HTC 8x won't get Windows 10. [Speculative]

Daniel B1

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I did an online chat with HTC tech support and they initially said phone would have to be sent in for repair. Then when they checked they saw "End of Life" and said it's not supported so no can do.

I said Microsoft admits that this screwup was their fault but until they get the Recovery File from HTC, it means our phones cannot be recovered. So unless HTC acts immediately and makes an exception to their EOL policy and helps us out, this will almost certainly be the last HTC device any of us affected users ever buy. I requested the matter get escalation. I was asked to wait, and then told that it has been escalated.

I'm sure they were already aware of it, but the more requests/complaints they get the more they're likely to do something!

husze

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
My phone downloaded the update. Right before I was going to hit install, I got a notification from windows central saying not to install. So I didn't install it, but now my phone will automatically install the 18th! I really don't want to do a reset on my phone again

I've been in same situation, and I have done hard reset thru settings-about, but not before I've made backup, and not going to install insider app at all.
Currently it is up and running with 8.1 update 1, restored almost everything from the backup from one drive, no pending 10.

For those of you already updated head over XDA forum to help re flash:
forum xda-developers com/htc-8x

Ivaylo Badinov

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
HTC won't last much longer, they will follow Nokia very soon, so better choose other company. I have 8x myself and a Nokia L930, both are the last WP flagships from these companies. Feels like I alway bet on the lame horse.

samtronX

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Same Here Last Time i tried updating my primary phone 930 and it went in a reboot loop, I had to use WPRT to recover it. And yesterday my secondary phone 8X is locked for over 16 Hrs Now. I can't even hard reset it because it restarts the moment i try to enter the sequence vol up -- vol dwn -- power -- vol down. is there any other way to Hard Reset. And the most annoying part is that the alarm works really well even though the phone is locked out. If i keep the phone on then every 5 minutes the alarm goes off and i have to dismiss but it acts as snooze

WP_20150916_10_48_51_Pro.jpg

samtronX

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi Everyone I am at work right now so can't try this
http: //answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/htc-8x-windows-10-insider-problems/59f280f8-9e57-478a-b148-912dbc6cb566?auth=1

please try if you are able to revert back to 8.1. It seems some phones are able to revert back

Grimmush

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Twitted his yesterday, but no answer.

@GabeAul Any news on a fix for HTC 8x phones that got the update yesterday? The update makes all 8x phones to keep rebooting every 5 min...

Will tweet him again, I encourage everyone to do the same.

YeahRrright

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
8x was my first WP. I DITCHED it within a year for Lumia 1520, but turns out 1520 is also not on the official w10m upate list. Sure its opened for insiders, but that's not good enough.

Shishioh

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks for everybody posting suggestions here. I tried everything from flashing (thanks HTC) to the hard reset, which just installed 10 "cleaner" from the horrid mess it was the 1st time where it was stuck on the "migrating data" screen, the tiles were all messed up, etc. I am now in the 5 min reboot category with a "working" windows 10.

I've also tweeted Gabe as well as WinSupport to try and get somewhere and will keep tabs if I get any form of a good response.

Alex Jong

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Ok guys... Just found out another method before getting into an endless boot sequence issue.. I realized that if your phone reboots halfway during the restoration part, then you'll get stuck in the 5 mins reboot category. What I can suggest, try and do this.

1. Do a hard reset by going into Settings --> System -- About --> reset phone
2. After complete reset has done. Carry on with your configuration, and make sure you don't
a) change your region
b) don't add wifi network
c) Skip the account creation

This has been the fastest way to get pass the recovery process. Once you get pass that without any reboot, then you should be fine. Then start adding your account and wifi next. So far phone has been ok till now.. Hopefully I won't need to restart it again.

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

Yesterday I was checking for an update and my HTC 8X found an update and it was "Windows 10". It took almost a day to complete the installation and after installation it is constantly in reboot loop. I found quite a list of issues
1. Constantly rebooting
2. Camera not working
3. Fonts and Icons are very very small

After a long wait I got an update and my phone is not working normally.

If anyone got the same problem and if you are able to resolve it, please let me know.

wp_ss_20150916_0001[1].pngwp_ss_20150916_0002[1].pngwp_ss_20150916_0003[1].png

Joao Silva2

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Ok guys... Just found out another method before getting into an endless boot sequence issue.. I realized that if your phone reboots halfway during the restoration part, then you'll get stuck in the 5 mins reboot category. What I can suggest, try and do this.

1. Do a hard reset by going into Settings --> System -- About --> reset phone

When I click "about" the phone don't do anything. Besides, I have two "Settings" apps... the old and the new one. The new one does nothing... the old one I can open wifi settings (but cannot switch wi-fi on) and search for updates... but nothing else!

Shishioh

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I had that same problem. I ended up doing the hard reset, which seemed to install a cleaner version of 10 that got rid of all the duplicate programs.

paulove

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Contacted HTC support today, they only support hw not software. Then I contacted MS, and they said "Told you so" I am in fault for installing TP to NY 8X even if the issue is with MS and a bug in the update. So we are basically screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savvas Y

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
I had a different installation today and so far the phone works without reboots for the last 40 mins or so.
I also managed to change region, setup wifi and setup my accounts without any reboots.
The only difference is that the restore failed today (it didn't fail yesterday) although all my apps are back and also I have the sim card removed.

I am afraid as soon as I reboot the phone once then it will begin doing the loop again. As soon as i get all the updates from the store then I will try the reboot of terror.

I will let you know the results

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos