Android fan trying out Windows Phone 8 - I keep going back....

codyfred85

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
So I've been a Google/Android guy for a while. I've owned several phones and have liked how the OS has matured. After seeing stories on Windows phones, I picked up an 8x.

My main problem so far has been a lack of apps or features in the apps. It feels like the OS and apps need more time to develop. I thought I'd reach out to you long time users and see if you had suggestions on how I could improve my experience.

A few things/apps I miss or need-

*The length of the snooze on the alarm can not be changed. I haven't found an app that will do this. - stupid I know but it's something I'm used to.
*I constantly use my phone for music. I've uploaded most of my collection and pay monthly for Google Music. I noticed there was a music section in the store. How does that compare?
*I also use NFC tags a lot to connect to bluetooth music players and automatically change settings. Are there any apps that can program the tags?
*I have Facebook but don't really use it much, Twitter is something I use constantly. The stock Twitter app seems slow and outdated. What is a popular 3rd party replacement?
*I have a pebble and currently it looks like it's not supported due to restraints the OS has on developers. Is there a useful app?
*Nokia seems to have features other Windows phones don't - folders, glance, double tap, maps - what replacement apps, if any, can give the same features?
*It's also very difficult to know that I have a notification. I use a Moto X currently and never miss a call/text due to active display and my pebble.

Overall the phones build quality is great. I'm not a fan of physical keys but it's not a deal breaker. The future looks bright for Windows but it might not be enough for me right now.

Any suggestions to apps or things you've found useful while using this phone are more than welcome.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
First, welcome to WPCentral! You've come to the right place!

1. You can't change the snooze time. Who knows if that will change with 8.1.
2. I've never used Google Music. You've no doubt figured out how WP doesn't play so well with Google services... I don't know if there's anything that will work with GM or not, as I don't use any Google services other than YouTube, and I can't compare GM to Xbox Music. But if you want to give Xbox Music a try to compare, the first month is free, IIRC.
3. I use NFC the way you do. Here's the app I use.
NFC interactor | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
You'll find that NFC doesn't quite work the same as it does on Android. Microsoft's security model doesn't allow NFC tags to make changes to settings, but just open that settings page. You'll have to approve it each time. Reportedly this will change in WP 8.1, and you'll be able to allow tags to be authorized on a one-by-one basis so you won't have to approve the trusted ones each time you use them. I don't know how deep that trust goes - whether it will just open the page, or if they will now allow the tag to make the change for you.
4. I don't use Twitter much, but when I do, I use the official app (not the built-in functionality). Occasionally I use the Rowi app, but that one has reached it's token limit, so you won't be able to use it.
5. Pebble - I don't know.
6. I believe Samsung has a folder app, but not sure about HTC. I could have it backwards. Look in the HTC section of the store. For tap and glance, no - nothing. For Here Drive, I believe there's a way to get it, but I can't swear to that. I seem to recall reading that you could, but I have been all Nokia since WP8, so I don't know with 100% certainty.
Ok - quick search reveals this:
Nokia to update and release HERE apps for all Windows Phone 8 smartphones | Windows Phone Central7. Notifications - if you pin the phone tile and the messaging tile, you'll get live tile updates for those notifications. Same with any other apps that have live tile functionality, up to a limit. I don't recall with 100% certainty, but I'm thinking that there's a 15 app limit for live tiles, but it can be lower depending on the phone. I'm thinking the 8x isn't going to have a lower limit. There is no notification center, but that will change in WP8.1.

Hope this helps!

gottago

Dec 5, 2004
Visit site
Regarding your google music, you might try CloudMuzik in the store. I am not saying it is the best but, it will allow you to at least stream what you have stored on Google. YMMV.

Bryan Sayas

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
There's actually a third party app for Pebble. "Pebble Watch Pro" and "Pebble Watch Lite" but the only problem is it doesn't work very well/at all for background task.

DNHill

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
And for files/folders, I find Pocket File Manager is good for local files/folders (subject to some restrictions imposed by WP8.0), and for remote files Sharefolder works for Windows/SMB shares.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I feel like a lot of your issues with WP8 might be resolved with 8.1. I just bought an 8x off that group on deal that was on the main page just so I could play around with 8.1 and windows phone again. What I am trying to say is maybe you should wait until 8.1 to return the phone, if possible, or sell it.

codyfred85

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I've got a G2 and Moto X so I won't be returning the 8X. I think 8.1 will come close to allowing me to use the phone as a daily driver.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon