no, 8.1? thanks

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
It's Microsoft's signature phone, not T-Mobile's. Regardless of carrier interference, Microsoft did provide a way to access OS updates.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
HTC pledged to bring 8.1 to all HTC 8Xs. So I guess most carrier will approve in time.

If you don't like to wait you can get 8.1 anyway on April 10 and then wait for the carriers to release HTC's firmwire.

confused_dork

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I got a possitive response from htc's twitter handle on the 8.1 update they said that they would be supporting all the windows phone devices.

wiseguywood

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I will be putting preview 8.1 when it arrives.

As an orphan of T-Mo phones, i.e. HTC 8x and Nokia Lumia 810 both stuck on GDR 2 without preview, I am thankful that Microsoft has offered a chance to upgrade even without carrier support, which would appear to qualify as supporting a phone at least 18 months after release (is it now 3years??).

Both of my phones will be updated day 1 of 8.1!

T-Mo lack of support of dropped Windows Phones is horrible at best.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't GDR 3 also a Microsoft update? It has been available to all other 8X phones, but not those on T-Mobile USA. I love my 8X but have no faith that T-Mobile USA will push it. Unfortunately or luckily depending on your point of view my 8X has been acting up forcing me to move to the 925 as I use it for work and T-Mobile has already said that one will get it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
T-mo ain't updating the 810, and they certainly won't do so for their version of the 8X. They'll argue that both didn't sell enough to warrant those extra resources. Its a shame, but that's why I own an unlocked 8X as I don't trust t-mo at all.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
For some reason, every time I think of T-Mobile I get the urge to go to the bathroom. The laxative effect of T-Mo is amazing.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Canada with an 8X and I got the GDR3 over wifi from MS so I would assume the 8.1 update can be gotten the same way regardless of carrier.

Um, no. That's very inaccurate.

That only works of you are factory unlocked. Because MSFT went through OTA via carriers, if your carrier didn't sell enough of that model, they're not obligated to keep the updates coming. That is what happened with t-mo's 8X and their 810. As much as HTC, Nokia and MSFT want to update both phones, t-mo isn't interested.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile stopped support for the 8X with GDR2. I also got the GDR3 direct using Dev Preview. I am sure we'll get it that way as well.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Um, no. That's very inaccurate.

That only works of you are factory unlocked. Because MSFT went through OTA via carriers, if your carrier didn't sell enough of that model, they're not obligated to keep the updates coming. That is what happened with t-mo's 8X and their 810. As much as HTC, Nokia and MSFT want to update both phones, t-mo isn't interested.

That is some kind of BS. I'm glad John Chen told T-Mo to shove it. BB is in no position to dictate terms but at least they're keeping their pride. MS needs to show T-Mo that there will be no wag-the-dog going on.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
That is some kind of BS. I'm glad John Chen told T-Mo to shove it. BB is in no position to dictate terms but at least they're keeping their pride. MS needs to show T-Mo that there will be no wag-the-dog going on.

Actually, MSFT is still not in a position to dictate to ANY carrier. If you look on the MSFT website on the "6 reasons to switch to Windows phone", it is clear as day - in the fine print at the bottom of the page.

"All WP8 models support the WP8.1 update; availability varies by carrier."

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Actually, MSFT is still not in a position to dictate to ANY carrier. If you look on the MSFT website on the "6 reasons to switch to Windows phone", it is clear as day - in the fine print at the bottom of the page.

"All WP8 models support the WP8.1 update; availability varies by carrier."

That reeks of CYA. Don't blame us, blame your carrier.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
That reeks of CYA. Don't blame us, blame your carrier.

Actually, it is not CYA by MSFT. if you read the EOL thread in the 810 forums, we talk about this issue extensively.

MSFT on its own has a ****ty relationship with the carriers. So it lets the OEM, in this case Nokia and HTC do the work. now if the carrier hold the OEMs by the balls - remember the carrier isn't negotiating directly with MSFT (until the Nokia sale goes through completely)- there is nothing MSFT can do. If they had any sense, they find the t-mo 8X and 810 situation embarrassing. I'm sure they found the AT&T 920 Amber update situation embarrassing too.

We will see how much of Nokias's goodwill with the carriers translates to MSFT once the sale closes for the next round of contracts. Personally, I still expect the truly non premier partners like t-mo to **** consumers over with regard to updates if a handset doesn't sell well. And that's why I'm happy to sacrifice data speeds for updates by getting unlocked phones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss