Why do I get the error: 0x80188308 on HTC 8x?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Why do I get the error: 0x80188308 on HTC 8x

I have 6 GB of space free

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why do I get the error: 0x80188308 on HTC 8x

I have 6 GB of space free

When do you get this error?

To best help, I think we need to know more such as when this happens, what you are attempting to do when it happens, as well as where you are when it happens. Just a few questions to help figure the conditions that this shows up in.

Also that error message likely is cataloged by somewhere. Put it into Bing and see what comes up.

Michael Mozhaev

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site

When do you get this error?

To best help, I think we need to know more such as when this happens, what you are attempting to do when it happens, as well as where you are when it happens. Just a few questions to help figure the conditions that this shows up in.

Also that error message likely is cataloged by somewhere. Put it into Bing and see what comes up.

issue
-------------------
- update downloads fine
- 'Preparing to install' progress to 72%...pauses awhile...advances to 78% pauses...finally to 100%
- offers to 'install'.....select 'install'
- phone restarts...HTC....... gears....restart...HTC........Windows....lockscreen....
- Check Phone Updates....fails with error message 0x80188308...try again later
Multiple attempts fail
------------------------------------
Can't update phone
It's probably a temporary problem. Try again, go to Settings > Phone update (0x80188308)
-------------------------------------

-----------------------------
Sorry, but we are having trouble updating your phone. Please try again in a little while (80188308)
-----------------------------

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Here is a support thread from Microsoft Community forums with solution addressed for HTC phones.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-2635-4b56-9ace-013743c8ea13?tm=1434823203668

Basically the error results on HTC phones from lack of partition space(as opposed to user accessible storage space) to enable the installation of the update. Although the storage spaces are separate, they are linked somehow in System usage buffering or something. Anyway different people have used workarounds to allow installation....usually by creating additional user accessible space through deletion/removal of some/all of apps, Music, Videos or Pictures. (note: transfer to PC or OneDrive first for later re-install). A complete hard re-boot also creates space (but is time consuming and usually a last resort...again save any desired files to PC/OneDrive before hard re-boot).

The Microsoft Mod says the update has been re-issued as a 'hard stop' (stand alone) update, thus a smaller size, so it is more likely to install and not error out at this time.

Microsoft Community Mod Mike Mongeau's comment...
--------------------------------
The update you already have downloaded may stay on your phone for up to five days before it 'times out' and you can go and re-check for the update we are actively republishing. Performing a hard reset would also allow for this more immediately, of course, but many of you may choose to wait and see how it goes when your phone re-pulls the update after the 'time out' period.
----------------------------------

Note also that this 0x80188308 on HTC 8x is discussed in this thread as well...
http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-8x/362058-critical-update-windows.html

Hope this helps

DNHill

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site

On my 8X I had to do a full factory reset, after which the update went through fine.

Note that it's the system partition that doesn't have enough space, not the user partition (where your apps and documents/movies/music etc are saved). Doing the reset makes the phone do a spring-clean and (at least in my case) made enough space to accomodate the new update. But of course you then have to reinstall all your apps and set everything up again, although backing things up first mitigates some of that work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion