Hello,

I've just registered for developer preview using App Studio option, downloaded Preview for Developers app, I've then signed with my Microsoft account and enabled preview for developers checkbox.

In the settings went into Phone update pressed the 'check for updates' button, Update Status is stuck at Checking for Updates... screen dims after I unlock it, update status shows 'Your phone is up to date. Last checked about 2 months ago.

Am I missing something? Does the sim card need to be in the phone before I can receive update?

HTC 8X from Rogers currently on Wondows phone 8 GDR3
    Sim Card is not installed in the phone
    2 gigs free space
    09-28-2014 01:21 AM
    Don't know why your SIM card isn't in try it with it in. If that doesn't work, is the email you used when registering as a developer the same as the one you used to setup your phone? Also cjeck and make sure in your preview app on the phone that it is inabled.
    09-28-2014 01:25 AM
    yes email used to to register the same one i used for phone setup. preview up is already set to enable preview for dev. gonna give it a try with a sim inside
    09-28-2014 01:27 AM
    same problem with the sim card inside .. stuck at checking for updates...
    09-28-2014 01:55 AM
    Hello,

I've just registered for developer preview using App Studio option, downloaded Preview for Developers app, I've then signed with my Microsoft account and enabled preview for developers checkbox.

In the settings went into Phone update pressed the 'check for updates' button, Update Status is stuck at Checking for Updates... screen dims after I unlock it, update status shows 'Your phone is up to date. Last checked about 2 months ago.

Am I missing something? Does the sim card need to be in the phone before I can receive update?

HTC 8X from Rogers currently on Wondows phone 8 GDR3
    Sim Card is not installed in the phone
    2 gigs free space
    Does the device still indicate that it last checked 2 months ago?
    09-28-2014 09:46 AM
    Yes you do need a functional sim card to receive updates.
    09-28-2014 10:00 AM
    same problem with the sim card inside .. stuck at checking for updates...
    its not stuck at check for updates. If it takes long that means there is an update available just leave your phone alone for a few minutes. If you don't see a change in 10mins then there is something wrong.
    09-28-2014 10:05 AM
    thanks all, i was able to update after performing a hard reset on the phone
    09-29-2014 07:24 AM
    Yes you do need a functional sim card to receive updates.
    I upgraded to the lumia 1520 from the htc 8x, and placed my old phone in a draw till I heard news of the 8.1 update release. However, the other day out of curiosity I registered my htc 8x with the developer preview program, and using wifi on the phone downloaded the developer preview app, all with out a sim card. Every thing went perfectly, and after an hour or two I had received all the ota updates from the developer preview to update my phone, which now has working cortana. So the answer here is, you CAN use your phone with out a sim card. I can browse & update, simply using wifi.
    Last edited by dozer167a; 10-01-2014 at 06:41 AM.
    10-01-2014 05:41 AM
    Oh, cool that it works without SIM. Nice find.

Are you liking your HTC now more with WP8.1 GDR1 ?
    10-04-2014 01:32 PM
    Oh, cool that it works without SIM. Nice find.

Are you liking your HTC now more with WP8.1 GDR1 ?
    I like being able to place files in folders on the home screen, and cortana's relatively fast searches. Find the extra row of tiles make things a little to small for my liking, so keeping it at 2 rows. To be completely honest, I'm more involved with my L1520, as it's my every day driver now, but I'm keen to see what else will come to the HTC 8X, plus my young grandson is eyeing it up, so more than likely I'll pass it on to him, so as to create a new windows phone recruit.
    10-05-2014 08:13 AM