HTC 8x won't get Windows 10. [Speculative]

svaethier

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Once again for those who downloaded this update on your 8x Gabe advises you reflash your device as it is still unsupported for win10m.

Grimmush

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
After trying to test groove music player and the new edge browser, I've noticed that both music and video play back does not work. Have not tested video playback from the phone -- which someone else already tested and confirmed it doesn't work properly -- only browser streaming.
Also the phone started reseting itself at random points.

What a mess. :angry:

paulove

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
After trying to test groove music player and the new edge browser, I've noticed that both music and video play back does not work. Have not tested video playback from the phone -- which someone else already tested and confirmed it doesn't work properly -- only browser streaming.
Also the phone started reseting itself at random points.

What a mess. :angry:

Music playback works for me, if I turn of Video on metro tube, audio plays with no issues. I have seen very slow video too a couple of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone found any solution ?
Rebooting every 3-4 minutes and cannot revert to 8.1

On Microsoft forums, many have fixed rebooting issue with doing a hard reset after update (settings> about> reset phone). So I would suggest you that cuz you got nothing to lose.

Peter McNeill1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Try doing a second hard reset. I did and it gave me the option to restore a backup or continue... I restored my backup. Still on WP 10 but it no longer reboots all the time "knock on wood". Screen is still tiny though but setting font size in ease of access to large as possible makes some stuff readable.

Savvas Y

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Try doing a second hard reset. I did and it gave me the option to restore a backup or continue... I restored my backup. Still on WP 10 but it no longer reboots all the time "knock on wood". Screen is still tiny though but setting font size in ease of access to large as possible makes some stuff readable.

So you did 2 hard resets? First one without restore and 2nd one with restore?

Have you tried to update your apps?

HTC_8X_User

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Mine was working fine until I tried a screen capture. It rebooted during the capture and now it keeps rebooting about every 5 min. What a mess. Think of all the users that have not noticed or ignored the build and and how surprised they will be on the 18th when the build tries to install!

Peter McNeill1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
It's back to rebooting now and then when I try to open or do something. sighs. MS you owe me a new phone since it said an update was ready but never said what the update was and now I'm stuck like everyone else with a broken 8x

Daniel B1

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I got the update message last night, and silly me didn't check here first, just chose "Restart" or whatever the option was.
Install looked to be going ok but then got stuck in the gear cycle, and this morning it was still rebooting every minute or so. Phone was plugged in but there was no red charging light.

Could not power off the phone completely, no matter how long I tried holding down Power.
Was able to get to the barcode screen, but even power down by holding the camera button would trigger a reboot.
Eventually figured out how to get to the Lightning bolt/Gear combo screen (VOL+ on reboot) but that didn't help.

Installed the Windows Phone Recovery Tool but that didn't help - when I did a manual detect, it found the phone but there is no software on the server for it to find and install.

I went to WindowsPhone.com and tried to Ring My Phone but it can't be found right now, so I'm guessing it also won't be able to do a remote factory reset. To be honest I don't want to try as I don't really want to wipe my phone.

Guessing that my battery level was not sufficient to complete the install, I tried draining the battery because as I said before it would not charge. Found that holding VOL- made it reboot vibrate reboot loop, so I put a rubber band around the phone and let the battery drain. Eventually the screen turned off, phone was dead! Yay!

Plugged it back in and got the red charge light on finally(!) and got the battery icon on the screen, but after a few minutes the phone rebooted and went into the original gears loop.

After 30 minutes or so I put the phone back into Lightning Bolt mode. Red light shows it's charging, so that's progress over earlier this morning.

If it doesn't work after it's fully charged then..... ????

Last edited:

HTC_8X_User

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
It's back to rebooting now and then when I try to open or do something. sighs. MS you owe me a new phone since it said an update was ready but never said what the update was and now I'm stuck like everyone else with a broken 8x

It seems like the only fix path Microsoft would have is to have the 8.1 files for the 8X so that we could use the Windows Phone Recovery Tool. But even with that I think the 8X files might be different depending on the carrier. Needless to say they were not ready to test Windows 10 on the 8X and it would most likely take a long time to solve that.

I'm sure there are some Microsoft folks in Redmond trying their best to figure out how to fix all the phones they killed, but I don't think there will be a easy solution.

vangara

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
That's not true, I am registered for insider previews on fast ring and today my HTC 8x prompted me to install Windows 10 Technical preview, I am installing right now, it's running for the past 90 mins...!

Savvas Y

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
That's not true, I am registered for insider previews on fast ring and today my HTC 8x prompted me to install Windows 10 Technical preview, I am installing right now, it's running for the past 90 mins...!

Soon you will be another angry and frustrated owner of an HTC 8x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05