T-Mobile HTC Windows Phone 8x on T-Mobile, when will we get OTA GDR3?

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious as to when people think the 8X will get GDR3 OTA with T-Mobile.

I used to have a HTC HD7 that I used on prepaid with T-Mobile for about a year and a half. I ended up updating it to 7.8 via the cab method. I also ran a 810 for about a month or so, but jumped at the opportunity to give it back to T-Mobile under the agreement they had with the Attorney General of Washington State.

I bought a new HTC 8x off of CowBoom about a week and a half ago. I am pretty happy with it. I updated it to GDR2 and outfitted it with an Incipio Feather case and a Zagg screen protector. I will never buy another 8gb phone, it's simply not enough memory for an enthusiast (16 is bare minimum and almost not enough).

It does get pretty hot while playing games and I am a little unsure about the battery life, but I am pretty happy with the phone.

So back to the question at hand. Do people think T-Mobile will bring out GDR3 and how soon? And the bonus question, is the 8x going to get 8.1 from T-Mobile??

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey b23h we're expecting GDR3 to be released en-mass at the end of November-December. If you'd like to know more about GDR3, check this thread out: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/241806-gdr3-update-3-features-information.html

My understanding is that international versions of the 8x have had the OTA release of GDR3 since late October. AT&T also rolled out GDR 3 for their 8x in late October. I swear I also heard news about Rogers in Canada and a GDR 3 release. So it's clearly already been released via official OTA for some carriers. I was curious as to if anyone had an idea when T-Mobile would release it? T-Mobile wasn't exactly quick about releasing GDR 2, but it is my understanding that GDR 2 was a bit problematic so there's some potential reason for that delay.

EDIT:
I am seeing indications on the Verizon HTC 8x GDR 3 thread that it may have dropped for them TODAY!

Last edited:

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
So with the Verizon HTC 8X now having GDR 3, I believe that all 8X's released in the US by the major carriers have GDR 3 released with the exception of T-Mobile.

Correct me if I am wrong on that. So the question remains, when will T-Mobile release GDR 3 for the HTC 8X?

Personally I think the carriers have a customer service paradigm that is absolutely backwards and amateurish. If I was running T-Mobile I would have my customer service/forum managers involve the customer as much as possible. The current customer service regime creates distance and alienation between customer and brand. This is what I mean; if I was T-Mobile and I received firmware and OS upgrades from HTC/Microsoft for testing I would tell my customers that. I would also tell the customer what the company's plan is on release. People want to know what to expect, this knowledge allows people to plan and to feel some level of control over their circumstances. Acknowledging what is a central facet of people's personality and bringing one's customer service regime into compliance will reinforce brand loyalty in one's customers. Keeping one's customers "in the loop" reinforces involvement with one's brand as opposed to the current customer service regime. So if I was running customer service at T-Mobile or any other carrier I would increase communications with the customer unless prohibited by NDA's. If one's plans on release of an update changes due to circumstances or testing results, a simple and brief statement to the customer will suffice. Involving the customer will increase brand loyalty and reduce customer churn.

A lot of American companies have poor and amateurish customer service paradigms, with tech companies and especially cell phone carriers being some of the worst examples.

Last edited:

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
TELUS to roll out Update 3 to Lumia 520, 620 and 1020 in Janurary 2014 | Windows Phone Central

Clearly communicating information like that is not impossible. While I have no idea what typical customer service is with Telus, I certainly like that they are communicating their plans to their customers. While sooner is always better when it comes to updates, it's always good to know what's coming. So January is a month away, but at least they know when. So Telus, I am impressed, and T-Mobile not......

My conclusion is that it seems likely that disclosing such information is not covered by NDA's and it is just cheesy self-rationalization that prevents other companies from following suit.

arpo

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Ist das GDR3 inzwischen da? T-Mobile hat bei mir das Update aufgespielt. (htc 8x). Und, ja, das WP8.1-Update kommt auch noch, aber sp?ter, wenn bei MS verf?gbar.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Ist das GDR3 inzwischen da? T-Mobile hat bei mir das Update aufgespielt. (htc 8x). Und, ja, das WP8.1-Update kommt auch noch, aber sp?ter, wenn bei MS verf?gbar.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

per Bing Translator:

Is the GDR3 now? T-Mobile, the update has played with me. (htc 8 x). And, Yes, the WP8. 1 update coming also, but later, when available on MS

Hello arpo,

Welcome to WP Central. Perhaps T-Mobile has released GDR 3 in Europe, however they have not released it here in the US. Perhaps T-Mobile in Europe treats its' customers better, but here in the US they tend to abandon support for their WP devices. So while I have hope that GDR 3 will be released to the HTC 8X, I am far from sure about 8.1. Per Microsoft support policy the HTC 8X should receive 8.1, but we shall see.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
There's an update for the 8X on T-Mobile today.

From what I can see it looks as if multiple phones have received the updates at the same time, so it is not a T-Mobile update. Also I saw no firmware update....

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Is this in the US?

Sorry, I don't mention it in the original post, but yes I am talking about the US. Someone speaking German implied that GDR 3 has been released to the HTC 8X in Europe (one would assume) however I cannot verify that. I've got all the understanding of German that one might expect to find in someone who has an undergraduate concentration in philosophy, so if all you say is sein und zeit, I can translate. Given that, I was unable to verify the release status of GDR 3 for the HTC 8x on the German T-Mobile site.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss