Switched from WP to Android - Want to Come Back. 8X? (Verizon)

dmagic17

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Anyone on VZW knows their WP lineup is pretty outdated. Because of this, I went hardware over software with my last purchase and picked up a Droid Mini in October. It packs a lot of power in a small package (similar in size to my old Trophy) and I really like a smaller device. Since then, I have become increasingly frustrated with the Android OS and want to switch back. 8Xs are going for reasonable prices on eBay so I thought of selling my Mini and picking one up.

Is this a good move or is this phone already a dinosaur? It is much bigger than I prefer, but sleeker than the Lumia 928.

Thanks!

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
They will all be similar in speed but I have to recommend the 928. The camera and Xenon flash are great and Nokia stands behind their products like no other.

clindhartsen

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
At this point, it looks like we may be on the crest of a new generation of phones with quad core chips if the 1520 is any sign, so if you want more power you can wait, but the 8X is by no means a slow phone in regular use.

I've had a friend go from an 8X to a 928 and he's been pleased with that phone. Either should be great.

tds101

May 14, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 929 is due to come out soon on Verizon, be patient as it's definitely worth the wait. A smaller screen 1520,...excellent device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

tds101

May 14, 2012
Visit site
And "yes", I'm on an Android device. But I love WP as well,... I'm originally coming from a Lumia 920. I will be back again,... ;-)

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Anyone on VZW knows their WP lineup is pretty outdated. Because of this, I went hardware over software with my last purchase and picked up a Droid Mini in October. It packs a lot of power in a small package (similar in size to my old Trophy) and I really like a smaller device. Since then, I have become increasingly frustrated with the Android OS and want to switch back. 8Xs are going for reasonable prices on eBay so I thought of selling my Mini and picking one up.

Is this a good move or is this phone already a dinosaur? It is much bigger than I prefer, but sleeker than the Lumia 928.

Thanks!

My first Windows phone was an HTC 8x but I wanted to get a lower resolution WP8 phone to test the WP8 apps I write on. I bought a Lumia 822 on eBay for $139 and love it. Feels better in the hand to me and you get the Nokia extras. I'm waiting for the "Black" update so I can play with Bluetooth 4.0 LE which I think will not be supported on the 8x.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I've been on android with VZW for years but just decided to de-Google. Was waiting for 929 but got tired of waiting, so I just picked up a 928 with a small crack in the screen for $90.

dmagic17

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
What are some of the "extras" that come along with the Nokia brand? Also, safe to assume that all the devices mentioned (besides the Lumia 928) have FM radio functionality by now?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 929 is due to come out soon on Verizon, be patient as it's definitely worth the wait. A smaller screen 1520,...excellent device.

We have no idea when/if the Nokia Lumia 929 is going to come out. I wouldn't place any bets on it.

dmagic17

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Definitely between the 822 and 8X right now. I loved my HTC trophy and the design/features of the 8X, but I wish HTC had a little more action in the Windows game right now.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Definitely between the 822 and 8X right now. I loved my HTC trophy and the design/features of the 8X, but I wish HTC had a little more action in the Windows game right now.

If you are going to get the phone subsidized through Verzion then I would certainly wait the extra month for the release of the 929...

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Just consider internal storage. 8X on VZW should have 16gb. While it does support SD, the L822 only has 8gb.

If you are any type of WP enthusiast (and anyone posting on this site likely is), then I really would have to suggest staying away from 8gb phones. If your are judicious in your installation of applications you can pull of staying within 8gb, but for me what is the purpose of having a smartphone if you have to be super concerned about what you install.

I'd still suggest waiting to see what the cost of the 929 will be, that is going to be a sweet phone...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs