Sent a mail to HTC Support and this was their reply.

TheBluesOne

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I sent a mail to HTC support requesting for information of when WP8.1 update will be available for HTC 8X and following was their reply:

"We understand how important it is for you to have your phone upgraded to the latest available operating system in the market. Our goal is to give every customer the best possible experience on every phone. We only update our phones if it will provide an overall improved user experience as we balance features performance and usability. As of now Windows 8.1 update is not schedule to be launched for HTC Windows Phone 8X."

I have replied back to them requesting for a specific timeline. Hope to get a positive answer from them!

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
A specific timeline for a "not scheduled" launch?
Their response might be interesting. Not sure how else they could have phrased it.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
HTC is really screwing us over. No support for their apps, especially since 8.1 preview, now they're not planning to get us 8.1 final build (yes I know the preview is RTM) even though it's rolling out on every Lumia device right now...

I wish I could go back and get the Lumia 520 like I originally wanted. If anyone wants a Windows Phone, Nokia is the way to go!

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
It boils down to the fact that HTC is being really ambiguous, or being d*cks. By "not scheduled to be launched," they either mean 'not scheduled at this time or any time in the absolute near future' or 'lol you're not getting 8.1.' If the former is the case, you'd just have to play the waiting game that's oh so common with companies that distribute windows phones. If the latter is the case, it becomes a case of HTC lying through their teeth or reniging/changing plans without notification.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Strange. See how they said "...Windows 8.1"..." and not Windows Phone 8.1? I don't trust some center churning out canned responses honestly. Plus, there's these articles:

Sprint confirms Windows Phone 8.1 update for HTC 8XT and Samsung ATIV S Neo this summer | Windows Phone Central

And

HTC confirms 8X to get Windows Phone 8.1 | Windows Phone Central

Guess we'll find out soon!

Could be a simple mistake considering they're obviously not going to update their phones to Windows 8.1. But sure, we'll see. It probably is a pre-written respond (looks like one they sent me on another topic) but if their people are sending out wrong information, especially as bad as this one, then HTC has to rethink it's way of responding to customers.

TheBluesOne

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
If WP8.1 upgrade was not in their list, then DP shouldn't have been supported for 8X. This clearly indicates the update will be available. Since the reply was from customer service, what else can we expect.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
HTC is really screwing us over. No support for their apps, especially since 8.1 preview, now they're not planning to get us 8.1 final build (yes I know the preview is RTM) even though it's rolling out on every Lumia device right now...

I wish I could go back and get the Lumia 520 like I originally wanted. If anyone wants a Windows Phone, Nokia is the way to go!

I am a long time HTC user (also because being Taiwan based it comes a bit easier) on Android. Honestly, i'd never get on HTC for WP. They used to be snails in Android too and very arrogant and careless till the company almost failed. Only then they changed attitude. WP being a non key OS for them (despite what they declare) don't expect anything too good. Costs for development are high and the OS is not doing any well. They are on WP "just in case"...but they don't believe in the platform

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
MS can't even accommodate all Lumia users at this point. So. no surprise there. They have to prioritize their own. It's not totally HTC's fault.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I tweeted @HTCUSA on 7/15 - "Any word on WP 8.1 for the HTC 8XT?"

I know my 8XT isn't the 8X...but, the response I got back from them was:
"We plan to support WP 8.1; we'll have more info to share on updates to specific devices with our carrier partners in the future."

That doesn't sound like HTC abandoning us...I always take these canned responses with a grain of salt, but Sprint committed to updates for the 8XT in April, and HTC would have had to be on board with it for Sprint to make that announcement...even if the timing isn't as quickly as we'd like.

I don't think it takes much extrapolation to figure that the 8X is also in line to be upgraded.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
HTC confirmed that the 8x would be updated tp 8.1. I think the call center email support probably got it wrong. Wpc and their twitter response both confirmed the update, so I guess we have to wait and see.

Rod Iron

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I got a response like this from Samsung as well so I wouldn't worry about it. I really think none of these companies have any clue or at least they just don't want to tell the customers. I think Microsoft definitely has to take responsibility for some of this, how can they have info for the lumia folks but none for non lumia users?? And please don't say "it's nokia providing the info not MS" MS OWNS NOKIA LUMIA'S!

I contacted a MS store and they're saying end of August to early September for the update. Let's hope this is the case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss