Power off due to "empty" battery, but when started again it still has 20%...!?!?

cerk2006

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Having some bizarre problem with my wife's HTC8X. The phone constantly power offs due to "empty" battery, but if I powered on it still has x% of juice... This situation may repeat several times after being "empty" (again), the only difference is that each time the phone is powered on the battery level is a bit lower. After several restarts the phone finally cannot be powered on... The phone was not charged at any time during this process! I checked the battery level and was indeed at 1% every time just before the power off.

Few days ago the phone was again powered off due to "empty" battery, but when I power it on again it showed 20%. Then I drain it up with battery discharger app. until power off - I could see the battery level dropping to 1% and then power off.... Again, after power on the battery level was 12%. Repeated the bat. discharger routine, but I was still able to power it on after being "empty" several times... 8%, 4%, 2%...

What is wrong? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Uros

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
How long have you had your phone? Could be the 1st sign that the battery has just been cycled too many times.

IMO, that I've always noticed issues like that when trying to get a precise reading on a battery, and if you can still go a day with light usage then you should be fine. If the battery life hasn't changed, just the fact that your phone is saying Goodbye with a couple minutes of juice left; it really isn't anything to worry about.

Somedays my phone will say "Goodbye" when it said it still had 12%, or 8% left, sometimes it will go down to 4%. I do not think I've ever gotten lower than 4 though.

cerk2006

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to both,

I have had it for just over a year now. No problems at the beginning, started 2 or 3 mounts ago. The local repair shop suggested to hard reset the phone and see if the issue still persists... speculating that it might be application related. What do you think?

Last edited:

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to both,

I have had it for just over a year now. No problems at the beginning, started 2 or 3 mounts ago. The local repair shop suggested to hard reset the phone and see if the issue still persists... speculating that it might be application related. What do you think?

How long does the phone last with minimal to no usage? If you can still get a good part of the day out of your phone, I do not think it is worth it to do a reset! You lose all your settings and app data when you do a reset and, personally, I wouldn't be able to deal with losing my game saves, haha.

If I could still get a good 12 hours of usage out of the phone I'd let the issue slide until I got WP8.1....and then look to see how well app data is restored and I'd revisit the situation at that point.

Last edited:

cerk2006

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The phone still lasts about 2-3days with minimal to no usage, but its getting worse.
I will wait until WP8.1 and revisit the situation then. Thanks for advise!

theinterceptor

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Now that the 8X has been around for a while (and the warranties have expired) we're seeing all kinds of crazy things happening which I suspect is due to the battery needing replacement. A common problem is a phone that turns on and off in an endless cycle. If you happen to be the poor soul who has had this happen I have some bad news. Some people seem to think a hard reset will cure this problem but I can tell you that even if you are lucky enough to reset the phone using the button method and get it charged, the battery will fail again in short order. More bad news... the battery is buried inside under the motherboard. While I have seen replacement batteries around for the 8X, taking these phones apart in an effort to replace the battery isn't for the faint of heart.
Thanks HTC! What will you do next? Have the phone self destruct when any attempt is made to open it up?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3