HTC 8x won't get Windows 10. [Speculative]

HTC_8X_User

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Thank you. I was afraid this is the solution but, no way to remove it up before auto-installing tonight?
Might be if Microsoft has a fix available before your scheduled Windows 10 update. I'm sure they know that there are a bunch of 8X phones are going to do the install and the user can only stop it with a reset. Thing is though, I think it going to be hard for Microsoft to get the fix in place in a day or two.

HTC_8X_User

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
As you think about Microsoft's options for a fix you might think that they had the 8.1 upgrade for all the 8X phones and they could use it, but I think going back from Windows 10 to 8.1 is a completely different thing than the 8.1 files that they had for that upgrade. To go back I think they need a image to rewrite the phone. 8X phones are used on a lot of carriers so how do they get the images they need to restore a Verizon phone or AT&T, etc. Might be that the carrier does not matter, I'm not sure.

Joao Silva2

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Might be if Microsoft has a fix available before your scheduled Windows 10 update. I'm sure they know that there are a bunch of 8X phones are going to do the install and the user can only stop it with a reset. Thing is though, I think it going to be hard for Microsoft to get the fix in place in a day or two.

Yeah i think it maybe take 3 or 4 days until a fix...

Last edited:

Alex Jong

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
I wonder how many 8X users bought new phones to solve this problem??? I have a no contract Microsoft 735 on the way and should be here tomorrow. (BTW, on the Microsoft list for a Windows 10 free upgrade when ready)

I couldn't wait for the fix. So I went and got the Lumia 640 XL instead.

Mohamed Zaher1

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
development on android ? u mean abandoning old android devices as well. The htc one m7 (which was launched 6 months after the 8x) was officially announced that it won't get any updates after android 5.0.2, which is a memory hog version, what a pity.
To be honest, given htc record with android (the htc one x and x+, anybody remembers?), I am not holding my breath. if htc 8x gets Windows 10 mobile, it would be because Ms has pushed htc not because of the good will of htc.

gabest11

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
But the HTC 8x is not an obsolete Windows Phone, better than most recent Lumia phones. I'd switched already if there was anything available, except the overpriced 900 series.

Peter McNeill1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I also jumped and bought a 640. Must say I like it far more than my 8X. 8X is still a good phone though, but the only advantage I can see is it sounds better for music (as long as you use beats otherwise not a huge difference), in every other way the 640 outperforms it.

HTC_8X_User

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Interesting that no one so far is replacing there 8X with another HTC phone like the HTC One M8. I think the HTC 8X has been a great phone, but HTC's support for Windows has not been real super. It seems like one of the Microsoft phones is a much safer bet for the future.

Last edited:

Alex Jong

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Judging by the current support HTC are giving to their customers esp WP users.. You can't blame us for "jumping ship". WIthout a doubt 8X is a great phone, I don't mind sticking to Windows 8.1. But the small resolutions is hurting my eyes :p

Daniel B1

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm aware there's differences between various HTC 8Xs but it's interesting to note that:
a) some HTC 8Xs seem to have completed the update to WP10TP without issue (although it may have taken some time)
b) some HTC 8Xs seem to have completed the update to WP10TP only after being stuck on gears reboot loop and then having a manual hard reset performed
c) some HTC 8Xs are permanently stuck on gears reboot loop and CANNOT be manually hard reset (cannot reach the exclamation mark screen)

Perhaps there's even a 'd'.. permanently stuck on gears reboot loop even after performing a hard reset from the exclamation mark screen.

In any case, the obvious question is "Why are some of ours bricked while others aren't?"

Since the WP10TP update, mine has been stuck in the gears reboot loop. I've tried all the 'how tos' on how to hard reset the phone and none seem apply to my phone, as no matter what I try, I simply cannot reach the exclamation mark screen. I'm also unable to power off the phone. I realize there's nothing more I can do and my fingers are crossed that Microsoft/HTC will find a solution.

My HTX 8X is Canadian, originally 'Rogers' branded, now unlocked and operating on Virgin Mobile network.
I took a screenshot of my 'about' screen a couple of months ago (on 8.1 Update) and I see that my phone is:

Model: c625a
Firmware revision number: 3030.0.52101.631
Hardware revision number: 0002
Radio software version: 1.23b.32.19.17_15.68b.32.19
Radio hardware version: 2.26.0.D4
Bootloader version: 0.0.3030.0(181178)
Chip SOC version: 8960

I wonder which of those items is in common with others who are similarly bricked, and which is in common with those who have got WP10TP up and running?
Is there 1 thing that's to blame, or multiple? Or.. none?

Maybe relevant, maybe not?.... the evening of the WP10TP update, my phone was sluggish while playing a puzzle game. I checked my free space and it was under 1GB left, so I deleted around 3GB of videos and photos and it seemed to improve immediately. My battery was at 20-30% around 8PM so I plugged it in to the wall charger. Around 11:30PM I picked up the phone and noticed a message on the screen saying WP10TP was now available for my phone. I clicked "Update now" or whatever it was to commence the update. An hour and a half later with it still on 'gears' reboot loop, I went to bed. I woke up in the morning and it was still doing it. And around 11AM, I unplugged, having noticed the red (charging) light wasn't on, and thinking perhaps there wasn't enough charge to complete the gears progress.

There is no way to charge the phone fully.. if I leave it unplugged it will reboot loop until dead, then when I plug it in, it will charge until it has enough power to reboot loop again. If I instead put it into bootloader (barcode) mode or lightning bolt/gear mode to prevent it from restarting, I can get the red light to stay on, but it does not charge

I fear that even if HTC/Microsoft release the Recovery Tool file for our phones, I'm going to run into a problem installing it due to low charge.

Last edited:

samtronX

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
In My case it works fine. But if i restart it. then it goes into a reboot loop. Here are the phone details. And it seems you have an updated version of Firmware and a different version of Chip SOC. And the difference in SOC is just that mine doesn't supports LTE
Model No PM23200
http: //system-on-a-chip.specout.com/compare/286-291/Qualcomm-Snapdragon-S4-MSM8960-vs-Qualcomm-Snapdragon-S4-MSM8260A

wp_ss_20150921_0002(1).jpg

Last edited:

HTC_8X_User

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
My 8X has the older 3030.0.41301.605 firmware version. Other than the micro size founts and I cannot add new tiles to the start screen it seems to works fine, but I believe if I shut it off and back on it would start the reboot cycle. It was doing that after the Windows 10 upgrade and before I did the hard reset. When it was in the reboot cycle it even rebooted when it was shut off. The only way I could keep it from rebooting in the off mode, oddly was to keep it charging with a USB cable.

Right now I'm keeping it charged and leaving it on all the time, waiting for Microsoft's fix to apparently flash it back to 8.1. I've replaced it with a Microsoft Lumia 735 because I expect it will be awhile before Microsoft can offer a fix. To keep it on all the time and not interfere with setting up my new 735 I put it in airplane mode so it is not connected to the carrier network.

Daniel B1

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
In My case it works fine. But if i restart it. then it goes into a reboot loop. Here are the phone details.
Thanks for posting your info. So, to my surprise, the Bootloader version was one of the only things the same! (Hardware revision was the only other thing).

I hadn't included my model # before, mine is PM23300 (it's written on the back of the phone, below the speaker).

Alex Jong

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,
Apparently someone managed to flash from Win 10 to 8.1 using WPRT. But the firmware is 3030.0.52103.841. Mine still not available there though. Sigh.

forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile-insider-preview/382926-2.htm

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss