05-30-2016 07:46 AM
345 ... 1011121314
tools
    My phone seems to have got past its rebooting issue. I've had it unplugged for the last 3 hours, browsing the internet with WIFI on, and took a few photos, and its been rock solid, and the battery is still at 83% left.

Family Room on my restored 8.1 show no family members, and they now can't be re-added now (well, since June when the app stopped being supported by Microsoft), so it's useless. I used it for sharing calendar appointments/activities with family members. I'll miss it! Does anyone remember what the app was that Microsoft recommended using as a replacement?

Also, I wanted to share that I can now finally reach the hard-reset Exclamation mark screen - that I was unable to reach last week while stuck in gears reboot loop. So, it was the messed up WP10TP install that prevented it from being accessed. That's not good.. the whole point of it is to be available when something goes wrong!

Sigh... doesn't work for my Rogers phone. Keeps saying failed. Wonder if it's my version which is PM2330002. To make matters worse, my phone can no longer be turned off, just keeps rebooting into bootloader mode. Now what to do?
    As your phone keeps rebooting into bootloader mode, I wonder if one or both of your volume buttons is stuck?

One way to check is that when in bootloader mode, it will say press the camera button for 5 seconds to shut down - but if any other button is pressed, the countdown will get interrupted and it's go back to "5".

The only way I was able to shut down my phone when I was stuck in the gears reboot loop was by plugging in to the computer, going in bootloader mode, unplugging the USB, and then holding the camera button for 5 seconds to shut down. If I was plugged in, it would reboot. If I entered bootloader not plugged in, it would also reboot.

Also, with the "failed" message... I wonder if the file(s) downloaded successfully. See Post #262 - and check the PROGRAMDATA\HTC\PACKAGES\PRODUCTS directory to see if you've got a phone-specific subdirectory with .NBH files in it. If so, I believe you can save time reattempting the reinstall in WPRT by clicking the dots in the bottom right of the window, going into Settings and then changing the Packages location (toggle, then Browse).
    09-26-2015 03:17 PM
    Fixed it... hooked it up to my laptop and it installed fine. Seems like it didn't like the USB 3 ports on my desktop.
    09-26-2015 03:36 PM
    Family Room on my restored 8.1 show no family members, and they now can't be re-added now (well, since June when the app stopped being supported by Microsoft), so it's useless. I used it for sharing calendar appointments/activities with family members. I'll miss it! Does anyone remember what the app was that Microsoft recommended using as a replacement?
    Answering my own question, it was "GroupMe": http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=VWhvvnzt
    09-26-2015 03:55 PM
    One nice bonus, I can now set Cortana to US so hello beta and goodbye alpha.
    09-26-2015 04:37 PM
    Back this sucker up, for safe keeping!
    Attachment 112932

As you can see, WPRT creates a directory that is specific to your HTC 8X's model # and (original) carrier.
    Mine is version PM233000 and the original carrier is Rogers.
    The Rogers splash screen still comes up on boot. I've always wish it didn't, as the phone is unlocked and I use Virgin Mobile!
    Any of the PM23200 was restored with wprt?????
    09-26-2015 07:31 PM
    No dice with my AT&T 8X, no software package available.
    09-26-2015 07:56 PM
    Ok. Love the fact is back to normal. No issues so far. Not sure is it me or maybe because on the wp10 battery drain faster. But I noticed on standby mode it's seems to last longer
    09-26-2015 08:48 PM
    I posted a question on the Microsoft Insider forum about the update error 80188301 that I'm getting when I check for updates while enrolled in the Insider program (again) on 8.1. link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...6-d45c1ffb9d59

Apparently the WP10TP update is getting downloaded but can't be installed, causing the error. I asked for confirmation that the update should really be blocked (from being found/downloaded), like it was originally meant to be.

A thought just occurred to me: some HTC 8X users now have WP10TP on their phones, because of the 'accident'. Will they continue to get Insider updates, or are they stuck on whatever version they're running until Microsoft decides to officially add the HTC 8X to the list of supported phones?
    09-28-2015 09:51 AM
    I posted a question on the Microsoft Insider forum about the update error 80188301 that I'm getting when I check for updates while enrolled in the Insider program (again) on 8.1. link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...6-d45c1ffb9d59

Apparently the WP10TP update is getting downloaded but can't be installed, causing the error. I asked for confirmation that the update should really be blocked (from being found/downloaded), like it was originally meant to be.

A thought just occurred to me: some HTC 8X users now have WP10TP on their phones, because of the 'accident'. Will they continue to get Insider updates, or are they stuck on whatever version they're running until Microsoft decides to officially add the HTC 8X to the list of supported phones?
    I've been a Windows 10 PC Insider from the beginning and I think Microsoft was very smart to have six million of us testing and giving input. Because of the Insider Program I believe Windows 10 was the most tested new OS release in computing history.

During the many months of loading new builds and testing I had a couple of times that the update would not complete correctly and I had to recover the PC using an ISO. That is OK on a PC, but as we have all experienced the Windows Phone can be very problematic when the update goes wrong and turns the phone into a vegetable. I'd like to help Microsoft with Windows Phone too, but it looks like the risk is pretty high.
    Last edited by Mike deTomaso; 09-28-2015 at 11:57 AM.
    09-28-2015 10:44 AM
  10. Pradeep Kumar Reddy Vellampati's Avatar
    Hi,

Could you please update the HTC 8X ROM to OneDrive so that we can use it to recover our phones.

Regards
    Pradeep
    09-28-2015 11:20 AM
  11. Pradeep Kumar Reddy Vellampati's Avatar
    Back this sucker up, for safe keeping!
    Attachment 112932

As you can see, WPRT creates a directory that is specific to your HTC 8X's model # and (original) carrier.
    Mine is version PM233000 and the original carrier is Rogers.
    The Rogers splash screen still comes up on boot. I've always wish it didn't, as the phone is unlocked and I use Virgin Mobile!
    Hi,

Could you please update the HTC 8X ROM to OneDrive so that we can use it to recover our phones.

Regards
    Pradeep
    09-28-2015 11:22 AM
    FYI: WPRT from now on is WDRT.
    wdrt.png
    wprt_to_wdrt.png

That won't work for 2 reasons:
    1) the Recovery Files that downloaded for my phone the other day appear to be carrier/model specific (which will vary by region, obviously) - see the screenshot I posted a few days ago of the file folder. Consider that Microsoft made a file available to my phone that it did not make available to yours - surely for a good reason.
    2) I had assumed the Recovery File(s) could be loaded in WPRT/WDRT by toggling the Settings->Packages->Use custom Paths->Browse option. When I have internet connected, it searches the server, and finds the recovery file. So to test the custom path setting I disconnected from the internet and tried it. However, WDRT reports an internet connection error and stops, with "try again" and "exit" options; it does not make use my preset local package. I don't know if that's a bug in the new WDRT, but WPRT informed me it would not run until upgraded to WDRT, so it should be the same for everyone.
    09-28-2015 01:32 PM
    I almost think we're getting that update error because I think Microsoft is blocking all updates for 8x on insider and preview for developers, since I cannot use the latter to get to build 14219
    09-28-2015 02:02 PM
    Try the brand new recovery tool, it worked for my HTC 8XT.
    09-28-2015 03:51 PM
    I just wish i could get back to my unbranded original rom. Now I'm stuck with that russian one and WPRT don't recognize any other...
    09-28-2015 06:42 PM
    Joao, if I was you, I'd go to the Windows Insider forum and start a new thread titled something like "Still no HTC 8X WP8.1 recovery file for... (see inside)", and then in the post put your:
    - HTC 8X model number (found in small print on the back of the phone near the speaker)
    - original carrier
    - country

It seems there are quite a few people like yourself who aren't finding a 8.1 recovery file available. The more people posting in one thread the details of what is still needed, the more likely Microsoft will be able to help.

Don't forget, update WPRT to WDRT and check the server again before posting!
    Joao Silva2 likes this.
    09-28-2015 07:13 PM
    I just wish i could get back to my unbranded original rom. Now I'm stuck with that russian one and WPRT don't recognize any other...
    What is the name of the file downloaded with the recovery tool?

I checked mine and I should be the correct one ending on 401 but still looks like the Russian Rom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-29-2015 03:30 AM
    What is the name of the file downloaded with the recovery tool?

I checked mine and I should be the correct one ending on 401 but still looks like the Russian Rom.
    Here it says that the software available at Microsoft servers is version 3030.0.52001.401
    Don't know what that means but I get that russian rom with yandex.search app and update error when i try to recover my phone. My 8x is na unbranded one from UK.
    09-29-2015 04:46 AM
    Here it says that the software available at Microsoft servers is version 3030.0.52001.401
    Don't know what that means but I get that russian rom with yandex.search app and update error when i try to recover my phone. My 8x is na unbranded one from UK.
    I think this tweet from Gabe Aul should give you an answer.

"@Pivotgeeks There are a number of specific 8X recovery images. We have most posted now but some are still coming in."

You should follow him, he is an interesting guy XD
    Joao Silva2 and nokiabolt like this.
    09-29-2015 10:27 AM
    I think this tweet from Gabe Aul should give you an answer.

"@Pivotgeeks There are a number of specific 8X recovery images. We have most posted now but some are still coming in."

You should follow him, he is an interesting guy XD
    The problem is that when I flashed my phone with that russian rom, it may changed some region or parameter and now the WPRT detects my phone as a russian one (or as having a russian rom) and trys to reflash the same rom that there is installed. It's not a "we don't have your rom yet" problem but a "we detect your rom is russian so we'll reflash it with that one" problem.

This is what i think...
    Grimmush likes this.
    09-29-2015 11:05 AM
    The problem is that when I flashed my phone with that russian rom, it may changed some region or parameter and now the WPRT detects my phone as a russian one (or as having a russian rom) and trys to reflash the same rom that there is installed. It's not a "we don't have your rom yet" problem but a "we detect your rom is russian so we'll reflash it with that one" problem.

This is what i think...
    That's not the problem Microsoft cares to fix. You did that to yourself. The only solution for you is to find a native ROM for your phone and flash it manually.

I have AT&T HTC-8X and there is no recovery image yet last time I checked it this morning.
    nokiabolt likes this.
    09-29-2015 01:07 PM
    Does anyone here have the European unlocked Rom they could upload?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Joao Silva2 and Grimmush like this.
    09-29-2015 01:22 PM
    That's not the problem Microsoft cares to fix. You did that to yourself. The only solution for you is to find a native ROM for your phone and flash it manually.

I have AT&T HTC-8X and there is no recovery image yet last time I checked it this morning.
    Yes, I did it. And I did it because I bought a phone I need and Microsoft made a mistake that put it unusable. I needed my phone asap and i did what microsoft toke days or even weeks to do. :)

There is no way known to flash it manualy to an European unbranded rom... no way I know and no ROM I know at least...
    920Walker and Grimmush like this.
    09-29-2015 04:33 PM
    Yes, I did it. And I did it because I bought a phone I need and Microsoft made a mistake that put it unusable. I needed my phone asap and i did what microsoft toke days or even weeks to do. :)

There is no way known to flash it manualy to an European unbranded rom... no way I know and no ROM I know at least...
    Wait for a few days. It doesn't matters if you have flashed with a custom rom. Wait for some time. Even My phone is still not on the list. What is yours model number??? Mine is PM23200
    09-30-2015 03:45 AM
    Wait for a few days. It doesn't matters if you have flashed with a custom rom. Wait for some time. Even My phone is still not on the list. What is yours model number??? Mine is PM23200
    Mine is PM2320001 P S WP8 I. Don't know exactly what this means...
    09-30-2015 04:24 AM
345 ... 1011121314