i have HTC 8X for over a year now , i am still on 8.0
i have problem , aside from week mic
i can't connect to a 5Ghz network
but the spec on HTC 8X says it support 2.4 and 5Ghz
what should i do ?

DNHill

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Yes it should connect (mine does quite happily at home to my 5GHz network).

When you say it can't connect, do you mean that the network is there but you can't see it, or that you can see it and try to connect but it won't let you?

The former would be a potential hardware issue on your phone, whereas the latter is more likely to be a configuration issue (wrong password) or a router-end issue (MAC address filtering or suchlike without the phone's MAC address being allowed/whitelisted).

Also it's worth confirming that the 5GHz network is connectable via other devices, and that it doesn't share an SSID with another (2.4GHz) network as then only one of them (usually the 2.4GHz in my experience) will be listed on your devices in most general cases.

aos10

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Yes it should connect (mine does quite happily at home to my 5GHz network).

When you say it can't connect, do you mean that the network is there but you can't see it, or that you can see it and try to connect but it won't let you?

The former would be a potential hardware issue on your phone, whereas the latter is more likely to be a configuration issue (wrong password) or a router-end issue (MAC address filtering or suchlike without the phone's MAC address being allowed/whitelisted).

Also it's worth confirming that the 5GHz network is connectable via other devices, and that it doesn't share an SSID with another (2.4GHz) network as then only one of them (usually the 2.4GHz in my experience) will be listed on your devices in most general cases.

i can't see the network it self
i have cheap andriod tablet that can see the network

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
In my experience 5GHz wifi suffers from compatibility problems. I have a dual band 2.4 and 5GHz wifi router. My iPad connects to it and works perfectly. My Windows laptop will sometimes connect but drops out regularly and is not really usable. Another machine which works on other 5GHz networks doesn't even see it.

It may well be a compatibility problem between your router and your phone. You might be able to fix it by changing router settings, but that might break other things. Unless you really have a problem with 2.4GHz, I'd stick to that.

aos10

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
In my experience 5GHz wifi suffers from compatibility problems. I have a dual band 2.4 and 5GHz wifi router. My iPad connects to it and works perfectly. My Windows laptop will sometimes connect but drops out regularly and is not really usable. Another machine which works on other 5GHz networks doesn't even see it.

It may well be a compatibility problem between your router and your phone. You might be able to fix it by changing router settings, but that might break other things. Unless you really have a problem with 2.4GHz, I'd stick to that.

its 4G wifi modem from huawei
my laptop and my HTC 8X can't see it

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
its 4G wifi modem from huawei
my laptop and my HTC 8X can't see it

As I said, it sounds like some compatibility problem between your phone (and laptop) and the modem. Sadly this seems common with 5GHz wifi kit.

Do you have any problems using 2.4GHz wifi? If not, just stick to that. If using 5GHz wifi really matters to you, you can try altering the modem settings (if that's possible), but I can't advise on what to try.

aos10

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
As I said, it sounds like some compatibility problem between your phone (and laptop) and the modem. Sadly this seems common with 5GHz wifi kit.

Do you have any problems using 2.4GHz wifi? If not, just stick to that. If using 5GHz wifi really matters to you, you can try altering the modem settings (if that's possible), but I can't advise on what to try.
i don't have problem my self,my brother does
what bugs me it the old huawei tablet can see the network

what the advantage of 5Ghz anyway ?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
i don't have problem my self,my brother does
what bugs me it the old huawei tablet can see the network

what the advantage of 5Ghz anyway ?

Main advantages:
- Less congestion as fewer people use 5GHz (today).
- No congestion from Bluetooth, etc (most other wireless peripherals use 2.4GHz.
- No interference from microwave ovens.

Possible advantages or disadvantages:
- Signal doesn't travel as far. This means lower range, but also less interference from neighbours.

Disadvantages:
- Compatibility issues.

In short: if you can use 5GHz, it's probably worth doing so. If not, then don't worry about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos