8X Bricked during 8.1 upgrade - Beware !

The Scag

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Per my thread in the Whirlpool form(HTC 8x Bricked after WP 8.1 Update - HTC - Windows Phone - Whirlpool Forums)
Via MS Dev preview, I updated my 8X to wp8.1. It had worked ok on my 520 Lumia and the extra features were very useful. So all updates and processes appeared to be going smoothly, but after the final install , end result was an endless Boot Loop, showing the White HTC boot screen for about 3 seconds, then restarting continuously.
Managed to issue a factory reset, but that did not appear to do anything, and the loop continues. Have not been able to get back into Factory reset mode since. I can get into Boot Loader & Flash mode, but HTC dont provide a mechanism to restore the ROM. Up the proverbial creek without a paddle. The Phone is according to HTC a US version (and later claimed it was a UK version) , and is manufactured differently than those in Australia, and hence cant be repaired here.... (hmmm... convenient argument for HTC) I had spoken to them regarding warranty for the headphone jack a couple of weeks ago, and they informed me I would have to send the Phone from Australia to Taiwan for a warranty repair and that would cost $100 ... I purchased the phone new off ebay, where the auction stated the phone was in Australia, would ship from australia, and warranty would be covered by manufacturer. (I have raised a case with Ebay on that, as they were the two reasons I agreed to buy off ebay ...anyway, it shipped from Hong Kong...... sneaky Bas**rds :angry:
Here are the details from the Bootloader screen. - http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a406/smoogusdal/bootloader_8x_zps17c70e79.jpg

Following this link, How to: Flash original ROM for bricked HTC 8X after updating GDR2 | Tung's Blog
I downloaded the Euro version rom and placed it into the RUU folder.
I put the 8x into Bootloader mode, and connected via USB to the PC.
I Ran the RUU (Rom update utility)
The phone showed a green progress meter at the bottom of the screen pretty quickly, and it got to about 24% within about 3 seconds, then the phone rebooted.
And I got the error 270 message ? Image file corrupt message.
See screenshot here -http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a406/smoogusdal/ruu_error_270_zps20226cec.jpg
Phone is now continuing its endless(mindless?) loop.... :(
I have tried to download the asia rom, but after 6 attempts, it fails part way thru the download.

Are there any later roms ? or other locations where I can get Roms... Its pathetic HTC dont offer a method to recover your phone, unlike Nokia..

Any HTC dev/guru's out there ? :amaze:

The Scag

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Or does anyone know of any reliable mirrors of those ROM Files ? The vietnamese download site wont let you reattempt a download within 24 hrs if your initial download attempt fails....

The Scag

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Finally managed to get a solid download on the asia rom.. 3hrs...ugghh.
Same result though as the Euro Rom. Error 270. :crying:

covdubber

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
My HTC 8S was bricked after an update/upgrade too. It just sat there forever with those gear wheels (whirring cogs) - at least a week! Further attempts to do hard reset didn't work either although (with good timing) I could get to bootloader screen and thats the mode you need.

The ROM update is the only fix then but remember its a zip file - not as it appears to be, a large exe file. Once unzipped, you can run it if you can get phone in bootloader mode. Combination of power, vol down & camera button. You should see a white screen with green text followed by three barcodes, but if battery flat and no cable, it'll reboot until battery is exhausted. All a bit frustrating.

If yours has run flat and won't take a charge, you need to leave it on charger for at least an hour. It doesn't fully recharge it but is enough to get into bootloader mode. You have to plug PC usb lead in as soon as you see bootloader so you can keep it on screen. With luck the word 'serial' at bottom of screen will change to 'USB' and then, with it recognised by PC at that level, run the ROM rewrite.

Worked ok on the 8S. I'm in the UK and used the European version of the file. Hope it helps someone else anyway....

Just remember, if your PC can't see phone or just has a device error, the ROM update will not work. You need that bootloader screen and the word 'USB' (not 'Serial') showing at the bottom.

Most seem to get in this mess on the 8S because its internal memory isn't great. They end up doing a hard reset because there was no capacity left on phone to take latest update, despite trying to make room but to do that phone not only needs to be fully charged but left in charger during update. If it does go flat during update - result: brick:)

To unbrick it, In Europe or UK you'll need this file name:

RUU_RIO_U_APO_00_HTC_Europe_1.04.401.03_1.11b.3054.25_10.13.30_RETAIL_ENC_RELEASE

Unzip that file.

Make sure phone is connected to PC, in bootloader and it says 'USB'. Allow PC time to recognise phone as a basic device rather than just an error. You may find to get the full bootloader screen, you have to start without usb lead in, holding power, volume down and camera and let go before phone just reboots but be ready with that USB lead. As soon as you see bootloader, plug in the USB lead and you should see the word 'serial' after three barcodes.

Screen should hold fine in bootloader with USB lead in.

Once you do patch the ROM (and be patient once it starts), you'll need another day near a good wifi connection to install all the updates that came after. You've got all the info I can possibly supply. Good luck!

Last edited:

Anshuman Bhadauria

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
My HTC 8S was bricked after an update/upgrade too. It just sat there forever with those gear wheels (whirring cogs) - at least a week! Further attempts to do hard reset didn't work either although (with good timing) I could get to bootloader screen and thats the mode you need.

The ROM update is the only fix then but remember its a zip file - not as it appears to be, a large exe file. Once unzipped, you can run it if you can get phone in bootloader mode. Combination of power, vol down & camera button. You should see a white screen with green text followed by three barcodes, but if battery flat and no cable, it'll reboot until battery is exhausted. All a bit frustrating.

If yours has run flat and won't take a charge, you need to leave it on charger for at least an hour. It doesn't fully recharge it but is enough to get into bootloader mode. You have to plug PC usb lead in as soon as you see bootloader so you can keep it on screen. With luck the word 'serial' at bottom of screen will change to 'USB' and then, with it recognised by PC at that level, run the ROM rewrite.

Worked ok on the 8S. I'm in the UK and used the European version of the file. Hope it helps someone else anyway....

Just remember, if your PC can't see phone or just has a device error, the ROM update will not work. You need that bootloader screen and the word 'USB' (not 'Serial') showing at the bottom.

Most seem to get in this mess on the 8S because its internal memory isn't great. They end up doing a hard reset because there was no capacity left on phone to take latest update, despite trying to make room but to do that phone not only needs to be fully charged but left in charger during update. If it does go flat during update - result: brick:)

To unbrick it, In Europe or UK you'll need this file name:

RUU_RIO_U_APO_00_HTC_Europe_1.04.401.03_1.11b.3054.25_10.13.30_RETAIL_ENC_RELEASE

Unzip that file.

Make sure phone is connected to PC, in bootloader and it says 'USB'. Allow PC time to recognise phone as a basic device rather than just an error. You may find to get the full bootloader screen, you have to start without usb lead in, holding power, volume down and camera and let go before phone just reboots but be ready with that USB lead. As soon as you see bootloader, plug in the USB lead and you should see the word 'serial' after three barcodes.

Screen should hold fine in bootloader with USB lead in.

Once you do patch the ROM (and be patient once it starts), you'll need another day near a good wifi connection to install all the updates that came after. You've got all the info I can possibly supply. Good luck!

Can please post HTC 8s rom links

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea