HTC 8x won't get Windows 10. [Speculative]

Grimmush

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Ok guys... Just found out another method before getting into an endless boot sequence issue.. I realized that if your phone reboots halfway during the restoration part, then you'll get stuck in the 5 mins reboot category. What I can suggest, try and do this.

1. Do a hard reset by going into Settings --> System -- About --> reset phone
2. After complete reset has done. Carry on with your configuration, and make sure you don't
a) change your region
b) don't add wifi network
c) Skip the account creation

This has been the fastest way to get pass the recovery process. Once you get pass that without any reboot, then you should be fine. Then start adding your account and wifi next. So far phone has been ok till now.. Hopefully I won't need to restart it again.

How long have you been running since the restoration point without random reboots?

I had a different installation today and so far the phone works without reboots for the last 40 mins or so.
I also managed to change region, setup wifi and setup my accounts without any reboots.
The only difference is that the restore failed today (it didn't fail yesterday) although all my apps are back and also I have the sim card removed.

I am afraid as soon as I reboot the phone once then it will begin doing the loop again. As soon as i get all the updates from the store then I will try the reboot of terror.

I will let you know the results

40 mins is nothing. It usually takes 2-3 hrs until the reboots start acting up.

Contacted HTC support today, they only support hw not software. Then I contacted MS, and they said "Told you so" I am in fault for installing TP to NY 8X even if the issue is with MS and a bug in the update. So we are basically screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No surprise there. To be fair, even though HTC can be at fault for a lot of resons regarding support for their products, this isn't HTC's fault. It's Microsoft and their incompetent devs with their (brain) detectoids. However the fact that their backpedaling and reversing the blame on the users for trusting their TP program is absolutely disgusting. They admited that it was an error on their behalf and warned (a little too late) users not to install the build on devices not officially enrolled in the TP, if prompted for an update.

Again Microsoft has a track record of **** poor developers and just as **** poor support -- especially regarding non-lumia devices. This made a WP supported like myself (since WP8) to revolve 360 degrees and dismiss the WP ecosystem to everyone who asked me about it, for the last year and I'm glad I did and will continue to do so.
Needless to say this experience will emphasis my disgust with the WP ecosystem even more.

God,I CAN NOT WAIT to ditch this WP joke in the coming weeks! iOS I'm coming back!

Last edited:

peterfares

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
I dug up an old HTC 8X when I saw it had the update but before reading it wasn't working for most people. I freshly reset the phone then installed insider preview and upgraded to 10. I got the 5 minute reboots but then I reset it from WM10 and it no longer does the 5 minute reboots. Seems to be working fine in the 30 minutes I played with it. I did not restore any backups.

Shishioh

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I dug up an old HTC 8X when I saw it had the update but before reading it wasn't working for most people. I freshly reset the phone then installed insider preview and upgraded to 10. I got the 5 minute reboots but then I reset it from WM10 and it no longer does the 5 minute reboots. Seems to be working fine in the 30 minutes I played with it. I did not restore any backups.

What do you mean you reset it from Windows 10? I did a hard reset and it kept 10

Joao Silva2

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I had that same problem. I ended up doing the hard reset, which seemed to install a cleaner version of 10 that got rid of all the duplicate programs.

I tried that too... but doing the volume up, volume down, power, volume down buttons sequence didn't work. When I click the power button the phone restarts immediately... I'm really angry about this.

Joao Silva2

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I had that same problem. I ended up doing the hard reset, which seemed to install a cleaner version of 10 that got rid of all the duplicate programs.

I tried that too... but doing the volume up, volume down, power, volume down buttons sequence didn't work. When I click the power button the phone restarts immediately... I'm really angry about this.

Shishioh

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site

That sucks to hear. I did have to do it twice oddly. The first time I believe it turned back on like you said, but when I did it again I got the ! screen and the gears finally came back up and did their thing.

Joao Silva2

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
That sucks to hear. I did have to do it twice oddly. The first time I believe it turned back on like you said, but when I did it again I got the ! screen and the gears finally came back up and did their thing.

I've tried way more than 20 times by now... I can get to the ! screen. I can do VOLUME UP -> VOLUME DOWN -> but now when i click POWER the phone restarts without the last VOLUME DOWN press :(

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Here's a solution you may want to try out. Again many people on Microsoft forums are claiming this has reverted their phones to Windows Phone 8.1.

http://blog.repsaj.nl/index.php/201...ricked-htc-8x-after-windows-phone-10-upgrade/

According to this page, you're downloading an HTC 8X ROM which is I believe from Russia (cuz you're downloading it from Yandex)

Follow the instructions on page and you may get to 8.1.

I would also suggest you that you don't rush cuz there is still hope that Microsoft will push an update to fix reboot issue.

On the other hand I don't know how will you download update if phone reboots itself in the middle of downloading.

On the third hand waiting for HTC to deliver ROM files to Microsoft is probably not going to happen as thing stands currently.

@GabeAul and @Windows are still ignoring questions about non-Lumia devices.

Last edited:

dirtyrockerss

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
I asked windows phone support if they will fix the issues with the update for HTC 8x, or give a recovery file. They told to try with recovery tool - which doesn't work. Told them that there the recovery tool do not work. This is their answer :

okltej.jpg

I don't think they will fix it soon...

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I did reset to my phone and didn't changed any options like region, language, Wifi during recovery and after this the restart loop is delayed by almost 30-45 minutes.

Some one should try this option and let others know if this is not happened in fluke.

Joao Silva2

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Here's a solution you may want to try out. Again many people on Microsoft forums are claiming this has reverted their phones to Windows Phone 8.1.

[WP10] Solution for bricked HTC 8X after windows phone 10 upgrade | Jaspers' Weblog

According to this page, you're downloading an HTC 8X ROM which is I believe from Russia (cuz you're downloading it from Yandex)

Follow the instructions on page and you may get to 8.1.

I would also suggest you that you don't rush cuz there is still hope that Microsoft will push an update to fix reboot issue.

On the other hand I don't know how will you download update if phone reboots itself in the middle of downloading.

On the third hand waiting for HTC to deliver ROM files to Microsoft is probably not going to happen as thing stands currently.

@GabeAul and @Windows are still ignoring questions about non-Lumia devices.

Thank you, THANK YOU!!! That was the ONLY rom that worked on my HTC 8x! I have an unlocked EU version (bought on UK).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea