-af5e-126045a238b8

PC Remote Pro's companion HFS server for PC easily allows streaming and file transfer..

If you're pulling from the web, WP plays mp4, mp3, wmv, and others. For .flv, use vlk player.. I love my 8X

ni28

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

I've used a lot of RDPing programs over the course of my smartphone and have always come to the conclusion (as well as my partner, who has a HTC 8X), that: "Gee, I just wish the phone would play the media without having to jump through these hoops." We're often on the go, don't have the bandwidth to do that sort of thing via 3 or 4g. I can understand how it is useful for others, especially when you are at home, just stream everything without needing to waste bandwidth, but on-the-go, for formats such as mov and mkv its all third party apps at the moment with shaky performance. I guess its just a case of always wanting what other operating systems have. Equally, I'd hate it if VLC was on windows but not available on Linux or OSX. Sure you can fiddle around with codecs and other players, but when you want something that 'just works' and you are not a power user, it can be a hassle and then some just to play that fiddly format your device decides to encode in just to save some space on compression.

Kyorin

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
How doesn't it "match up"? All wp8 devices have the same hardware. All run hot using them for extended period of times. You can't group all 8x with restarts and sim errors. I've had none since November 2012. If anything its Nokia phones that have the most problems, since Nokia continues tweaking them.

Of all the Windows phones I've had, the HTC8x has been the best one by far. There were many more minor issues with the Nokia's I had, the worst problem being with the Lumia 620, where the screen would become unresponsive, it happened once or twice per day to start with but got progressively worse until it happened around 8 times per day, at which point I sold it and got the 8x. The 8x is a premium bit of kit with a higher resolution screen than most other Windows phones. The financial problems that HTC are having means they have slashed the prices of this handset, but don't let that put you off, it's a great handset at an amazing price! Also while I'm on the bandwagon, I much prefer the 8x to the Lumia 820 too, the 820 is a nice device but just too bulky and heavy, it feels like a brick in your pocket, whereas the 8x with it's much slimmer design and tapered edges is far more comfortable, and lighter too.

Kyorin

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

There are plenty of apps in the Windows marketplace these days, and for those few apps that aren't available, in most cases there is a third party app, and in some cases they even offer more features than the official ones do. People do keep going on about the apps, but few people can name specific apps where there isn't some kind of solution already available.

Oldfart.dk

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
If i should point a finger, IF any, it would Be on the hopeless hardware Buttons on htc handset, god they suck, but else, REALLY nice phone

Sendt fra en telefon et sted i Danmark!

Raghav94

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Of all the Windows phones I've had, the HTC8x has been the best one by far. There were many more minor issues with the Nokia's I had, the worst problem being with the Lumia 620, where the screen would become unresponsive, it happened once or twice per day to start with but got progressively worse until it happened around 8 times per day, at which point I sold it and got the 8x. The 8x is a premium bit of kit with a higher resolution screen than most other Windows phones. The financial problems that HTC are having means they have slashed the prices of this handset, but don't let that put you off, it's a great handset at an amazing price! Also while I'm on the bandwagon, I much prefer the 8x to the Lumia 820 too, the 820 is a nice device but just too bulky and heavy, it feels like a brick in your pocket, whereas the 8x with it's much slimmer design and tapered edges is far more comfortable, and lighter too.

Ikr, the design is just amazing, i could care less about support.

Loving it so far.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I've used a lot of RDPing programs over the course of my smartphone and have always come to the conclusion (as well as my partner, who has a HTC 8X), that: "Gee, I just wish the phone would play the media without having to jump through these hoops." We're often on the go, don't have the bandwidth to do that sort of thing via 3 or 4g. I can understand how it is useful for others, especially when you are at home, just stream everything without needing to waste bandwidth, but on-the-go, for formats such as mov and mkv its all third party apps at the moment with shaky performance. I guess its just a case of always wanting what other operating systems have. Equally, I'd hate it if VLC was on windows but not available on Linux or OSX. Sure you can fiddle around with codecs and other players, but when you want something that 'just works' and you are not a power user, it can be a hassle and then some just to play that fiddly format your device decides to encode in just to save some space on compression.

So, I've got to ask how you're getting these files on your device to watch? If you're syncing them from the PC, just convert beforehand or tell your downloader to save in mp4 as a default. I'm not sure about the WP app (I drag n drop) but I remember Zune would do this.

Just sayin

ni28

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
So, I've got to ask how you're getting these files on your device to watch? If you're syncing them from the PC, just convert beforehand or tell your downloader to save in mp4 as a default. I'm not sure about the WP app (I drag n drop) but I remember Zune would do this.

Just sayin

Good suggestion, I did this for year or so on early Android versions, until new media players came out. This is especially advised (maybe not so much now with the faster processors, but back then it was imperative) when you were dealing with full HD (which my poor little single core android phone died, even if it could run the format with some random 3rd party application). The issue is, I travelled on a weekly basis, and it would take me hours to convert things. Solution was simple, convert everything all overnight and then transfer them when you need them. But its still an inconvenience than just simply, dragging and dropping directly onto your device. I mean, even if it did magically convert it to mp4 like your zune did, you'd still have to wait a little while for it to do so.

My two cents on the matter is: the more steps you are required to take, the less convenient it is. Equally, the more time it takes to do something as simple as watching a video, the less I am inclined to pursue that activity. Call me lazy I guess, but that's how I use my devices! I do see your point though, and did that for a year or so (not trying to start a flame war! everyone uses their devices differently)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon