Browsing the internet doesn't work when HTX 8X "shares internet" with Windows XP

anon8942354

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Let me get straight to the point by giving my steps.

1. Active Internet Sharing from the HTC 8X device
2. Make the wireless connection to the broadcast name of the HTC device
3. I check for IP/DNS addrresses given to the laptop by the ATT network
4. I open Chrome (tried with IE also), to connect to a web page. Fails

I receive "web page not available" error message. When I follow all the above steps
on my Windows 7 Pro laptop (both Dell products), the connection works and web pages
load successfully.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So you're saying internet sharing works with Windows 7, but not on your XP computer?

And before someone says it, its best to ditch XP for something else, whether its Vista, 8.1, Ubuntu, Fedora, Mac OS, Mint...

anon8942354

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Right, I should ditch XP. But until then... Technically, I can't imagine why it doesn't work. XP and the network adapter in the laptop allows me to make the WPA2/AES connection. The proper authentication (handskake) is made to the HTC device. The IP addess is acquired. The command ipconfig/all displays the IP and DNS address. I can ping the DNS address but nothing else (and web browsing doesn't work). ATT was no help after spending thirty minutes on the phone with them. They said it was an Windows issue.

anon8942354

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
The issue appears to have been some type of network traffic caching issue within the ATT data network. I got hold of a very knowledgeable ATT southern bell and she fixed me up in about 15 minutes. Her magic in addition to a restart/re-provisioning of the HTC device completely solved the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans