HTC 8x won't get Windows 10. [Speculative]

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Screenshot (2).png

Today I have ran multiple HTC live sessions with one question.
*Is HTC 8X going to get Windows 10 update when it becomes available?*

Every session I participated ended almost same way as this one. None of the HTC agents hasn't confirmed it will get Windows 10 update. I have also tweeted Gabe Aul several times but he didn't respond anything.

So guys, I think this is it. We will stuck on 8.1 and going no further.
Prepare your wallets for a new phone.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
It wasn't much supported from the beginning. Personally I am surprised it made it to WP8.1.
T-Mobile abandoned it right from the outset here in the USA.
Sorry that you have to look for a new device.

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Well we had a Preview for Developers app so we could update to 8.1 anyway. Maybe will Microsoft do the same with Windows Insider program and we get Windows 10 update. I mean, Microsoft said that every current phone will be updated to Windows 10...if we can believe them?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
HTC is the biggest surprise to me. I think they should be the size they are and pump out good quality phones. They build a good product. They built my first Windows phone when I was on Sprint and it boots up and is as solid as it was the day I got it and I'm its second owner.
You'd think that a FREE OS like android would make life easier for HTC but maybe not.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
HTC is the biggest surprise to me. I think they should be the size they are and pump out good quality phones. They build a good product. They built my first Windows phone when I was on Sprint and it boots up and is as solid as it was the day I got it and I'm its second owner.
You'd think that a FREE OS like android would make life easier for HTC but maybe not.

Yea, the VERIZON version of the HTC 8X was my first Windows Phone 8 device (I had the Trophy before that). It was a nice phone for it's day.

If the phone WONT be upgraded to the final RTM from the OEM/Carrier, then you can live with the Dev preview once it gets to RTM status. Is the HTC 8X on the list for W10m preview ? If not, go over to XDA, there is some mods that will allow you to take the preview on a unsupported phone.

At least that is an option...

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Yea, the VERIZON version of the HTC 8X was my first Windows Phone 8 device (I had the Trophy before that). It was a nice phone for it's day.

If the phone WONT be upgraded to the final RTM from the OEM/Carrier, then you can live with the Dev preview once it gets to RTM status. Is the HTC 8X on the list for W10m preview ? If not, go over to XDA, there is some mods that will allow you to take the preview on a unsupported phone.

At least that is an option...

I really hope you're right about dev preview. I could live with that. It would be shame that this device not get Windows 10 and some weaker phones like 520 gets it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I really hope you're right about dev preview. I could live with that. It would be shame that this device not get Windows 10 and some weaker phones like 520 gets it.

On some other side to it, the 8X is one of the original Windows 8 devices, the 520 is lower end but, it's a newer 8.1 model....This would be WHY it would be getting it.

If the 8X is not on the list of Preview models, then spend some time over at XDA in the hacking area, I know there is method to install on other phones. I don't need it because my phone is a supported model (in the first batch it was not), so I don't know all the details about it... Just make sure you can restore back to 8.1 if there is a bug...

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
On some other side to it, the 8X is one of the original Windows 8 devices, the 520 is lower end but, it's a newer 8.1 model....This would be WHY it would be getting it.

Lumia 520 IS ORIGINALLY released as Windows Phone 8 device, same as HTC 8X only couple of months later.

If it won't get Windows 10 even though preview for developers program, I'll take your advice and see what I can find on XDA forums. Thanks.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Lumia 520 IS ORIGINALLY released as Windows Phone 8 device, same as HTC 8X only couple of months later.

If it won't get Windows 10 even though preview for developers program, I'll take your advice and see what I can find on XDA forums. Thanks.

No problem and good luck ! Post to this thread if you find any news or update as I am sure others could use it too...

Grimmush

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Well what a load of bull**** from HTC! Didn't they say back in June that support for Windows 10 preview is coming soon, for the 8X?!

This, other phones being cut off from the upgrade, a 6 month old phone being declared EOL by Microsoft, **** poor podcast and music app after all this time, the Windows mobile ecosystem constantly being ignored by the majority of developers, fragmentation on the app store and inside the OS between the Lumia phones and other manufacturers devices... screw this, I can't wait to switch to iPhone.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The phone is almost 3 years old and HTC all but abandoned WP, what do you really expect?

Clearly HTC needs to tweak for firmware to support the OS or it would work right now. Don't just blame Microsoft, HTC is just as accountable. Maybe more, in this case...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
The thing I don't understand is why is 8X pulled from Windows 10 preview build? We all remember that when first build appeared, HTC 8X was on list of supported phones. There were like 5 Lumia devices and HTC 8X for first build and then its removed from list. Why?

paulove

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
HTC is full of nonsense. I don't believe anything HTC support says. I have had a couple of cases with them. And never got any good info. They really have no idea of what really is going on. So until Microsoft say no 10 I will be waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Actually, WP is cheaper than "free" Lagdroid because MS owns a hella lot of patents. I don't get it either. SMH

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
HTC is a joke of a company, I gave up on them years ago due to little or no support for their products after you buy them....I love that the company is almost out of business...they didn't listen to their customers and continue to do things their own way and now they are like BlackBerry.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb