HTC 8x won't get Windows 10. [Speculative]

HTC_8X_User

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Kind of funny in a way that we are now stuck with an apparently working installation of Windows 10 on phones not approved yet by Microsoft and Microsoft put it there! We will not be able to go forward unless Microsoft eventually includes the 8X in the production Windows 10 release and we cannot go back to 8.1 because the 8X Windows Recovery Tool does not work.

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Here are some of the images.. Despite the small text.. But when running other apps, the text seems to be fine..

View attachment 112162
View attachment 112163
View attachment 112164
View attachment 112165
View attachment 112166
View attachment 112167
View attachment 112168

Thanks man, it looks like you're running Windows 10 on some tablet XD looks great, hope it performs great also. I believe settings shouldn't look like that but that's scaling issue you're experiencing.

Is Beats audio missing?

Alex Jong

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Yup.. Seems like it. Reinstalling Windows Insider, hopefully will get a fix for that.. Looks like MS have no choice but to support the 8X now XD

Beats still here ^_^
wp_ss_20150915_0008.png
wp_ss_20150915_0009.png

michielbrinkers

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
What an interesting conundrum! Other than the tiny elements and text it seems to be working.

Performing a factory reset using phone buttons seems to reset it to Windows 10

1. Turn the power off.
2. Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then briefly press the POWER button. Release the VOLUME DOWN button when you see an icon on the screen.
3. Then press the following hardware buttons in sequence: VOLUME UP > VOLUME DOWN > POWER > VOLUME DOWN.

The icon you mention, is that the HTC logo or is it after that?

Grimmush

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Woke up to see my HTC 8x installing some major update and having it rebooting every 5 min or so. I later noticed it was Win10, and came here to confirm my suspicions; Microsoft released a broken update for unsuported devices. HOW THE **** DOES THAT HAPPEN?!?! Tried going back to Win8.1 (factory reset guide)but it doesn't work, it reinstaled Win10, fortunately after a clean restore it not unstable anymore and seems to work fine for now, but the UI scaling is all kinds of ****ed up. :angry:
Microsoft needs to fix this ASAP! I strongly doubt they will though... :eck:

michielbrinkers

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
I can't figure out how to reset my phone. I've tried the WP Recovery Tool 2.1.2, but it won't pick up my phone and when I follow the instructions for that, I just get a white screen with green letters and nothing happens.

Can anyone give me a clue?

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Here are some of the images.. Despite the small text.. But when running other apps, the text seems to be fine..

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks like graphic drivers problem

paulove

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have found one big issue, video playback does not work, and ends in hard reboot. That points to the graphic driver issue FearL0rd mentioned.
I also did a reset to setup phone as new and not restore anything. But random reboots are still a thing.

I hope not many people that have this as only device got this update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmucodemonkey

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
HTC is the biggest surprise to me. I think they should be the size they are and pump out good quality phones. They build a good product. They built my first Windows phone when I was on Sprint and it boots up and is as solid as it was the day I got it and I'm its second owner.
You'd think that a FREE OS like android would make life easier for HTC but maybe not.

My first two Windows Phones were HTC (8X and One M8), but it seems like windows phone users got second class treatment from their customer support. I had overheating issues with my M8 and finally gave up on HTC. I'm now using a Lumia 735 and loving it. It just seems like Microsoft is more interested in supporting their product than HTC was.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My first two Windows Phones were HTC (8X and One M8), but it seems like windows phone users got second class treatment from their customer support. I had overheating issues with my M8 and finally gave up on HTC. I'm now using a Lumia 735 and loving it. It just seems like Microsoft is more interested in supporting their product than HTC was.
No problems like that for me...knock wood. Glad you landed somewhere nice just the same.

Alex Jong

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
I have found one big issue, video playback does not work, and ends in hard reboot. That points to the graphic driver issue FearL0rd mentioned.
I also did a reset to setup phone as new and not restore anything. But random reboots are still a thing.

I hope not many people that have this as only device got this update.

I went and accidentally restarted my phone. From there the random reboot came back again. Tried doing the factory reset no longer works, as it tends to reboot each time i tried to set up the phone. Currently stuck at finish installing the apps -_-"

sabotage

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I have pending the wp10 update its downloaded and ready to install.i don't want to install at this point, and unsubscribed from the insider program. How can I remove the update? It's telling me it will force the install on the 18th.

Grimmush

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Afaik, restore to factory is one way, not sure if there is another avoiding a complete restore.

Are people tweeting @GabeAul?

Right now I don't use twitter and thus do not have a twitter account, but if there is no reply from either Microsoft or HTC regarding this issue, in the next 24hrs, I will make one and engage them.
This should be something covered by the WC team, with the support of the users affected by this issue, they might have more luck in getting a quick reply.

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I have pending the wp10 update its downloaded and ready to install.i don't want to install at this point, and unsubscribed from the insider program. How can I remove the update? It's telling me it will force the install on the 18th.

I'm in the same situation. I have tweeted Gabe several times and hope he will respond.
If they don't provide us solution to fix this very soon, we should go to Settings> About> Reset phone before 18th of September. It will delete downloaded Windows 10 files and we will stay safe on 8.1 although we will lose our data after doing reset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077