Data Sense on 8X

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I chose the carrier I use - EE in the UK.

I guess the point is that Data Sense doesn't always appear magically on the 8X after an OS/firmware update - it needs a little help from the Connection Setup app.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
For convenient ref on how Data Sense works...
Use Data Sense to track data usage | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

There were some changes/additions that came with the GDR3 update (Windows Phone software version 8.0.10501.127 or later)...

Data Sense can reduce the amount of background data you use. You can choose when to restrict background data:

- 'When I'm near my limit', you can choose to restrict background data [GDR2}
- 'Always restrict background data' [GDR3]
- 'Restrict background data when roaming', [GDR3]

Additionally, the 'Reduce data use browing...' switch, which in GDR2 was tied/accessed via IE app, is now available in the Data Sense app settings..which as previous, sends URLs to Data Sense to reduce data usage. I'm not sure if not being tied to IE allows this feature to work with other wp8 browsers or not eg UC Browser, Touch Browser etc. If so, that would be a nice improvement if not already enabled in GDR2..

Important caveats to not create other issues...
- Restricting background data may prevent some things from happening automatically, including voice over Internet protocol (VoIP) incoming call notifications, email syncing, background uploads and downloads, and Live Tile updates. All depending on your choices of restriction of data useage.
- Selecting Always means that your Live Tiles won't update, and you'll need to manually sync your email to get new messages. So in most cases, you'll want to use 'When I'm near my limit'.

jorgejlt

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I needed a hard reset for Data Sense working after last firmware update. It didn't appear previously in my htc 8x unbranded gdr3 developer preview.

bumbybog

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
just found out...if the carrier doesn't allow Data Sense on your HTC 8x...the guys on WMpoweruser have found a way to activate it
they managed to make it work in Australia, but following the steps described i succeded to make it work on a branded phone for Orange Romania
good luck!

benryder

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
HTC 8X. Unlocked on Three. I didn't have Data Sense, but last night I performed a Hard Reset on my phone.. and there it was! Slightly extreme way of getting it, but I had to reset for other reasons.

Chief_Adu

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

akulgupta100

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Did not work for me :'( My carrier supports data sense ..I cant hard reset as I'll lose my save games

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05