Terrible battery life

jgusa14

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm having absolutely TERRIBLE battery life issues with my 8X, barely getting 10 hours out of moderate use while at work. I wiped the devise clean about a week ago and started fresh again, which seemed to help a lot, I was able to get a solid 15-16 hours of moderate use. Now about a week later, I'm back to terrible battery life again. What gives? I have all background tasks blocked, wifi is always off unless I'm at home, no Bluetooth, and email only syncs every hour. The battery app I have shows I'm discharging at about 8-10% WHILE NOT USING MY PHONE!!! Is there a way I can find out what is sucking the juice while my phone is idle?

EDIT.....one quick thing to add, I turned my phone off with 18% battery when I started typing this post. I turned it back on and amazingly dropped 10% battery while the device was off for about 10 minutes. What the heck is going on? This is getting ridiculous.

Last edited:

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a faulty unit. But i would delete the battery app, they tend to just make battery drain worse whilst simultaneously making you more paranoid about battery drain. Not a good combo.

You seem to be doing most od the things to make battery last longer.

Try this

Charge fully and put in airplane mode. Then see how long your battery lasts.

Signal issues can decimate battery, as the unit struggles to get signal it sends power to the aerial. Turn it on to flight mode for a day or so. If you still get poor battery in airplane mode, then chances are its faulty.

The other thing to consider is games. Some games shred battery, others put the phone into battery shred mode for a while. For eg, when i play halo on my 920 i can expect the next hour or three to eat around 20% battery.

jgusa14

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't play any games on my phone at all. App used most are Twitter and Facebook, that's about it. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of keeping the phone in airplane mode for an entire day just to see if it drains battery. Cell reception is never usually an issue, I live in a major city and hardly ever have issues, especially at work (where I notice the battery drain the most).

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Your signal may not drop precisely because the phone is pumping juice into the aerial.

If you cant go without signal then try just turning data off. Failing that, change fastest connection to 3g. That should save some juice.

jgusa14

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well it looks like all was almost back to normal yesterday. About 16.5 hours off the charger took 80% of my battery with moderate use. Might have been just one of those frustrating random power drops. I'll keep my eye on it though and see if it happens again.

Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk

Padr1n0

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Do you have GDR2? If you don't you may want to force it or maybe get GDR3. Ever since I got GDR2 I'm getting phenomenal battery life on my phone. Im amazed actually at the battery life. As I type right now, im at 1 day and 14 hours with 11% and 3 hours left. It's incredible. The other day I went 1 day 8 hours with 6% left before I plugged it in. The only difference I've made besides GDR2 is moving most of my email from Gmail to Outlook. I doubt that's the reason but it's interesting going from barely making it through the day to this much battery life.

I don't talk much, maybe 2 hours total a day but i'm constantly texting(msn and facebook included) and emailing. Hopefully this helps.

jgusa14

May 15, 2013
Visit site
^^GDR2 is when my battery life started to plummet.

New problem now.....daily battery life isn't bad as I posted before, but now as soon as I hit 20% battery life and Battery Saver kicks on, my phone discharges at a rate of about 30%/hour even when not using the phone. It's crazy. I'll post some of the logs I saved a little later tonight. Is there any known problem with Battery Saver that might cause this?

Padr1n0

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you try changing the percentage that battery saver kicks in and see if that replicates the problem.

If you've already done a hard reset then it looks like a hardware problem. Have you tried deleting and reinstalling apps. One of them could be doing this.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Make sure NFC is off. Check your background tasks, and don't connect to LTE unless you need it.

Also watch instant email sync.

jgusa14

May 15, 2013
Visit site
^^NFC is off, all background tasks are block, and emails only sync every hour.

So on Saturday I turned Battery Saver off to see if that was causing the extreme battery drop once I hit 20%-25% battery life, aaaaand it happened again. Logs show a max of over 100%/hr discharge. So the only new app I have since this started is the battery app. Deleted it. Yesterday I only ran the battery down to about 50% so didn't get to see what happened on low battery, so we'll see what happens today.

Barracuda7772

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't see why battery saver would be the culprit. I have the budget Lumia 520 and I can get 2 days of battery from moderate usage. I charge my battery every second night and sometimes the next day around noon if I'm afraid my battery will die when I'm out and about

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I never use battery saver. Is your phone still under warranty? I get great battery life - usually 24 hours, and even more if I turn off 4g. If I use it moderately on WIFI I don't have any trouble. How often do you stream videos? Either you have defective hardware or your idea of moderate usage is skew :p

Trevor Jones

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
^^GDR2 is when my battery life started to plummet.

New problem now.....daily battery life isn't bad as I posted before, but now as soon as I hit 20% battery life and Battery Saver kicks on, my phone discharges at a rate of about 30%/hour even when not using the phone. It's crazy. I'll post some of the logs I saved a little later tonight. Is there any known problem with Battery Saver that might cause this?

Same here with GDR2, Portico made my battery life sweet. Full charge before bed and after 7hours sleep the phone would be on about 92% battery.
After GDR2 and GDR3 my phone will drain down to about 83 in the same timeframe.
Now after removing a bunch of unused apps and setting it so only Bing Weather,Battery, Swapchat, Whatsapp and WPCentral is running in the background I got only 10% drain in 7 hours which was about the best I've seen it since the GDR2 update.

jgusa14

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well no dice, the battery app wasn't the cause as my phone decided to randomly dump about 20% of battery in less than 5 minutes this afternoon. I guess its time to talk to AT&T's warranty department...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss