05-30-2016 07:46 AM
345 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    Check post #225 for the email.
    See Post #246. That's not the email I got.
    09-24-2015 07:27 PM
    See Post #246. That's not the email I got.
    There were two different emails a few days apart.
    09-24-2015 07:54 PM
    HOORAY! (maybe)
    I was just heading out the door and thought I'd check the forums, and then check to see if an update was available yet..
    htc8x_firmwareupdate_20150925.jpg

Download is 726.85MB and will take about 35mins it says...
    Hopefully I will have a working phone when i get back!
    09-25-2015 01:50 PM
    Wow! Welcome back old friend! This seems to have fixed My Verizon US HTC 8X. Thank you Gabe!
    Alex Jong likes this.
    09-25-2015 02:46 PM
    I did that but the WPRT downloaded the "russian" rom i used days ago to flash... so, i stood the same :/
    09-25-2015 03:42 PM
    I did that but the WPRT downloaded the "russian" rom i used days ago to flash... so, i stood the same :/
    How could you tell it's a Russian Rom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-25-2015 03:56 PM
    Because is has that "yandex.something" app and i get the same errors while trying to update...
    09-25-2015 04:03 PM
    Woohoo! HTC 8X is back up and running! (Windows 8.1 Update, same version as before).

The download was complete when I got home, but it had not automatically installed, I had to click "Install" or something in the recovery tool.

I was concerned because it said to make sure your battery was at least 25% charged otherwise flashing might fail and make phone unusable - I didn't think I'd been able to charge the phone sufficiently when it was bricked because either the red charging light wouldn't come on, or if drained sufficiently enough to get to it, it would automatically go into the gears reboot-loop after 20 minutes or so of charging and the light would go off.

As it turns out I was okay. I had previously put it into bootloader mode and connected to my computer via USB (no red light though), then after 24hrs, unplugged and shut the phone off by holding the camera key down for 5 secs (if it was still plugged in it would have rebooted).

When I discovered the update today, obviously I was plugged in. I was out for 1hr20, it took about 15 minutes to install, then about 15 minutes to recover my backup. When it finally rebooted, I saw my phone was at 46% charge.

Because I'd backed up the phone before the W10TP update, I was able to restore the backup and only had to enter some email passwords to get back to how the phone was. Well, actually, it seems all of the apps have to be re-downloaded (many tiles are dark, meaning its app is no longer installed). There's an extremely long list of "Pending" apps in the Downloads section of Store.

Thanks HTC, thanks Gabe. Not happy having had to wait a week and a half with an unusable phone, but I'm thankful the phone was recoverable, better late than never!
    Last edited by Daniel B1; 09-25-2015 at 04:20 PM.
    Alex Jong likes this.
    09-25-2015 04:04 PM
    Because is has that "yandex.something" app and i get the same errors while trying to update...
    Asked @GabeAul on twitter now if there is a way to get it back on right region.

Joao Silva2 likes this.
    09-25-2015 04:14 PM
    Asked @GabeAul on twitter now if there is a way to get it back on right region.

Thank you so much!
    09-25-2015 04:21 PM
    Worked for me too and rolled my Verizon 8X back to Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 (8.10.14203.306) with the Verizon aps. Wonderful news! Thank you, thank you Microsoft and Gabe.
    Last edited by Mike deTomaso; 09-26-2015 at 01:23 PM.
    09-25-2015 04:27 PM
    Back this sucker up, for safe keeping!
    htc8x_rom_location.jpg

As you can see, WPRT creates a directory that is specific to your HTC 8X's model # and (original) carrier.
    Mine is version PM233000 and the original carrier is Rogers.
    The Rogers splash screen still comes up on boot. I've always wish it didn't, as the phone is unlocked and I use Virgin Mobile!
    Last edited by Daniel B1; 09-25-2015 at 04:45 PM. Reason: image was fuzzy
    09-25-2015 04:38 PM
    Thank you so much!
    I still get the error with update too. Asked @GabeAul about that as well. Hope he has a solution.

The update was downloaded, but could not be opened.

Joao Silva2 likes this.
    09-25-2015 04:38 PM
    I still get the error with update too. Asked @GabeAul about that as well. Hope he has a solution.

The update was downloaded, but could not be opened.

That's because you probably stood on that russian rom aswell...

I ask if someone here has the european version (unlocked) that can share... i would be gratefull. Just to try something out...
    09-25-2015 04:41 PM
    That would be the best! If someone here could upload the European Rom files it would be the best!

Joao Silva2 likes this.
    09-25-2015 04:46 PM
    Looks like the whole SEA is downloading the Asia rom. I can't get pass 50kb -_-.. Hopefully this will work this time.. :)
    09-25-2015 09:32 PM
    Whee.. Finally managed to get back to Windows 8.1.. No random reboots, and the resolutions looks greaet
    09-25-2015 11:35 PM
    Whee.. Finally managed to get back to Windows 8.1.. No random reboots, and the resolutions looks greaet
    Yes! Never thought I'd be so glad to see 8.1 Update 2 again.

Discovered an interesting thing though. Because I bought a new Lumia 735 while I was waiting for the 8X fix, the 8X was no longer on the cell network and it would not let me log on to a Microsoft account across the WiFi network. As soon as it was put back on the cell network the account logon worked.

After this experience I'll stay in the Windows 10 Insider program (desktop) but I'm skipping the Insider for Windows Phone!
    09-26-2015 12:04 AM
    So I've got all my apps reinstalled on the freshly reinstalled WP8.1 Update. (except 1 "phantom" app that had no name & no info and would not install. I cancelled it to clear it).

Took a while to get Cortana working again - she's disabled by default in Canada as she's not yet available for "Language->English (Canada)".. we have to set "English (United States)" as first language, then download the US speech file, then reboot, then switch back to English (Canada) to get her to work.

Biggest concern: I've been experiencing frequent unexplained random reboots/shutdowns.
    At first I thought it was because of automatic reboot after background updates had completed but after all the updates were done it was still doing it. I thought maybe my battery was toast, as it was rebooting every 5 minutes (or less).. usually while browsing the web, unplugged. I charged it to 100%, then unplugged, and to my surprise it was still running 40 minutes later. I thought the issue was finally resolved! But then "goodbye" suddenly appeared again! Battery was still at 80% after reboot, so battery is OK, that's not it. Seems to be far less frequent now.

Will have to keep my eye on it. Please post if you're having similar issues after restoring 8.1 via the WPRT recovery file.

Call me stupid but I was curious to see what would happen if I re-registered the Windows Insider app on 'fast ring'. I did that, then checked for updates, and it downloaded a large update but the install failed, giving me a:
    The update was downloaded, but couldn't be opened (80188301)
    I wonder, is it trying to install WP10TP again?
    09-26-2015 12:13 AM
    So I've got all my apps reinstalled on the freshly reinstalled WP8.1 Update. (except 1 "phantom" app that had no name & no info and would not install. I cancelled it to clear it).

Took a while to get Cortana working again - she's disabled by default in Canada as she's not yet available for "Language->English (Canada)".. we have to set "English (United States)" as first language, then download the US speech file, then reboot, then switch back to English (Canada) to get her to work.

Biggest concern: I've been experiencing frequent unexplained random reboots/shutdowns.
    At first I thought it was because of automatic reboot after background updates had completed but after all the updates were done it was still doing it. I thought maybe my battery was toast, as it was rebooting every 5 minutes (or less).. usually while browsing the web, unplugged. I charged it to 100%, then unplugged, and to my surprise it was still running 40 minutes later. I thought the issue was finally resolved! But then "goodbye" suddenly appeared again! Battery was still at 80% after reboot, so battery is OK, that's not it. Seems to be far less frequent now.

Will have to keep my eye on it. Please post if you're having similar issues after restoring 8.1 via the WPRT recovery file.

Call me stupid but I was curious to see what would happen if I re-registered the Windows Insider app on 'fast ring'. I did that, then checked for updates, and it downloaded a large update but the install failed, giving me a:I wonder, is it trying to install WP10TP again?
    No reboots here yet and it has run quite a while getting everything setup and the aps downloaded. The file my Verizon phone used is 3030.0.52009.605.

Funny that you tried the Insider again! Not going to do that!
    Alex Jong likes this.
    09-26-2015 12:27 AM
    I have the same error (80188301) when attempting to go from Build 14203 to 14219 via Preview for Developers. Believe me, I'm not complaining, as I got the new firmware as of Feb 2015 via Verizon's update. Everything is smooth sailing.
    09-26-2015 12:43 AM
    One small silver cloud in this mess is that my phone was stuck on firmware 3030.0.41301.605 apparently because it was on Developer Preview 8.1 Update when Verizon sent out firmware 3030.0.52009.605. The rollback from Windows 10 installed 3030.0.52009.605 along with
    09-26-2015 01:16 PM
    It may be a crazy placebo effect, but I feel like 8.1.1 is more responsive with the new firmware as opposed to the old one I was stuck on for a while (41301).
    And actually, Mike, this is the silver lining I've been waiting for all year with this 10 preview debacle. The fact I would get the new firmware.
    Also, a previous poster mentioned they received 8.1 update 2 on Verizon with the WPRT restore. I just restored both of my 8xs on Verizon and I only got the 8.1 update 1 (latest Verizon update), not 2, for the record.
    09-26-2015 01:48 PM
    Sigh... doesn't work for my Rogers phone. Keeps saying failed. Wonder if it's my version which is PM2330002. To make matters worse, my phone can no longer be turned off, just keeps rebooting into bootloader mode. Now what to do?
    09-26-2015 02:26 PM
    It may be a crazy placebo effect, but I feel like 8.1.1 is more responsive with the new firmware as opposed to the old one I was stuck on for a while (41301).
    And actually, Mike, this is the silver lining I've been waiting for all year with this 10 preview debacle. The fact I would get the new firmware.
    Also, a previous poster mentioned they received 8.1 update 2 on Verizon with the WPRT restore. I just restored both of my 8xs on Verizon and I only got the 8.1 update 1 (latest Verizon update), not 2, for the record.
    The Update 2 comment might have been mine and I changed it earlier today to say Update 1 when I realized I'd made a typo. It is interesting how all this has turned out in the end.
    09-26-2015 02:52 PM
345 ... 910111213 ...