Should I sell my HTC 8X?

Jay Garrick

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I didn't like Android so I wanted a Windows Phone 8 so I just bought an HTC 8X a few weeks ago. I have some mixed feelings about it, and I kinda feel like I regret buying it. It feels very premium and comfortable in my hands when holding it and it's very sleek in comparison with my old fat HTC Evo 3D and the apps and games looks really good, I instantly get notified when a Wi-Fi connection is nearby. However I'm quite disappointed that there's no removable battery, no MicroSD slot, and only 70 Mah more battery than my old HTC EVO 3D, which means only 4% more. Because I wanted a phone with a better battery, my old phone was very terrible, terrible without Wi-Fi enabled much more terrible when enabled. It just ended after a few hours with it having Wi-Fi enabled even without using it so I had to constantly enable and disable it. This new phone I've got however have instantly filled all the storage just by downloading 5-10 games and 3 videos, and I haven't even used had it for more than 2 weeks, even the Bluetooth is older. In order to get more space for content, should I just keep removing and adding content? Will I then lose saves games? The Samsung Ativ S 32GB doesn't look much more expensive. So should I ditch the 8X and buy a Samsung Ativ S or should I wait for Windows Phone 9? If I sold my 8X, what should I do before selling it, should I just format it? WIll I then lose all my save games?

Last edited:

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I gotta say, I have had mine for a yr and a half and the battery life is amazing. That seems a little weird with ur storage issue. What carrier are you on, if I can ask?

Cheewii Poon

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
This all depends on your budget and what you expect and use a phone for. If you downloaded big games like Asphalt or Final Fantasy then storage would definitely fill up quick. Since you just bought it, it feels like you're having buyers remorse, so I would suggest you use the phone for a week more or so to test out the battery, the battery life depends on much more than the mAh rating. Also, if you decide to change phones anyway, I recommend you just get a new phoe without selling the 8X, because right now HTC 8X prices are crazy low, so you wouldn't get much out of selling it anyway. Unless you're on a tight budget, which I would then recommend that you keep the 8X (assuming it works fine and you can live with it without running finding a lace to charge it) and wait for one of the new Nokia WP8.1 devices to come out/the new, better Nokia devices to drop in price. In any case, I recommend you buy Nokia phone because the support for WP there is the strongest, you never know when Samsung might just ditch the whole WP line. And if you're still insistent on selling it, you can reset it in the settings under About > Reset your phone. Your save games will be lost.

Jay Garrick

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
This all depends on your budget and what you expect and use a phone for. If you downloaded big games like Asphalt or Final Fantasy then storage would definitely fill up quick. Since you just bought it, it feels like you're having buyers remorse, so I would suggest you use the phone for a week more or so to test out the battery, the battery life depends on much more than the mAh rating. Also, if you decide to change phones anyway, I recommend you just get a new phoe without selling the 8X, because right now HTC 8X prices are crazy low, so you wouldn't get much out of selling it anyway. Unless you're on a tight budget, which I would then recommend that you keep the 8X (assuming it works fine and you can live with it without running finding a lace to charge it) and wait for one of the new Nokia WP8.1 devices to come out/the new, better Nokia devices to drop in price. In any case, I recommend you buy Nokia phone because the support for WP there is the strongest, you never know when Samsung might just ditch the whole WP line. And if you're still insistent on selling it, you can reset it in the settings under About > Reset your phone. Your save games will be lost.
So do I have to keep adding and removing and losing save games in order to get space in this phone? Isn't there a list of WP8 games that support cloud saving?

Excect fast downloads and good design the Samsung Ativ S feels like everything this phone should've had, it has a far better battery that can be removed and that doesn't need to be send to the manufacturer if finished, it has better bluetooth, it has a bigger screen, not too big not too little, it has 13% higher resolution, it has an external memory slot, it's thinner, and it will support Onedrive microSD saving when version 8.1 is out. Most of the good Lumias don't have a microSD slot, the 1320 have one, but the screen is too big and the phone is too over the top for me. What kind of exclusive apps are there on the Lumias?

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I see you keep bringing up the battery, but like I mentioned. I've had mine for a year and a half and I still go all day off one over night charge. And I'm a pretty heavy power user. If ur having some battery issues, make sure NFC (Touch to Share) is turned off. That will eat battery life. As for Lumias, they actually have quite a bit of exclusive apps. When I upgrade next week, I will be getting the Nokia Lumia Icon. But I have to say, I love my 8x. I have tons of pics and videos, and way too many apps....i am such an app hoar...lol. Anyway, 32gb would have been preferred, but 16 has been getting me by, especially since my music is synced thru Xbox music. As for resolution, its not even noticeable...the difference between the Ativ and the 8x.

Jay Garrick

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Whether NFC is on or off, it still has 500 mAh lesser than the Ativ which is 28% lesser battery, which is a lot, because I use a lot of battery per day. It's not just that, but the Bluetooth is way too old and 16GB is way too little for me, and that is a huge issue for a core gamer like myself. The storage was finished in a week, the Ativ S would've been a much better fit for me even unlike the Lumias, because bascally all the versions have either non-removable battery, low battery, too big screen, bad processor or no microSD slot.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
My battery life is unreal. I have Gmail syncing to manual and am only running Amazing Weather HD in the background, granted. I can get about 1.5 days of life with average use.

Jay Garrick

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I just sold it after having it for only a week, I lost a few bucks, but what the hell, I think the storage was a disaster, only 16GB (with having 0 ability to add extra storage) and so was the battery compared with the not much more expensive Ativ S, the Ativ S beats it in every single criteria except design and fast downloads I think, but battery, save games, storage, bluetooth and resolution are much more important, in the end the device will download stuff and lots of it even though it isn't as fast. Now I'm left with my HTC 3D again, I don't really know when I should buy the Ativ S, it would've been great if you could import some Android apps over to Windows Phone, because there are a couple of quite important apps that aren't available on Windows Phone and that I want tranfered over there. I'm stuck with my HTC Evo due to 1-2 apps and the battery is pissing me off.

Peter McNeill1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
If you buy the Samsung you give up LTE, a sharper screen according to phonearena/gsmarena (resolution on the ativa s is actually lower) and if you search the Samsung forum you'll see the amoled screen suffers burn in. I'm not a gamer on a phone so 16gig is fine for me. Hmmm... tiny 5" and under screens compared to 24" HD goodness, nope, I'll never use a phone for games or watching movies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon