Keep GDR1 or update to get Dev GDR3? *Bricking issue

Aldwin1999

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Im just wondering if I should update my brand new HTC 8x to GDR2 to get the GDR3 update (Dev). Because the first HTC 8x I received got ''bricked'' after a couple hours of use with the GDR2 Firmware update. Im just worried the phone will die on me again after the update...

Thanks for the future help :)

*Should I just take a chance and do it? If it gets bricked, just switch it out with the Nokia Lumia 520? (Same price, only choice)

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Test your luck?if it doesn't work get anything Nokia would be best, sorry HTC is good as a competitor but they're not putting much or if any effort into WP8

Aldwin1999

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok thanks :) The only available phone in my plan is the HTC Desire, 8x and Lumia 520... If I get the lumia 520 the specs are not the ''best''... weaker gpu and cpu, smaller ppi compared to 8x and a smaller screen. :/ I guess i should just risk it, It just takes really long to get it all in my carriers system, and to send out my phone. Also only 15 days to return and exchange.... One more question if the phone does fine, no glitches or nothing I see in 7-14 days will it be fine? (Speaking about the FW being stable and not crashing)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
HTC solved the GDR2 bricking issue with a later firmware update, so it should be safe to update to GDR2 and stay there until GDR3 is officially released.

Developer GDR3 won't give you a new firmware, by the way. So if you do upgrade to GDR3 Dev Preview, you'll still have the HTC GDR2 flavour firmware on your phone.

Last edited:

Aldwin1999

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
HTC solved the GDR2 bricking issue with a later firmware update, so it should be safe to update to GDR2 and stay there until GDR3 is officially released.

Developer GDR3 won't give you a new firmware, by the way. So if you do upgrade to GDR3 Dev Preview, you'll still have the HTC GDR2 flavour firmware on your phone.

Thanks for the help :) and I know, I just want the new features, I really like how you can close apps with the x button rather pressing the back button countless of times. Did they fix the sim connection issues? Battery? and the ''other'' storage?
Also did they release the update over-air in canada?

dol4er

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You mentioned SIM connection issues. If you get SIM errors, then you may want to try something that worked out well for me. Remove the SIM card, clean the dust that has gathered on the card and in the slot and then put it back in. One day my phone started getting SIM errors and I had to restart it in order to continue using it. The problem persisted until I cleaned the dust from the SIM card and the SIM card slot of the phone. You can give it a try :)

Chief_Adu

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
It's safe to use the GDR 3 Developers Preview. I have it on my HTC 8X and it works fine!

However, sometimes when I'm calling, the screen goes mad. But when I end the call, the problem is over, lol...

Aldwin1999

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have upgraded to GDR2 and everything went smoothly as plan :D now just setting up for the Dev gdr3!!!! Thanks for all the help guys!

Last edited:

Aldwin1999

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It has been officially 2 days of my update and I have to say GDR3 is a good future update, after a couple of seconds of my finished GDR2 update the ''Other'' files started to decreased to 3.2gb to ~900mb which is really good, I have no Radio (doesnt really matter) and I just love closing the apps by pressing an X on the corner of my page. Thanks for all the help.

wtrmlnjuc

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Check for a firmware update first. That should fix the issues, not GDR3.

My T-Mobile 8X has not had issues because GDR2 was delayed for that model while HTC made a firmware update for it. Since installing GDR2 my phone has only stayed the same, and maybe a little bit faster.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb