HTC 8X Black Screen

elian440

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I've had my 8X since Jan. 2013 and never had any major issues. A few things when updates were made, but those got resolved and for most part it has been a really great phone. Been more than I've needed.

The other day it fell about 1' to the floor from a bed. The screen didn't crack, was on, but black. Then a few seconds later it went fully black as if powered off. Aside from that the phone is still fully functional. Alarms that were set went off, reminders from the calender, it rings when called, will turn off and on, but there is no image on the screen. The screen is still even responsive. I can swipe up on the lock screen and the unlock sound is heard (which means to me it still recognizes input). I tried both a soft and hard reset (at least to the best of my ability without seeing anything on the screen) and the problem still persists. I don't have insurance on it, so AT&T doesn't care. It is out of HTC warrenty, but they are more than willing to take my money to fix it (my guess is just send me a new one). They quoted me $190-$320 for the repair. You can pick one up for half that on ebay.

If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to try and revive it. I'm not due for an upgrade for 6 months, so I went with the cheap alternative of getting a prepaid Nokia 520 for $50 and dropped my SIM card in that.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, you could buy a broken 8X for parts (not a broken display of course) and try a DIY job, or employ a technically inclined friend or local shop to repair it.

elian440

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, when I get motivated I'm going to try to see about the DIY job. I have some friends with a little more knowledge than me in that area, so there will be some support. Maybe a replacement screen will do it. I would to be back on that instead of the 520. 520 isn't bad, but definitely lags on loading apps with half the memory available. Maybe a connection came loose or solder joint broke. At the worst, I break it more and still don't use it and keep going with the 520 ( which i just got the notice for the cyan update, so it at least has that going for it). Figured I'd at least check to see if anyone had run into the same issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster